100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter newguy_62 is on a distinguished road

Question club recommendations

Hello to all gear heads!

I am a beginner golfer who has been given as a gift a set of custom (sized) golf clubs from a major manufacturer (i.e. Callaway, Taylormade, Nike) - and please don't hit me.

Last year I bought, for a great price and after much, much research, Mizuno tZoid Sure irons (steel sensicore reg) and a couple of of their titanium woods. I found the Sures to be great and with a very nice feel for a cast iron.

Quesiton is, if I need to choose one of the lines of the ones above, what would you recommend for a "complete set" that would be suitable for an interested newbie such as myself?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Happy New Year!

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

Club Choice

www.golfclubreview.com

I would keep which ever club I hit the best, or felt most comfortable swinging. A lot of people mistakenly think only an expensive set of clubs = low scores.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Re: Club Choice

If you're patient enough check out the demo days in your area. If you have been playing for a long time your best bet is cavity back oversized irons. I would stay away from "blades" or if you prefer muscle back irons. And most of all don't fall into the trap of getting stiff or extra stiff shafts unless your swing speed is above 110 miles/hour(not too many people swing the clubs that fast). some do but at the expense of control.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-11-2003 at 01:31 PM.

thanks for replies

Thanks for replies. The problem is I have a rather insistent gift-giver who wants to order my clubs ASAP (direct from the factory in China). That's why I have to somehow figure out which model of those brands would be best suited for me. I won't, therefore, have the luxury of trying them directly other than trying a couple here at the stores. It's a bit odd, but that's the way it is.

I realize that expensive clubs won't dramatically improve my game, but I'm going to have some given to me anyways and want to do something I won't regret too much

Thanks again and any additional thoughts welcome.

P.S.

Re: thanks for replies

In that case I would suggest to get to the store a.s.a.p and maybe try to get some feedback from forum users in the classifieds who have similar clubs for sale.Good luck.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-11-2003 at 01:32 PM.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Unhappy thats too bad

It's too bad you have to choose now. The Ottawa Golf - Travel Show is in march

Lot's of demos there......

Pitching Wedge BigDog is on a distinguished road BigDog's Avatar
    Well, if by "complete set" you mean big stick to flat stick, and given that you're new to the game, I'd recommend TaylorMade. From the R500 series drivers, decent fairway woods in either Ti or steel, 360 irons(or RAC irons, but I haven't seen them), RAC wedges and finishing with a Rossa putter, you'll be ready for the 2003 season.
    On the other hand, if cost is not a factor and you're looking at the high end goods, any brand you choose is going to have a quality product for your skill level, with maybe the exception of Nike(as they only make irons for lower handicappers and no putters). So really, it boils down to what inspires the most confidence when you're standing over a golf ball. Give them all a shot, maybe one particular model appeals to you more than others. And unless you're contractually bound to go with the same brand head to toe, try mixing and matching. Just remember, $3000 clubs + $0.05 swing = $0.05 golf shot, you'll have a head start with the clubs, now get some lessons with all that money you've saved!!
    Few things in life help you find sanity in the process of losing it. Golf is one of them.

Pitching Wedge BigDog is on a distinguished road BigDog's Avatar
    Well, if by "complete set" you mean big stick to flat stick, and given that you're new to the game, I'd recommend TaylorMade. From the R500 series drivers, decent fairway woods in either Ti or steel, 360 irons(or RAC irons, but I haven't seen them), RAC wedges and finishing with a Rossa putter, you'll be ready for the 2003 season.
    On the other hand, if cost is not a factor and you're looking at the high end goods, any brand you choose is going to have a quality product for your skill level, with maybe the exception of Nike(as they only make irons for lower handicappers and no putters). So really, it boils down to what inspires the most confidence when you're standing over a golf ball. Give them all a shot, maybe one particular model appeals to you more than others. And unless you're contractually bound to go with the same brand head to toe, try mixing and matching. Just remember, $3000 clubs + $0.05 swing = $0.05 golf shot. Now go get some lessons with all that money you saved!!
    Few things in life help you find sanity in the process of losing it. Golf is one of them.

Pitching Wedge RoyalQ is on a distinguished road
    You're a very lucky guy!

Given the choice you're facing, I'd definitely go with Callaway products.
    You're new to the game and they are known as some of the friendliest & easy to hit clubs, especially their iron lines. And if for some reason you don't like them their resale value is head & shoulders above all the others. The only other manufacturer with a reputation as solid as Callaway in that range would be Ping, but those (irons) are not made in China. IMO, Taylor Made is no match for those two.

Again, you're a lucky guy newguy!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Callaway is your safest bet - you might eventually find others you like better, but very few golfers DISLIKE hitting Callaways. And the resale value is very good if you want to trade them in down the road. I personally like Taylor Made products, so I would have no problem recommending them as well.

But if I were in your shoes, I would do a lot of online research (the golfclubreview site mentioned by Andre Cantin is excellent), and the I would call up some of the golf pros/schools to see if they will do a "clubfitting session". This involves analysing your swing to see what features and characteristics you should be looking for in your clubs based on your swing, and then making recommendations. It is better to do this outdoors, but it might work at Thunderbird or with the simulators at Ottawa-Carleton Discount Golf. I think it costs around $50.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Unfortunate situation with so little time to decide. Hopefully it isn't a waste of money.

But...if I had to choose, I would definetely go with TaylorMade. If you don't like them, then I'll gladly buy them off of you.

Thanks

Wow - an active board!

Appreciate the input. Yeah, I know it's a bit dumb to have to do it this way, but there you have it.

From what I can tell and from the additional input, it sounds like the Callaways might be a bit of a better bet as they apparently have less "personality" than the Taylormades. I'm sure they're both great.

Probably should be Great Big Bertha 2 driver and woods, but should it be the Big Bertha irons or the Hawkeye? They both look like prety forgiving "game improvement" clubs.

Once again, thanks for all the input, and I'm pretty impressed with the level of activity on this board! I guess you're missing the links.

Cheers

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by newguy_62
    Once again, thanks for all the input, and I'm pretty impressed with the level of activity on this board! I guess you're missing the links.
    Me too.
    Thanks guys. It sure is nice to see so much assistance being offered this last week or so!

serious golfer

It is too bad that you have to buy on impulse although you can't turn down a gift of that magnitude. It is my opinion that any serious golfer should go through a fitting session at least once in their lifetime. It takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation. Anybody can walk in at CB and do a lie test with a 5 or 4 iron and if need be and for a nominal fee they will ajust the lie for you. Others offer computer analysis as well...It is worth it.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

something doesn't smell right

The problem is I have a rather insistent gift-giver who wants to order my clubs ASAP (direct from the factory in China).
    newguy_62, I don't know any major manufacturer that allows you to buy directly from them without going thru a retailer let alone buy directly from their off-shore factory.

Not to be pesimistic but it sounds to me like you will be getting a are set of OEM clones and not the real deal. If they are the real thing let us know and maybe we can put orders in too?

BTW, I use Callaway and would highly recommend them, especially for a new golfer. I've owned both Hawkeyes irons and X14 Pro Series but I believe Callaway touts their new Big Bertha irons as their most forgiving ever.

Good Luck.

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    I wish selecting a proper set of clubs could be determined through an email.

As a club fitter, I recommend you get fitted. Would you buy a suit without trying it on or because someone told you the blue one over an email?

Thread Information