CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Unhappy Help fixing my fade...

I'm trying to fix my slice/fade when I hit my driver. This only happends when I hit the driver. I'm pretty straight with my irons, up to my 5.

My driver is a Ping Si3 with a reg flex and 9* loft. I shoot right, and the ball either starts straight, then goes right as the ball reaches its peak height and as it decends, continues to the right. Or, I hit it left to right, as it starts to the left, comes across my line, and lands on the right. Oh, and a few odd times I hit it straight, few and far between.

Is it my plane angle? Am I coming outside in? I assume the clubface is still open for it to fade too.

Thanks for any help!!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The easist thing would be to get a driver with higher loft. If you don't have the big banana, a littl emore loft can make things more managable. I would go with 10.5° min. The fade isn't a bad shot but a slice is, because you will lose a lot of distance. I found that to cure my old slice I did three things. First, take a stronger grip with the V's of my hands pointing more towars my right shoulder. Second, was loosen the grip pressure and tension from arms. Third, is flatten out my swing. You could be taking it to vertical and are coming across. One thing to watch for is not to get to dramtic in the flattening part and come over the top to come back on plane. I mirror works well for this. Try and get your shoulder to be in the mddile of your triangle of your arms at the top of your swing. If you drop the club from here it should fall on you shoulder and point down target. you can see this in a mirror. This is the theory that has helped me, but like everything when my timing is off anf when things are just off in general, the slice/fade with the big stick is still my major factor. The only thingthat changes is how often it pops up, in the beginning of the season i couldn't hit he driver at all, went back to the basic as listed above and worked with the mirror and things are back. Still have the odd hole but even the pros have that, so nobody is perfect, except BC Mist!

Thanks, I'll try those tips. I'm in the midst of getting a 10.5* reg flex driver as we speak, I think that should help. I demo'd a ping 12* and everything was dead straight, although when I tried it, I had a heavy tail wind helping me, not sure how much that helped in keeping it straight. I hope a 10.5* is enough.

"Richard"
    a tailwind will only contribute to it going straight a little, it will make it go farther. If you were hitting them straight it was because there was less side spin because of the greater loft. If you hit it stright, get that one. I am thinking of selling my 430q and getting a 12* g5 after reading geoffs thread

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Easiest thing is to check your grip and make sure you don't have a weak grip.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Fixing the fade

The best way is to learn to hit a draw! and the easiest way to do that is (1) tee the ball higher than you normally do, (2) line up on the toe of your driver at address and last (3) at address pull your back foot 2 inches back from your front foot. Normally you only need one thing to hit a regular draw but if you slice the ball you might need all three. Try any combination if you have to. As long as your set up is correct these three tips should fix that easily.

Good luck!

TP

I find that toe trick has never worked for me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I am thinking of selling my 430q and getting a 12* g5 after reading geoffs thread
    Woohoo! I think I converted somebody! Smoothie, try the more lofted driver first. Straighter and a little shorter is always better than longer and in the woods/water/rough/sand etc.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Also see "How to Draw and Fade" post by Rezadue

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    get an offset closed face driver. Bye bye right side.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Still have the odd hole but even the pros have that, so nobody is perfect, except BC Mist!
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Very funny, but how true. Proof: Played 18 yesterday and had an easy two under 70. Mens' Night followed and on #3, a 155 yard par 3, I turned the sod over the ball and it dribbled about 80 yards. Followed this with a shank, almost in the bush, whacked it into the greenside bunker, chunked the sand shot onto the green 50' from the hole. Yup, I made the putt. This on the same hole where I hit my iron a foot from the cup the first time around. In this cruel game of golf, just when you think "I've got it," the golf Gods take it all away.

Gap Wedge zhangtony is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's your swing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie
    I'm trying to fix my slice/fade when I hit my driver. This only happends when I hit the driver. I'm pretty straight with my irons, up to my 5.
    If you hit your 3 iron straight all the time, you still have same
    problem.then maybe you need one new driver.

My driver is a Ping Si3 with a reg flex and 9* loft. I shoot right, and the ball either starts straight, then goes right as the ball reaches its peak height and as it decends, continues to the right. Or, I hit it left to right, as it starts to the left, comes across my line, and lands on the right. Oh, and a few odd times I hit it straight, few and far between.

The driver 9*loft is fine. The key is shaft flex. Reg flex is perfect.
    Is it my plane angle? Am I coming outside in? I assume the clubface is still open for it to fade too.

For sure, your swing plane is outside in.

Thanks for any help!!
    1.Try keep your head as quiet as possible.
    2. Keep on working your shoulder rotation.
    3. Dont' move your right leg when you backswing.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Start by making sure the clubface is square at address.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    While that might sound trivial it's good to verify, especially since you mentioned you start to drift with the longer clubs.

I tried a few things today at the range. The quickest fix was using a stronger grip. I'd leave the clubface pointing to the target line, then just readjust my grip so that the logo on my golf glove was turned and pointing almost directly away from me. This works for the time being, but I find my ball flight to be quite low. A 10.5* driver is on the way so I hope that helps as well.
    Thanks for all the help!

Would do you mean buy the logo point away from you? To me that sounds like a weaker grip? A really strong grip would have the logo point almost straight up, which make you hook the ball. Could be just the way you wrote it or the way I reading it.

Instead of the glove logo facing the target, I moved my grip and turned it to the right at address so that its facing perpendicular away from me, where my toes are pointing. I think we are talking about the same thing....

Thread Information