+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

Anyone have any cheat sheets?

I just finnsihed my last exam, coming to ottawa!!!! WOOOHOOO

Anyone have any cheat sheets they've made for glenmar, greensmere, irish hills, meadows and of course loc march? Why don't they provide yardage books if they don't have GPS? Anyway, thanks in advance.

Depe150@Hotmail.com

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I posted last year suggetsing that we pool our resources (cheat cheats, books etc) for all the local courses, but nobody replied ...

maybe we'll get some luck this year
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    I posted last year suggetsing that we pool our resources (cheat cheats, books etc) for all the local courses, but nobody replied ...
    maybe we'll get some luck this year
    I didn't reply because I don't have any cheat sheets yet. I keep too much in my head. I should take time to write it down. But every time I get out on the course, my hands gravitate to my clubs and my pencil and paper collect dust. After the round, my hands are busy on cold beers... then.. it's too late. Maybe if I did this for a living, I might have incentive to write it all down... Maybe.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I'd make a cheat sheet if I could control where it goes. Fairway / rough is all I can ask for at this point

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am working on one for Manderley. All 27 holes are done up to this point. I have to do the close ups of the greens, but I have them all hand sketched now. A few other ods and ends and finishing touches to go.

that's looking really good Dan

Wasn't expecting that kind of resolution ... what prog were you using to put the layers over the sat images ... looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I am working on one for Manderley.
    Well, ain't that the cat's *ss! Good job, Dan! Any more in the works?

My problem is getting a scale drawing of the holes at my course. It's not in high resolution with Google, and I don't have access to anything other than a rangefinder.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

I know Dan was mentioning to me earlier that he had been using google earth (the download one, not the webbased) ... must get decent resolution ... I'm curious to see what was used to put the touches on the images though ... it's very slick

"Richard"
    lets say I want to do irish hills. How would I even go about doing this? Do I just stand at each tee and laser to anything and everything of importance. If you let me know, next time (not this time) I'm in ottawa I'll do the whole course. I know some of the courses have "course tours" and they have the layout of each hole (ex meadows) but they are no yardages. Just little blurbs at the end of each sketch. What exactly is supposed to go on a cheat sheeet?

"Richard"
    I am working on one for Manderley. All 27 holes are done up to this point. I have to do the close ups of the greens, but I have them all hand sketched now. A few other ods and ends and finishing touches to go.
    I apologize in advance for the following, I couldn't resist!

HOLY SHEET!

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    What exactly is supposed to go on a cheat sheeet?
    Basically, you want to know how far it is to obstacles and hazards (as well as ideal driving areas) in the fairway. You want to have all or most of the obstacles and hazards marked. You want to have yardages to the green from the various landmarks or hazards to calculate your shots into the green. Depth, width and elevation of the green are pretty necessary too. Many cheat sheets will identify places to avoid and places to aim for on the green. An idea where the slopes are on the green would be a bonus.

Extras include how wide the fairway is, especially in the landing area. Markings should indicate OB, water and sand hazards, slopes, hills, trees, cartpaths, anything that could regularly come into play. Elevations could be helpful on holes where it's material, maybe prevailing winds. Also, notes about special places to avoid or places you want to be would be helpful.

[/color]

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Help!!! I'm trying to plan out a cheat sheet for lesorcier and I got really confused when I try to find number 8 and 9 holes, It only makes sense if number 9 finishes up in the middle of nowhere and not near the clubhouse. Is this right?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Yep, number 7 goes to teh clubhouse if I remember correctly, then you go to hole 8 after stopping for a refill on the Biere O'Keefe or Molson Golden.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, I'm glad it wasn't just another senior moment

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    that's looking really good Dan

Wasn't expecting that kind of resolution ... what prog were you using to put the layers over the sat images ... looks great!
    Thanks, Actually the image posted is only 25% resolution of what I am working with. Print requires far more resolution. These will print at 300 dpi on 3x5 inch pages.

I am using Google Earth which includes a measuring tool that has metric and imperial units from feet to miles. Some courses are better rendered than others, depends on the images they provide. The mgoogle measured yardages have been confirmed with my rangefinder.

The graphics software is Photoshop, my favorite toy.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks, Actually the image posted is only 25% resolution of what I am working with. Print requires far more resolution. These will print at 300 dpi on 3x5 inch pages.

I am using Google Earth which includes a measuring tool that has metric and imperial units from feet to miles. Some courses are better rendered than others, depends on the images they provide. The mgoogle measured yardages have been confirmed with my rangefinder.

The graphics software is Photoshop, my favorite toy.

What is the plan for these images? Yardage book for sale in the pro shop?
    Back at it.

"Richard"
    Dan, I'm giong to ottawa today and will be working at my dads store pretty much everyday after my early rounds starting saturday. If you tell me what to download, how exactly you are doing this I can do a few courses while in town. I'll have about 7 hours a day of NOTHING to do. Better yet, if you post a tutorial I'm sure others would help out as well.

They will be made available for download and hopefully into books too. They look ok now, but are not anywhere near ready yet. At this level of rendering a course it is a lot of work. 27 holes is 50% more work.

There is no download for Photoshop. It is the industry standard pro graphics package.

Google "Google Earth" I am sure you'll find it. Use the measure tool for yardages

Take screenshots of google earth and draw your own layers over them in whatever graphics program you use.

That's about it.

"Richard"
    I have photoshop already, my sister is a graphics designer so its installed on the work computer.

Why draw it out by hand? why not just use the "course tour" pics provided by the course? Or is that not accurate? I'll download all this stuff when I get to ottawa (google earth) and give it a shot

But is the resolution good enough for each hole? I remember trying google earth when it first came out and the resolution wasn't the greatest. Maybe its changed since then

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Why draw it out by hand? why not just use the "course tour" pics provided by the course? Or is that not accurate?
    But is the resolution good enough for each hole? I remember trying google earth when it first came out and the resolution wasn't the greatest. Maybe its changed since then
    Google Earth is very accurate. They are photos. As for resolution, it depends on the quality google has. Many are freaking awesome.

"Richard"
    ok sounds good, I will check it out when I get into ottawa

I need a good project to keep me out of trouble

I'm gonna map Carleton G & CC

I will do my best to get it ready by end of May so that the CPGA qualifiers can d/l it

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If you're interested, I have cheat sheats on Irish Hills and a Player's Guide that Loch March gave out. The latter, I am keeing, but I would be happy to copy it for you. As for the cheat sheets, I prepared them prior to Intersectional Matches that I played there a few years ago. Those I can copy also.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think that all course should invest in yardage books. Either give them out with the green fee or charge $2 or something for them like at Renfrew.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I think that all course should invest in yardage books. Either give them out with the green fee or charge $2 or something for them like at Renfrew.
    They should. But they hardly mark their courses. I would be interested in how accurate the 200/150/100 markers really are on these courses. Good yardage books are not cheap, and they would actually have to have someone go out and map out the course which is even more $$$.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I'm gonna try and map local Clublink courses starting with Greyhawk. Google Earth has up to date pictures of Predator and Talon which Google Maps doesn't (at least last time I checked).

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Anyone got one for Metcalfe?

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Great thread everyone. Look forward to the finished product Dan. (I play Manderley the most)

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    They should. But they hardly mark their courses. I would be interested in how accurate the 200/150/100 markers really are on these courses. Good yardage books are not cheap, and they would actually have to have someone go out and map out the course which is even more $$$.

Totally agree with you and I have always been wary of the accuracy of clubs markers, but one would think that a course would want to have an accurate assessment done for the one uses such as course improvements or for tax assessment.

Thread Information