100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    And why is winning the only goal? There are guys on the PGA Tour who will play on it for years, never come close to winning and make a very, very comfortable living.
    I think u missed my comment several moons ago that unless she wants to be a journeyman who finishes career with zippo wins.

Would her playing a career with lots of money/2nd,3rd finishes but no wins would be satisfactory to you?
    Equivalent would be, lets pretend you were a sens fan, would actually making it thru one series this yr only to lose in 2nd round be any more satisfying? Not taste bitter?
    As my friend always says, "2nd place is a first place loser".
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    They are in essence men's tours.
    They are not men's tours. They are open to women who qualify or are exempt. Currently women have only been able to scratch the surface of playing on said tours, but look out donny, here they come. Get over it and get used to it.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I love women, no problem with them golfing against the men. Said so before. Just like them to earn it.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

So why do you feel the criteria should be harder on them than the men? Lots of men get exemptions with a lesser record than Michelle and Michele has the attention of the masses. She gets to play.

Less credentials Dan? Like who?

The point is you don't need any credentials to get an exemption. I have no intention of wasting time reserching players who were given exemptions with accomplishments less than Michelle. You know they exist in good numbers. Your objections to her playing are strong, and IMHO no amount of debate is really going to influence your opinion.

Soon as she wins an LPGA event, the debate of whether she deserves an exemption for an event or two will end.

I am sure none of the men who recieved exemptions in the past had to win an LPGA event (or any event) first.

Without knowing who they are and their resume, I can't comment on that. They were given the exemption for a reason other then being a circus attraction to bring in more money, that's all I can be sure of.

I would expect that the primary goal of all exemptions is to attract some attention. Usually they are less rewarding than getting someone with the draw Wie has.

Without knowing who they are and their resume, I can't comment on that.
    I guarantee no man ever won an LPGA event. It won't be on thier resumes.

You know I meant the "(or any event)" Mr. Cheeky!

If Van De Velde had his way, he'd have an LPGA major by now.

Lol

I think he wanted to make your point for you!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Without knowing who they are and their resume, I can't comment on that. They were given the exemption for a reason other then being a circus attraction to bring in more money, that's all I can be sure of.
    Recently, Brett Hull was given an exemption to a Nationwide Tour event. What, in the game of golf, did he do to deserve that?

Nothing, that's what.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    I think u missed my comment several moons ago that unless she wants to be a journeyman who finishes career with zippo wins.

Would her playing a career with lots of money/2nd,3rd finishes but no wins would be satisfactory to you?
    Equivalent would be, lets pretend you were a sens fan, would actually making it thru one series this yr only to lose in 2nd round be any more satisfying? Not taste bitter?
    As my friend always says, "2nd place is a first place loser".
    What does being a fan have anything to do with this?

There are very few men in the Top 125 of the PGA Tour who will ever win a tournament. Yet they continue to play year after year making hundreds of thousands of dollars every year. Why don't they all just give up and let Tiger, Phil, Ernie and VJ play exhibitions for lots of money? They all get minimum money from the league, and they all pretty much have a sponsor or two. None of them are hurting.

2nd place making a few hundred is pretty sweet.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I don't think Wie would ever finish in the top 15 of a PGA tournament, except maybe the BC Open. She would make more money playing full time on the LPGA.

I don't think Wie would ever finish in the top 15 of a PGA tournament, except maybe the BC Open. She would make more money playing full time on the LPGA.
    What if she doesn't care how much money she makes? By being the only full-time female member of the PGA Tour, she would make much more money in sponsorships than tournament earnings. Tiger may make 10M a year playing, but closer to 80M in sponsorships, and other ventures like appearance fees, if I remember correctly. Also look back to my post on winning in the LPGA, being in first place on the LPGA is 40th on the PGA

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...9&postcount=75

And on the LPGA, she is one woman star amongst many. It's not the top golf Tour in the world, and Wie wants to play on the top Tour.

If she is allowed to play on the Tour, why don't you just let her try, and when she fails, then you can stand up and gloat about how she never had a chance, you know, kick her when she is down. She is doing nothing wrong except make some men uncomfortable with her wanting to play on the PGA Tour, which is acceptable under the by-laws of the PGA Tour.

She's steadily making progress in her golf career. Is it moving forward the way that Donny wants? No. It's moving forward the way Michelle Wie wants, and that is all that matters. She's played in some PGA events, and even made the cut at an International PGA event. And this at 16 years of age. As she matures and gets better, she should have more and more accomplishments. She has set some goals, and is moving towards those goals as she sees fit, and as is permitted by the rules of the various agencies. She can't play amateur events anymore, and is restricted to the number of LPGA events she can play, so where does she play? Professional events that she gets invited to.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Your missing my point colby. I am not saying it is wrong for michelle wie to not want to win. I am not saying she can't play a lifetime of tournaments with no wins. Many good golfers have.
    -My point is, you either want to win or you want to just show up for a cheque.
    Its two different choices.
    At the track I always bet to win, never to show.
    -Doing these stunts like trying for a mens pga cut are not going to get her a win. If she wants to finish dead last like she just did in asia, all power to her.

-All the supporters don't get the strong irritation felt by wienaysayers. If she had won a few times like annika, I would support her, like I did when annika tried.
    -But someone who has a mediocre amateur career compared to most female golfers, going out against men? bigger stronger faster?
    -If there wasn't a male advantage they would allow men to play lpga. They don't. theres a reason.
    -Its kinda like a baseball player trying out for the jays with virtually no triple AAA or double AA experience. Skipping over the lpga to go against men.
    Ain't gonna get a win. A cut? eventually, probably. A win?
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Exactly. Like I've mentioned, it all depends what she wants her legacy to be.

Will her being the highest female earner (whatever she makes when she gets an exemption and makes the cut) on the PGA Tour make her the best female golfer in the world? Or will winning 25% of the LPGA schedule every year make her the best female golfer in the world? She could either be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA or a journeyman on the PGA/Nationwide/Asian Tour who happens to be a woman.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Imagine how many tournaments Tiger would have won had he only played on the Hooters Tour. It's all about winning, right?

Tiger's winning the best tournaments he CAN win, there's no grander stage for him. Michelle should win the best tournament SHE CAN win which is on the grandest stage for her and her equals (LPGA).
    Last edited by fundonny; 05-14-2006 at 10:52 AM.

Tiger's winning the best tournaments he CAN win, there's no grander stage for him. Michelle should win the best tournament SHE CAN win which is on the grandest stage for her and her equals (LPGA).
    But that's your opinion! It may or may not be Michelle's.

Sharkhawk, I guess I did miss your point. As I have been trying to say is that only Michelle truely knows what Michelle wants. Quotes from daddy or former coaches, etc, I generally disregard.

And I really don't care whether she plays or not, whether she wins or not. I really feel that the PGA Tour is for the best golfers. If she can make the grade and stay on the Tour in a capacity that satisfies her, then great! I won't necessarily follow her every move, in fact I tend to watch very little golf, but that's another rant. But I bet there will be millions of women who start to tune into things cheering on possibly the only female on the PGA Tour.

And that means ratings increase, earnings increase, more $$$$ all around. And that is what the PGA Tour is really interested in. Us bickering on the merits of a 16 year old girl is really a moot point that fills in when the weather is too crappy to golf!
    Colby

Fair enough colby. Cheers.

Michelle is sponsored by Omega, who is also sponsoring the European Masters. Guess what? She got an exemption. LOL

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    Recently, Brett Hull was given an exemption to a Nationwide Tour event. What, in the game of golf, did he do to deserve that?

Nothing, that's what.
    he got it so Wayne Gretzky would play in the event as his pro-am partner

Thread Information