CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Interesting observation today

Played a round today and it was one of the first with very calm winds (for my course anyways). A fellow forum member was kind enough to ship me one of his drivers to try.

Its a Nike Ignite with a Harrison Pro 2.5 Titanium 70 s-flex shaft. Now here's the kicker, its a Lucky 13*.

I figured I'd be hitting 210-220 pop up off the tee with this thing. Well to my amazement nothing but 250-270 drives. All carry though depending on the breeze today. Even hit a few 250-260 into the breeze today. (No "Richard we are not getting into your discussion again about carry yardages with the driver). I sweep the ball of the tee so I was quite amazed with the result. No I'd find it hard to crank one out there 300 on a good day with favourable conditions but I'll take straight and 250-270 anyday.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has considered going to more loft? I would highly recommend it. Going to give the driver another run tomorrow to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

(Just in case you want to know, my regular driver is a Titleist 983K 10.5* w s-flex Harrison Striper J 70)
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 05-01-2006 at 09:44 PM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've tried a few higher loft drivers. For me however they didn't work. I hit a pretty high ball with the driver to begin with and it was just too high with a 12 or 13* loft.
    Your results may of course vary. You're already using a 10.5 and are uncomfortable with lower lofted drivers if I recall correctly. Could be that more loft is exactly what you need .

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    What length do you hit with your 983K?

Dave

I usually have always played 9.5 or 10.5 lofts. I'm only uncomfortable with 9* and lower. Only real reason is for accuracy.

DavidY, I can get the ball out there with my 10.5. Haven't really been tracking yardages because I know where I usually am at my course. But with the Ignite I was tracking yardages to see how it stakes up. And to my surprise there was a few times I was out there with the Ignite I would almost be with my driver. Very eye opening.

Only thing is I get next to no roll. So the K is longer in that respect, but the Ignite is much straighter. So the Ignite is almost carrying as far as some drives with the K end up. But when I really step on it I can get the K out there to 300ish in favourable conditions. Only real way I think I could get the Ignite out there 300 would be with a 50KM/H tail wind.

But my course isn't overly long so not sure I need the extra length. But when the wind picks up though I'm pretty sure the Ignite might be a hinderence. I might just have to go with the Lefty two driver set up.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I went with a 13* also (to help with a wicked slice),and have also noticed an increase in distance compared to when i didnt slice a 10.5*
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I had the same conclusions when I tried a 12* driver, compared to my usual 9*. Around the same distance, maybe a bit further with the higher loft, but damn did that thing go straight. So I'm on the hunt for something in the 11* and up range for a driver.

I was wondering that as well. Kind of wondering about an 11 or 12*, maybe get a little more roll or perhaps a better trajectory for better carry. Only thing is its real tough to find one in a demo with out it having an A-flex or R-flex shaft.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Ya, I test drove a few through Chuck Brown, not sure what they have in a stiff flex.

"Richard"
    I loved my 11.5 g2 driver but sold it to free up some cash to get other stuff. nothing wrong with a 13* driver, you will get a lot less side spin with it so less slice... straighter drivers = longer drivers. What is your swing speed geoff? maybe 11.5 would be a good loft for you to maximize your distance.. I'm sure you will get a 11.5 and 12 to try

I'm thinking of going with two drivers. Because of my slice, set up the 430q in draw mode when I get to ottawa and get a nice 13* driver as well. I'll still only be at 13 clubs

Last time I checked (about 2 years ago) it was between 108 and 112. But that was with one of those dinky monitors that go on the ground behind your club and you swing over it. The manager at a local store told me they are within 5% of being accurate. But he didn't say if that was on the high or low side. When I'm in the sims at GT is says anywhere from 98-102ish but I believe the sims come up with numbers based on ball speed, spin, location, trajectory height etc so not sure how accurate they are. I've seen some of my friends swing who know their SS and they say mine is faster and they are around 100ish. One day I might go and find out my numbers but I'm not too concerned with it if I'm hitting the ball well.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I loved my 11.5 g2 driver but ...
    For what it's worth, I've heard on more than one occassion that most Ping drivers are really more lofted than the number on the bottom would have you believe. Have you ever had your driver's loft measured?

MJF

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I've heard on more than one occassion that most Ping drivers are really more lofted than the number on the bottom would have you believe. Have you ever had your driver's loft measured?
    about 1.5* higher than listed.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I was in to Nevada Bob's today and saw a used Ping G2 marked at 15 Degrees (maybe even 15.5, I can't remember.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Check your egos at the door boys ! I've been preachin more loft for the past 2 years. Lets not forget the design of the head and the plane of your swing. Also your OPTIMUM swingspeed ( the# that gives you the best results,not the average of 10 swings ). TP heads are designed with a higher center of gravity and a square face thus affecting the effective loft of the club at impact. A hooked face and a lower center of gravity increases the effective loft at impact. This is why one particular brand of driver is not worthy of all the hype it might get. They all have there own nuances that make them react differently with each individuals swing. For example, a 460 head (wich will permit the distribution of a lot more weight) with the weight back and low in the head = 1*to 2* of loft.A 1* hooked face = another * of loft. The face is 10 * Total--- 13 * of effective loft. Don't be fooled by the # on the bottom of the club. The manufactuers know that high #'s on the bottom of the head is not good marketing. The best combination is :
    OPTIMUM SWINGSPEED + EFFECTIVE LOFT and a shaft that will accomodate your swing tempo and swing plane.
    Conclusion : A driver that says 12*, a low center of gravity and a hooked face,in reality actually plays like a 15* club and you can pound it ! Sounds like its all good to me.
    Last edited by downhillslider; 05-02-2006 at 11:21 AM.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    about 1.5* higher than listed.
    Interesting... I just picked up a 9 degree g5 with a graffaloy prolaunch shaft... I think i'll go get the loft measured somewhere... but where? artisan? nevada bob's? while I'm at it i might get the loft measured on my 9 degree Nike 400cc, for comparison's sake...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    Interesting... I just picked up a 9 degree g5 with a graffaloy prolaunch shaft... I think i'll go get the loft measured somewhere... but where? artisan? nevada bob's? while I'm at it i might get the loft measured on my 9 degree Nike 400cc, for comparison's sake...
    Bring it over, I'll measure it for you.

I'm in Stittsville

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Thanks! I'll try to drop by later this week!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

higher loft driver.

Hey Geoff, glad that you hit the ball far and straight today, i will be calling you at work tonite and bringing the PT driver to exchange for those balls,and i also have a Titleist 11 degree driver if you are interrested, i think its a 975d model with a Proforce XL reg. graphite shaft,cheers
    Mark.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    When I went thru my callaway fitting last yr he said loft is pretty irrelevant in comparing to other people.

1. He said,As mentioned earlier, lofts often don't match the labelled loft.
    and most importantly...
    2.He said, It depends on your personal angle of attack combined with swing speed.

He said I swing up on the ball, explaining my high launch angles (too high) combined with about 98mph club speed.

That is why it is so important to seek out an opp to try different clubs shafts lofts.
    That 13 degree driver may be equivalent to a 10 if the person hits down on it, just for example.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    Hey Geoff, glad that you hit the ball far and straight today, i will be calling you at work tonite and bringing the PT driver to exchange for those balls,and i also have a Titleist 11 degree driver if you are interrested, i think its a 975d model with a Proforce XL reg. graphite shaft,cheers
    Mark.
    Great. Talk to you later Mark. Should be at work by 7ish tonight. As for the D, no need for it now, but thanks for the offer.

And in case anyone is curious, pounded the 13* again today. Even into the wind.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Geoff a friend of mine has that same driver, but it has a Regular Stock Fuji in it. I have hit it a few times when we have golfed together. One of the par 4's at my course is 376 yds. I hit the Lucky 13 on it and had exactly 75 yards into the green. Like you I was amazed at the distance off that thing. Slight draw as it is closed a little. Nice ball flight.

Another guy I golf with just went to a KZG 12* with a Grafalloy Blue Stiff in it. He bombs that thing. The KZG has a closed face and he has basically eliminated the right side of the fairways now.

I also know an older gentleman who has gone to the 13* Sasquatch, I got an email from him last week and he said he is hitting his drives further now than he was 5 years ago with a 10.5* driver.

I have also hit a 12* on the range and was amazed at the distance.

Now you know why Mr Wishon states most of us should be hitting higher lofted drivers.
    Afterall the longer the ball is in the air the further it is going to get down that fairway

This is the reason most higher handicappers would be better off leaving a driver out of their bags and hitting 3 woods. Add a hybrid club in place of the driver. For years I never owned a driver. I hit my TaylorMade Supersteel 15* all day off the tees, and I made quite a few eagles on Par 5's and a couple of Par 4's by hitting that club off the tee. Never had any fear of missing a fairway with it, slight draw. Hammered it hard since I have so much confidence in hitting it straight.

Good for you to acknowledge that the higher lofted driver worked well for you.
    Last edited by Golfbum; 05-02-2006 at 08:05 PM.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I like your last line. But regardless of my observations, how many will actually go out and try a high lofted driver? My ego is firmly in check now. My course is not all that long, windy at times, but not long. So unless I go to a course that is longer I really have no need to bomb them out there 300+ any more. I'll take 250-275 and straight everday. Hope I have changed the mind of a few.

"Richard"
    Golfbum, are you saying you hit a 13* driver 375 yards? I'm a bit confused. 376 yard far 4 and you you had 375 into the green.

Geoff, nothing wrong with hitting a 13* driver, straighter is better.

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Golfbum, are you saying you hit a 13* driver 375 yards? I'm a bit confused. 376 yard far 4 and you you had 375 into the green.

Geoff, nothing wrong with hitting a 13* driver, straighter is better.
    What are you talking about, 375 into the green? SEVENTY FIVE YARDS INTO THE GREEN. Meaning 300 off the tee, and that is on a lasered course. So the yardages are correct. Mind you if you carry the ball 260 on that hole you can catch a little slope towards the green to give you the extra yardage. Since I am not on tour I can't carry it 290+ in the air.

"Richard"
    It said 376 and 375, not 376 and 75 as it NOW reads. Everyone can see that you edited your post at 8:05pm. Just admit that you made a typo rather than trying to make me look stupid. Game of gentlemen eh?

OK guys, enough. Don't make me close this thread as well.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I think they should play together on the 20th
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

So I made a typo error and edited it and corrected it. Even with that anyone could have figured out I did not hit a driver 1 yard off the tee

Geoff, if you peg it lower with that driver can you keep the ball flight down? Just curious since I have only hit one like that a couple of times. My buddy tee's his up pretty high when he hits it.
    So I am curious, if you try that tomorrow when hitting into the wind to see if you can stop the ball from ballooning into the wind. Let us know.
    Or just hit the Stinger!

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    I think they should play together on the 20th
    That won't be happening as I am no where near Ottawa and sure won't be driving up there for one round of golf. I might come up this summer for a vacation, I have never been to Ottawa. Renfrew is as close as I have got to the Nations Capital. Played the course at Renfrew, and from what I can remember that is a good course. Went to a wedding reception there, and they charged us full price for beer

Have tinkered with tee height a little. Doesn't change too much. Seems how hard I swing affects the ball flight more. I've only had it for two rounds so still getting used to it.

Thread Information