CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Who would you sign to play defence next year?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wade Redden

23 65.71%
  • Zdeno Chara

7 20.00%
  • Neither - save the money and hire Pat Quinn to play defence.

5 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar

Which would you sign?

Someone's got to start it. Which choice would you make if Ottawa can only sign one of them?

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I'd go with Chara, too big of a guy to give up.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I think Wade is just better for the team in more aspects.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Redden, can anyone better his breakout pass? Chara's inability to clear the puck out of the defensive zone during the Buffalo series was scary.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    No brainer.. Wade
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    As much as they both didn't play to their 'greatness' in the last round and as much as I hate Redden, he would still be my choice over Chara. I will ALWAYS pick a North American player because the cup means something to them....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Chara all the way. I'm pretty sure his hand wasn't 100% and he stillplayed, that shows heart. His size and offensive skills, not to mention is ability to adapt to different positions in different positions, makes him much more valuable then Redden.

redden may have a good break out pass as long as nobody is around but he must have had the most turnovers on the team, well maybe Spezza, and his inablibity to hold the line in the offensive zone cost us big time when it was 5 on 5. redden is a good D-man, but very over rated and when push comes to shove , he would make a nice trade package to get ourselves a real #1 goalie.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    At the start of the season I would have said Chara for sure (and maybe I did), but I don't think Redden's skills are as easily replaced as Chara's. Phillips is a pretty good defensive d-man who continues to improve and would definitely be able to pick up Chara's minutes.

I think if you have to choose between them, you have to keep Redden.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Its a tough choice, but I would lean towards Chara.

When Zdeno decides to play physical he is a dominating force in the defensive end. Forecheckers simply cannot take the puck from him, and he is tough to beat along the boards. Not the best passer but has a rocket of a shot on the power play, so he is an offensive threat as well. However, he is not a great skater and sometimes gets a little lazy and ends up taking a lot of hooking penalties. Still, I think the best is yet to come.

Redden is not only a good passer but is a key part of the power play. His defensive positioning is excellent and he rarely gets caught pinching when he shouldn't, but he is not very physical in front of his own net. He has a tendency to overplay the puck, and tries the stretch pass a little too often. Nevertheless, if he goes the Sens transition game will suffer.

Also, I don't think you can have this discussion without considering $$$. If Chara costs more, that may tip the scales in favour of keeping Redden.

IMHO with Hasek, Arnason and Varada gone and Emery as your #1 goaltender for next year, then you may want to make a determined effort to sign both and let a forward go. Even in the "new" NHL it seems that sound defense is the key to winning in the playoffs.
    Last edited by el tigre; 05-16-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar
    Redden's stock might be the highest right now. I always felt that he was picked for Team Canada because of his offense and not for any defensive skills that he brings. Peddling a player of his stature should bring something good in return. Not sure that I'd go after a goaltender. Emery will be able to do the job in the future. I do wonder about getting a front line, 2 way center...

I do think that the defensive side of Redden's game gets exposed too often. I think that he'd be my choice to move - though I have to say that I respect the effort he put in during the Tampa series.

I have also wondered about Chara's injury and whether that played a bigger factor than anyone was told. He certainly seemed to have a lot of difficulty on his backhand and he wasn't nearly as aggressive as he was in the past.

Given the two, I think that the last thing this team needs is the offense that Redden provides. There is already plenty of offense on the team.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    It depends if they want to rebuild the team, or continue on a similar path to the one they're on now. The current team NEEDS Redden. As much as I dislike him, think he's overrated, and find him to make bad turnovers, our 5-on-5 offense is non-existent without his breakout pass. If our team is going to be a run-and-gun team, we need that first pass. It was evident when he was out of the lineup.

If, however, there are going to be significant changes, I think Chara is the guy to keep. Having a big, dominant D-man on the back line is so important, and he can be that guy.

That said, both players proved entirely ineffective these playoffs, and in a sense, are both expendable. Muckler will keep whichever one fits best with the team he wants to build - it remains to be seen what that team is.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Chara. A much, much more dominant player.

Redden and Alfie should be the bait to trade for a goalie. Emery is not the answer.

If you need to rework the chemistry you trade those two who are really the "core" who have been through all the heartbreakers of the past. Get a goalie and bring in a gritty D-man who can skate and get the puck out of his own zone and take the man in front of the net.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Redden hands down. Chara played so poorly in the playoffs that he probably cost himself at least $1M/season on the UFA market. Without Redden the Sens struggle to get out of their own end. He also is far more effective on the powerplay than Chara. The new rules hurt Chara - he gets called for to many penalties that are a result of just being to strong (sucks to be big). Phillips can give more and without Chara, he may step it up a bit.

If they can afford to sign both, that's great. If not, sign Redden and use the $3.7M from Chara's salary to give Redden and Spezza the pay raises they will demand.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I can't believe that someone said neither...don't quite understand that

Ottawa CAN afford both of these guys under their cap...it might happen. But of the 2, we will sign Redden, and it will cost us less than what Chara's asking.

On trading Redden.....he is a UFA, therefore not much bait to sign a goalie, unless they pull a Hossa, sign and trade....

Alfie is not goalie bait. He'll be the captain next year. All the playoff bandwagon fans will be gone in a day or two and the "trade Alfie" talks will go away.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    It was reported today that Chara is asking for upwards of $8M - does this change anything? Even if he 'settles' for around $7M, I think Ottawa's going to have a hard time keeping both. As for my pick, I'd say Chara. I honestly think he's still developing as a player, and has untapped potential. Also, you can't teach size, and Chara's got lots of it.

Thread Information