CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Myrtle Beach South Carolina

Prompted to write this after reading a piece by Scotty Cameron in March. Our foursome went to MBSC for the second time this year in April. Drive down and stayed half way in Winchester VA (Hampton Inn). No road delays and stayed on the I-95 most of the way, cutting across on the 501 into the middle of MB.
    Played six courses and stayed at Myrtlewood Villas. Did Prestwick CC; Wicked Stick (John Daly Signature); Tiger’s Eye; Arcadian Shores; Wild Wing-Hummingbird; and Myrtlewood-Pine Hills. Accommodation was great, economical (based on quad occupancy). The most playable courses were Tiger’s Eye, Arcadian Shores and Pine Hills. Our group usually shoots in the low 100's to give you some context for my comments. Although nice the other courses were either over rated (Prestwick, Wicked Stick) or just too darn tough for us (Wild Wing-Hummingbird). Courses were in excellent shape, but the dry warm weather there for the last year has helped the greens be fast and true.
    In my research to finding better courses for less cost I have run across an incredible deal called the Seniors Book. Trouble is that you have to purchase in person, $18 to register as a Senior (50+) and another $18 for the book (both USD). Then you can book, 48 hours advance only, for you and your foursome. Others need not register or be 50+. If you are a Snow Bird and stay in MBSC for a month or so then this would be a great deal with reported 75% savings (eg: Wicked Stick $88USD PM rate for $25). Drawback for someone like me/us is that if we arrive on a Sunday we want to have confirmed bookings. It would be a long trip to have to wait to get in. I hear that the book allows you to book on about 70 of the 100+ courses available and that there are no "bad" courses in the area.
    Finally we learned this year that there is a glut of courses and some of the owners are turning the courses into condo developments. It will provide more living/rental spaces and probably drive up the daily course rates over the next few years. Courses closing or nearly there are Wild Wing (dropping from 4 x 18 to 3 x 9) and Bay Tree (3 x 18 to all condos). Also hear that Colonial Charters; East Port and Azalea Sands are on the verge of selling and going into the condo business.
    Keep it in the short grass,
    Kiwi

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Thank you for the trip report. Some golf courses are closing due to property values sky-rocketting, but there are still over 100 golf courses to choose from.....still plenty of golf to go around.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Thread Information