CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

From SI regarding Wie

"Michelle Wie finally makes a cut against the boys and it's half-a-world away, against a no-name field on a Podunk tour. Tough break for her two regular stops on the PGA Tour."

Can someone tell me what Podunk is? I know what he's trying to say (Alan Shypnuk from SI), but I don't get it.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    "Podunk" is American slang for hick or backwards. Not sure where it originated.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    It's a sad state when "grown-up" men are dismissing the results of a 16 year old girl playing against men.

Man I hope the collective machismo egos don't wither and die when she makes the cut on the PGA Tour after she matures some more.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    podunk is new to you?

You can't be spending much time in the Gor', or with Gor' boys (Gor = North Gower)

I hear it at least a dozen times a week lol

[SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Is it just me, or does SI have an axe to grind with Wie?

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    Looks to me like a lot of people are scared of a girl showing up the men on the PGA tour and kicking there asses. 16 years old and competeing at such a high level!!! Amazing. No 16 year old biy has done as well as far as I know. I for one wish I had 1/4 of her talent.

Ty Tyron, I think was his name, came and went when he was a teenager. He quit school to join the tour and went nowhere. They had to change the age limits because of him.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Is it just me, or does SI have an axe to grind with Wie?
    I'm starting to think so too. I didn't expect this sort of trash from Shipnuck either - I usually agree with and enjoy his writing. I think everyone is forgetting that this is a girl. A 16-year old girl at that.

While Wie has profited handsomely from sponsorships since turning pro, I think she's being knocked unnecessarily because she has the unmitigated gall to say what she's saying about her goals.

I find it increasingly self-serving for pundits (Shipnuck), be they once-greats / never-were's (ie, one Kevin Haime) to say 'woopdeedoo' and 'keep practising Michelle!' when it comes to Wie making a cut on the Asian Tour. It's almost like we're eagerly anticipating her failure. When was the last time Shipnuck (who is reputedly a pretty good stick) made a cut on the Asian Tour? Ummm.... never, that's when.

If this were a 16 year old boy doing the same thing he'd for one be greatly ignored by the media because they've seen so many like him before, and boys should have lofty goals, so there's no harm in him stating them aloud. Whatever the minimal coverage he'd receive, he'd likely be touted as 'one to watch'.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Ty Tyron, I think was his name, came and went when he was a teenager. He quit school to join the tour and went nowhere. They had to change the age limits because of him.
    it's Ty Tryon

here's his pga tour bio ...
    http://www.pgatour.com/players/intro/285350

not only is his photo a dead link, but the link to his website is also dead.

And while we're on the subject of Tryon ... just an FYI for ppl. He was in the same event that Wie just made the cut in. He missed the cut by 12 strokes.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    And while we're on the subject of Tryon ... just an FYI for ppl. He was in the same event that Wie just made the cut in. He missed the cut by 12 strokes.
    That's priceless!
    Colby

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Podunk means "I'm jealous of Wie and I will try and make her look bad".
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I have nothing but respect for Michelle Wie, If she continues to play with the guys from the championship tees she will learn how to lose gracefully and glean from her adventures on the links. When she finally fully matures she will be another great star that we will be able to tell our grandchildren that we watched grow up on the tour along with Tiger. These two golfers will raise the talent level of all profession golfers and people will learn to admire them for their talent much the same as Jones,Hogan,Snead,Nicklaus,Moe and others.

Ironmaster,

Very well said.
    Colby

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    I have nothing but respect for Michelle Wie, If she continues to play with the guys from the championship tees she will learn how to lose gracefully and glean from her adventures on the links. When she finally fully matures she will be another great star that we will be able to tell our grandchildren that we watched grow up on the tour along with Tiger. These two golfers will raise the talent level of all profession golfers and people will learn to admire them for their talent much the same as Jones,Hogan,Snead,Nicklaus,Moe and others.
    Ditto.....Bravo.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    If I was a player on that so-called "podunk" tour I'd be pissed. Those guy's (and girl) are still good enough to be counted in the top 1% of the global golf population. Sounds like sour grapes to me...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    "Michelle Wie finally makes a cut against the boys and it's half-a-world away, against a no-name field on a Podunk tour. Tough break for her two regular stops on the PGA Tour."

Can someone tell me what Podunk is? I know what he's trying to say (Alan Shypnuk from SI), but I don't get it.
    Just another reason never to read SI again, still haven't since their jackass reporter.

bbad

I have nothing but respect for Michelle Wie. If she continues to play with the guys from the championship tees she will learn how to lose gracefully and glean from her adventures on the links. When she finally fully matures she will be another great star that we will be able to tell our grandchildren that we watched grow up on the tour along with Tiger. These two golfers will raise the talent level of all profession golfers and people will learn to admire them for their talent much the same as Jones,Hogan,Snead,Nicklaus,Moe and others.
    IronMaster: Well said. Just my thoughts around this as well

I think Michelle is a phenomenal talent to come across (whether it be the men's or ladies tour) and many people (mostly men) only focus on her being a woman - must be a inferiority complex thing I guess. I would even hazzard to say that her physical raw talent even surpasses Tiger's at that age - and that's saying something.

It would be a shame if the expectations of Michelle surpassed what is physically feasible for her (which I think it is already) and she be judged by this "rediculously" high bar that the media has put on her shoulders.

She has a lot of potential in front of her and the old dotage of nature versus nurture will greatly influence how Michelle does within the coming years. Let's hope that the powers to be (media and the tour) respect that and allow her to become the player that she potentially can be - not what THEY think she should/must be.

I'd love for her to make the tour with the big guys and be able to compete with them. Would probably be good to cut a few of their ego's down a few notches.

Regarding the expectations: The media did no place these expectations on her, that is a direct result of statements from her and her Dad. Those statements led to many endorsement deals at the age of 16 and to her turning pro at 16. She can't hide behind her age, nor can people say "she's just 16" as a defense because she gave up that shield by turning pro at such a young age. She should face just as much scrutiny as any other professional golfer, because that's what she is.

Andru
    You know what bothers me the most about this Michelle Wie debate. Her critics keep bringing up the idea that she should be playing against the women. She can't she's not a fulltime member of the LPGA. She's only allowed 7 or 8 exemptions a year.

Since she's turned pro her choices are A) Sit at home and Practice B) Futures Tour or C) Exemptions to mens professional events. I use to believe she was doing more harm than good by playing in the mens events but now, you can never lose in golf by playing with a higher calibre player. She's learning at age 16 what Annika learned at age 34. Annika got better after the Colonial.

When I return from watching a PGA tour event for a week. I play my best. I don't know why, it could be the confidence and concentration they display. When you apply it to your own game it's magic. She's getting 1st hand access. I'm very envious.

Regarding the expectations: The media did no place these expectations on her, that is a direct result of statements from her and her Dad. Those statements led to many endorsement deals at the age of 16 and to her turning pro at 16. She can't hide behind her age, nor can people say "she's just 16" as a defense because she gave up that shield by turning pro at such a young age. She should face just as much scrutiny as any other professional golfer, because that's what she is.
    The expectations may be from herself and her father, whose intelligence is questionable to begin with, but there was a lot of hype generated from the media, who was looking for something from the 14/15 year old girl who could hit the ball 300 yards.

And how is her age a shield? She has to mature, and that is what she is doing. And she is facing scrutiny, but most of it is sexist rather than based on her golfing experience that is growing with every event she plays in.
    Colby

Colby, countless people have said "she's just 16, give her a break". I don't think she should get a break because of her age. You turn pro, you're part of the game. Saying "she's just 16, she'll get better" is a very fair statement, but you can't expect the media, fans and critics to go easier on her. The Wie family started a furious PR campaign at a young age, and now Michelle has to deal with it, all of it.

Colby, countless people have said "she's just 16, give her a break". I don't think she should get a break because of her age. You turn pro, you're part of the game. Saying "she's just 16, she'll get better" is a very fair statement, but you can't expect the media, fans and critics to go easier on her. The Wie family started a furious PR campaign at a young age, and now Michelle has to deal with it, all of it.
    Absolutely she has to deal with it and she is.

How many people would love to make the cut on a professional tour? Millions! How many people will? Not that many. And here is a 16 year old girl, who is learning how to deal with the pressures of both playing golf and media, who from a young age has been termed the next best thing by all, not just the Wie family, but the media also. She has had to battle sexist crap from the media like the latest story from SI, BTW a field with KJ Choi isn't all that bad, there are a lot of very good male amateurs who wouldn't make the cut on that "Podunk" tour stop.

And she is learning, and getting better all of the time. Is she doing it the way you or I might? Maybe not. But she is doing it the way she wants to, and she is being successful for where she is in her stage of maturity. If Tiger was 16 and playing the PGA as a pro, would you expect him to win? He went a different route, one that was a little more standard, although he too didn't qualify to play in any tournamnets except the Masters by winning the Amateur, and was given sponsor's exemptions, made enough money and was exempt on the Tour since then.

And most of the people here have been saying that she needs to be given a break because she IS just learning. It's a break because of experience and maturity, not just age. She also needs a break from those that are afraid a girl might show up some men at a game.
    Colby

What did her Dad say exactly? I remember him being critizized for cheerleading and general dorkiness when caddying, but I don't recall what he said about what he expects from her...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Just do a google search and you can find a ton of them. Or search golf digest archives.

Just thought you might have something handy since you're putting on the onus on BJ Wie for the media's overblown expectations.

I've been trying to find controversial BJ Wie quotes about Michelle and her future, but I'm having a hard time... I've googled BJ Wie quotes, BJ Wie controvery, BJ Wie controversial quotes, Wie expectations, Michelle Wie's father, finding little to help justify your claim that her father is the reason why the media has placed such high expectations on her... If you know of some specifics that can enlighten me, please help me out...

Here's what I have found... seems that BJ is a pretty good PR guy, and avoids saying anything too controversial... but his caddying and his overprotective nature of michelle is evident, especially in the Danielle Ammaccapane 'incident'. See below...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...826388,00.html

Some BJ quotes:

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/b._j._wie/

I found this one which some may find controversial regarding her heritage http://www.rjkoehler.com/?p=2753

then there was the whole 'physical confrontation' thing BJ may or may not have had to Danielle Ammaccapane http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br01p.html

Then there is this from Leadbetter on BJ - "Although B.J.'s critics characterize him as a man with an inflexible business sense and a lack of long-term vision, there appears to be an end to his means. "He comes off as very meek and humble, but he's very tough in many respects," Leadbetter says. "He can get very animated at times."" (Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2167196)

There's this - Her parents say Wie will wait until she's 18 to become a member of the LPGA tour. The decision not to petition new Commissioner Carolyn Bivens for a special exemption to the age rule, her dad says, centers around whether his daughter could play the minimum required events. "That's why we're not filing a petition," he says. "Some take it as Michelle's less interested in competing on the LPGA tour, but that's definitely not true. It has nothing to do with her interest in playing the men's tour." (source: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...ie-focus_x.htm)
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Well said Frank, Donny was wrong, you are not just 'another pretty face with a silver thong'
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    That's right I think I'll sing Donnys theme song......"I'm too sexy for my wedge...too sexy for my putter.....too sexy for my tees,.....Ohh, I hear my driver calling I want to go out swinging so hit me pretty plez!!!"

Wrong?????? Moi?

What!!!! you didn't like your new theme song? It took me 15 min. to think it up

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Wrong?????? Moi?
    Ya ya ya I know, in a weak moment you once thought you were wrong, but you realized you were mistaken.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information