CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Short game fix.

Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road

Short game fix.

I usually aspire to break 90, and I often shoot 88/89. But I sometimes score in the high 70’s low 80’s. My bain is the 39/49 or 49/39 game, usually a result of a 40% fairways hit in regulation (FIR) record.

I have fixed the FIR with a KZG driver. I am now more like 85%. BUT through all of this, my short game was always fairly good and often very good. Up and down % around 80% from anywhere near the green.

And this is how that happened. One year I went to the 19tee frequently at the beginning of the season. I go there because they have a pitching green that is free with a bucket of balls. I calculated that I spent 6 hrs hitting wedges, 45 minutes hitting balls and 1 hr hitting free wedge shots, time 6 times out. Probably over a period of 2 ½ weeks.

With 6 hrs practice you can learn, and perfect, any kind of wedge shot. I learned how to play with a different stance, a different club, open or closed and everything in between. I probably tried every shot imaginable, just to see what would happen. I learned how to pop a ball straight up in the air with a wide open 60 degree. I used that in a match to go straight up and over an 8 foot tree and land (blind) beside a pin that was 2 paces off of where my ball sat. But the key was that I could make any shot I wanted, on the course, with confidence. I had done it all dozens of times before. And I also knew what didn’t work so well. NOTHING WAS NEW.

So every year I try to spend about 6 hours practice hitting wedges at the beginning of the season. It works for me – big time. Now I aspire to break 80, and I did it twice last year. Oh yea, with two young daughters I get out a maximum of 10 times a season. Did I mention that I am 53 years old?

Jim

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If I only had the time to get out max 10 times I would be spending 2 hours at a driving range! Get out and play 9 holes if that's all you have time for but enjoy the game and forget about practicing a shot that you will use maybe once every 10 rounds (High Flop over trees). I've played 10 rounds already this year (my course has only been open 2 weeks) and haven't spent that much time practicing. I like Geoff's theory of practice on the course. At least this way you get to play golf, you can fool around with a wedge in your back yard!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Jim. Flop shot from a fluffy lie? Can you flop a shot from hardpan?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    If I only had the time to get out max 10 times I would be spending 2 hours at a driving range! Get out and play 9 holes if that's all you have time for but enjoy the game and forget about practicing a shot that you will use maybe once every 10 rounds (High Flop over trees). I've played 10 rounds already this year (my course has only been open 2 weeks) and haven't spent that much time practicing. I like Geoff's theory of practice on the course. At least this way you get to play golf, you can fool around with a wedge in your back yard!

I think you misinterpreted Jim's comments. He does not get out often cause of family obligations but with his practice drills he has managed to shoot rounds below 80. Which comes down to mastering the short game to lower your scores. Good stuff JWWRMA
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by JWWRMA
    Up and down % around 80% from anywhere near the green.
    With all the emphasis on driving the ball long and having the very latest, technologically advanced equipment, the truth still is that if you don't have a good short game and can putt, you can't score. Spending as much time on the short game and putting, as you do on full swing ball striking, by experimenting and practicing the short shots that one will encounter around the greens, will pay huge dividends in the scoring department.

Forgive me if I am wrong here, but I question your 80% up and down percentage, and here is why. After 8 games this season, I am a total of 6 under par, with an up and down percentage of 52.6. My handicap is either 0 or +1 (computer not up and running yet). 80% up and down is characteristic of a +4 or +5 handicap or PGA Tour professional and yet you "aspire to break 90." "Up and Down" normally means getting up and down for par or birdie on par 5's, not bogies or doubles. What am I missing here?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I think you misinterpreted Jim's comments. He does not get out often cause of family obligations but with his practice drills he has managed to shoot rounds below 80. Which comes down to mastering the short game to lower your scores. Good stuff JWWRMA

I understand fully and it is commendable that he can still score will when he gets out because he has a good shot game. I am saying that if you can only get out 10 times a year, don't waste so much time on a range and instead get out maybe 15 times and enjoy the actually game of golf. You can practice little chip shots at home quite easily.

Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road
    Interesting comments.

Flop shot from hard pan - ah no. But I know enought not to try.

Up and down 80% - well maybe just wishfull thinking, but I can usually put it close to the pin with any of my wedges and I am a fairly good putter.

I hit a flop-type shot numerous times a round because, as I mentioned - not so great with my 5-7 which leaves me off the green (GIR is abismal) but within 20 yds and often within 5. Being that close makes it too easy to quit on your wedge shot - kiss of death. With an open face I can still swing fairly hard and only fly 5 yds.

Thread Information