100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar

Driver off the deck

Any one have any driver suggesions for a driver that is easyer than most to hit off the deck. Thanks.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Ping IsI or IsITec. If hitting driver off the deck is what you are looking for, these are the best. The small rounded sole and relative shallow face, for a driver, make it "easier" to hit these off the deck than most drivers.

Other options include most drivers pre 250cc plus stage.

Why may I ask are you inquiring about this?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    My first driver, a 330cc canadian tire 30$ model was pretty easy to hit off the deck.

There's really no point to it, though. I saw Ernie hit his Titleist last year off the deck. I don't know if it was the K or the 905, but he didn't even reach the green. Seemed kinda pointless. I think it was the Sony open or Kapalua.

Good luck hitting one of today's 460cc monsters off the deck, though. Best off with a shallow faced strong3. Maybe one of those 12* G2 fws...

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I hit a 905T off the deck the other day ... went pretty far, prolly 15-20 yards shorter than normal, and dead straight...pretty much impossible to hit the sweet spot though, it's just too high up the face.

I think after practicing the shot it will replace the 3 wood in windy conditions as it goes very low
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    I hit a 905T off the deck the other day ... went pretty far, prolly 15-20 yards shorter than normal, and dead straight...pretty much impossible to hit the sweet spot though, it's just too high up the face.

I think after practicing the shot it will replace the 3 wood in windy conditions as it goes very low
    LOL...that is until you find that one lone piece of gravel imbedded in the fw that leaves a divot in your driver. That was the only thing i could think of when i tried it with my first 580. Big skunk stripe right up the middle.

7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar
    does anyone know if the 983k is hardto hit off the deck the reason im asking about what drivers are easy to hit off the deck is for 2 reasons 1 is that im cheap and dont want to spend money on a 3 and new driver and becuase i like haveing 3 wedges and i also have a 5 wood so that would make 15 clubs

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I used to hit my 983K off the deck without problems..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    At least you're honest. Not sure about the K, never tried to hit mine off the deck. Might work.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Have you looked at the new Cleveland HiBore?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    nike sasq would be a good driver to use, it has a shallow face. I can barely hit a driver off a tee or a wood off the deck so will never even consider hitting a driver off the deck

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Of course the correct answer is that no driver is good to hit off the deck .
    I mean if you like the 1 in 10 odds that you won't duff it I guess it's a good play, but if I'm so far out as to consider whacking a driver off the deck, it's time to lay up...

I've got a 983K kicking around somewhere. I'll bring it out tommorrow in place of my 3 wood and see how it fairs (should be FUN, 8.5* lol).

It's sweet spot is high on the face, so it probably won't be possible to make perfect contact, I imagine it will act similarly to the 905T...a little thin and low, but straight and long

2 Iron SkinDawg is on a distinguished road
    buy a strong 3 wood... solves ur problems

9 Iron Vokey Design is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down driver off the deck

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    Of course the correct answer is that no driver is good to hit off the deck .
    I mean if you like the 1 in 10 odds that you won't duff it I guess it's a good play, but if I'm so far out as to consider whacking a driver off the deck, it's time to lay up...
    good advice... LAY UP!

983K worked like a charm ... can't quite reach high enough on the face to catch the sweet spot, but the result is comparable to my 3w, just a lot lower .... great for wind

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You "no driver off the deck" guys are all wimps. I hit that shot at least 3 or 4 times a year.

I promise I will hit at least one on the forum golf day.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    You "no driver off the deck" guys are all wimps. I hit that shot at least 3 or 4 times a year.

Do you want to pay me before you attempt the shot or after?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I rarely hit 3-wood off the deck anymore let alone a driver, and lately my driver has been staying at home anyway. Guess that makes me the King of Wimps - but at least I'm scoring better.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

9 Iron Vokey Design is on a distinguished road

Talking

No I think it is great when I see my playing partners taking a lob wedge from 90 yards or a driver off the deck.. the best part is when they get pissed off just after the shot. It is great fun to watch someone who thinks they are much better than they really are.

Good luck on the forum golf day... why dont you make it you tee shot on the first... tees are for suckers right?

Do you want to pay me before you attempt the shot or after?
    OK, I'll admit it, I'm confused by your comment Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vokey Design
    Good luck on the forum golf day... why dont you make it you tee shot on the first... tees are for suckers right?
    Not a bad idea actually. The first hole at Le Sorcier is a decent par 4 according to the scorecard.

lol it's short and has an elevated tee box...perfect spot to show them the driver off the deck

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    If you can hit your driver without disturbing your tee, and like your trajectory, your good enough to hit a driver off of the fairway. It's really that simple. First you need a relatively shallow swing so you won't hit down on the ball. Then you have to have a driver probably less than 320cc with very little bulge in the face. Even if you do and have all of the above your only going to hit the ball further than your 3 wood about 40% of the time. That's due to the lack of backspin and low trajectory that will make the ball fly a shorter distance in the air. Sure it will roll further but what about those fairways with a slope on them, You are now guaranteed to be in the rough!!!O.K. that being said though, It sure is fun to have that shot come off during a scramble when someone has already powdered a 3 wood up the gut and it's a safe and harmless shot. So my thoughts are get a strong 3 wood for those extra yards or windy day. Just my 2 cents worth, and I know that I'll probably get change back for what it's worth.

Ironmaster has described my swing to a tee, pardon the pun.

I have a very flat swing and come in very shallow. My driver(s) of choice are all Wishon GRT (i.e. no roll on the lower part of the face) so are perfect for hitting off the deck.

The scramble situation you describe is also good. I had one of those at a corporate outing once where I was hitting last. Smoked driver onto the fringe to the disbelief of my partners.

My success ratio is probably less than 30% with this shot though where success is defined as equal to or better than I could do with a 3W.

OK, I'll admit it, I'm confused by your comment Reid.
    What I mean is we'll play the same Par 5 and you hit your second shot with driver while I lay up. Lowest score wins .

What I mean is we'll play the same Par 5 and you hit your second shot with driver while I lay up. Lowest score wins .
    Ahhhh, all is clear now.

I should say that I don't hit driver all the time, but every now and then it's a hoot. For me, when I mis-hit one it ends up being the same as a layup anyway so it's usually not a problem.

Ahhhh, all is clear now.

I should say that I don't hit driver all the time, but every now and then it's a hoot. For me, when I mis-hit one it ends up being the same as a layup anyway so it's usually not a problem.
    I used to hit driver off the fairway all the time before they got over 300ccs. Just not a good play now with the sweetspot about 3 inches up the face .

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I used to hit driver off the fairway all the time before they got over 300ccs. Just not a good play now with the sweetspot about 3 inches up the face .
    Amen and Amen, not to mention that you have to have a swing speed of 100 to 103 just to break even with the 3 wood. If you hit it off the deck, it's just a question of how do you get the needed backspin to have the ball climb into the air, and that's where high swing speed and ball compression comes into play.

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    As I don't hit the driver farther than 250 that often I have been using a strong 3 (13*) and either a 5 wood (18*) or hybrid off the deck. I have a 15* 3 that just never gets in the bag anymore.

Thread Information