100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

What do I take out of this?

Had my first round of the year today. I shot a 104.

This is how my round went. I played 13 holes at 11 over par. Then I played the other 5 at 21 over par.

What do I take out of this? Is it safe to say I have it in me to be break 90?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Sounds like most of my rounds for the past three years. I play two thirds or more of the holes like I could consistently break 90, and then play a few like I would be lucky to break 120. Lots of brain farts. Suddenly, this year, first time out, I shot an 85, breaking 90 for the first time.

I found the key was to really think about my shots, and rather than always trying to make the most spectacular shot, or the most aggressive play, I toned the testosterone down a bit and went at each shot trying to make the smartest play in order to best set up my next shot. Lots of 5w-5i-short iron par 5s, aiming at the safest part of the green rather than going at the flag, laying up on par fours when my drive was less than ideal (rather than grabbing the 3 wood and hoping. I certainly didn't have many glorious shots, nothing particularly memorable, but the score at the end was a great reward.

Those 13 holes at 11 over definitely tell me that you have the potential in you to break 90....i would think its just a matter of time until it comes together. But be warned, it goes as quickly as it comes....my second and third rounds of the year were back up over 100.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Don't make to much of your first round of the year, especially if your playing new sticks. Make more out of your golfin' after a few more rounds. It is only May 1. fundonny.

Oh, and on those 5 holes I had to take 8 penalties. When I go, I go big.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I don't think anyone scores that well at this time of the year fundonny. I know my first dozen rounds of the year have been very disappointing and I'm hitting the ball well.
    Just work on staying in control and in play, and when you get into trouble don't aggravate the situation by trying to play a hero shot.

"Richard"
    you just had sugery as well didn't you. Chill baby! It will come to you. I won't evenw ork about scores until you've picked a driver, stick to a set and get a few rounds in with that one set.

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    A 104!!!! Actually...I'd say you did better then you usually do. Maybe the surgery fixed somthing in ya big guy.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I shot 104 on Sunday with 2 holes having a 10. :S I was at 41 on hole 8 and made a 10 on the east 9th at medows for a 51! I think if you control your errant holes you'll score lower and for the 1st time all year I think it's awesome especially considering how many drops you took for driver outta bounds.

"Richard"
    you can't take drops for drivers out of bounds.. you re tee

Your turning into that rules guy Thotho; very scary I meant 3 off the tee or whatever. I hate shooting 5 off teh tee on a par 4 :S

"Richard"
    Just call me gary Hill! ahaha

Shooting 5 off the tee on the par 4 sucks. I always play it safe now cause I have no faith in my driver. I hit my iron or my utility even on par 5s. If I'm really feeling it and no one is behind me I'll tee on up with the driver and hit it has hard as I can just for fun Usually slice it, going to set my driver up in draw move when I get to ottawa, should be fun

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Let me guess, after 13, you had SOME IDEA that you were shooting well, and probably some thought crept in like "If I just play the same through the last 5, I'll shoot 15 over, my personal best."

Welcome to your brain on golf. You certainly have under 90 in you, now you just have to play without thinking about the score...happens to me all the time.

I agree with Golfpeasant 100%. Same happens to me. This is my personal best!! Only 5 holes left gotta score X on them....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That happened to me during my personal best round (79 at Cloverdale - no wind)

On the 9th tee I realized I was even par for 8 holes with one bird and one bogie.
    10 minutes later I was 15' from the pin in 2.
    I was getting excited at the possibility of breaking par for 9 even though I had never been that colse to par.
    I then 4 putted.

haha similar I've thrown away about 5 birdie putts this year. I"m like this is going to be my first birdie and than I miss a 5 footer :S

It's a better story than it would have been if I had made the putt.

"I was one under par for the front nine at Cloverdale.... I could do no wrong... etc etc"

Yawn...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    I agree with Golfpeasant 100%. Same happens to me. This is my personal best!! Only 5 holes left gotta score X on them....
    When I know I'm playing well, I don't add up until the end (not even after the front nine). Takes away a lot of the pressure and makes it easier to play one hole at a time - and at the end of the round I'm usually pleasantly surprised!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    It's a better story than it would have been if I had made the putt.

"I was one under par for the front nine at Cloverdale.... I could do no wrong... etc etc"

Yawn...
    LOL, I did that at Talon on Sunday. 35 for the front nine, which is my lowest nine ever, and then proceed to drive the ball into the water on 10. Hit the ball out of the water, like I did at the Ryder Cup last year, leaving a 90 yard pitch into the green. Sh*** the ball into the water, drop 4, hit into the trap, 5, leave the ball in the trap, 6, out to the fringe on 7, lip out 8 and tap in for a 9...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Had my first round of the year today. I shot a 104.

This is how my round went. I played 13 holes at 11 over par. Then I played the other 5 at 21 over par.

What do I take out of this? Is it safe to say I have it in me to be break 90?
    sounds a LOT like my first round of the year:

97, 16 holes at 15 over.

i'm itching to get this book:

Dave Pelz' Damage Control.
    http://www.pelzgolf.com/ProShop/Book...geControl.aspx

I need to learn to manage my game so I don't get crazy blow up holes...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    LOL, I did that at Talon on Sunday. 35 for the front nine, which is my lowest nine ever, and then proceed to drive the ball into the water on 10. Hit the ball out of the water, like I did at the Ryder Cup last year, leaving a 90 yard pitch into the green. Sh*** the ball into the water, drop 4, hit into the trap, 5, leave the ball in the trap, 6, out to the fringe on 7, lip out 8 and tap in for a 9...
    Hmmm, and by some strange coincidence on Monday we find Talon #10 as Ottawa Golf's Weekly Wallpaper picture.

That Kilbank guy is one cruel and twisted dude!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Voodo don't-cha know.

Er, I had no knowlege of this story!

Wow. Just golfed with Indio today (great guy by the way, we're going to do that again!!!!), and my best 9 holes, I shot 6 over par. The other 9, well, around 23 over par. Had some bad luck, took a 6 on a par 3 when I hit the green side bunker and screwed up royally (yes Indio, I probably hit the road). This game is frustrating as hell. Best part though, was hitting my drive within 40 yards of the green on 18, probably around 290 dead straight. Unfortunatly I was hitting 3 from the tee!!! LOL!!!!!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    WHere did you play..?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Wow. Just golfed with Indio today (great guy by the way, we're going to do that again!!!!), and my best 9 holes, I shot 6 over par. The other 9, well, around 23 over par. Had some bad luck, took a 6 on a par 3 when I hit the green side bunker and screwed up royally (yes Indio, I probably hit the road). This game is frustrating as hell. Best part though, was hitting my drive within 40 yards of the green on 18, probably around 290 dead straight. Unfortunatly I was hitting 3 from the tee!!! LOL!!!!!

It was a helluva fun game Donny.... for the life of me I can't figure why you don't play constantly loe 90's high 80's.... you hit a good ball (except the 3 or 4 times you were hitting 3 off the tee LOL) I also think the beer cart coming so ofen starting at 09:00 in the morning might not have helped either!

The 2 people they paired us up with were good people too! Too bad he was a lawyer! LOL She was a sweetie once she got a few beer into her!

Looking forward to playing again Donny, it was a great day (well except for the sscore)
    Last edited by Indio; 07-31-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I forgot to mention that Indio's best 9 holes ended up being 3 over par. That $*%*^&@!!! Solid player.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I forgot to mention that Indio's best 9 holes ended up being 3 over par. That $*%*^&@!!! Solid player.

LOL i somehow feel like I am being setup to give bunch of strokes next time!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

The chateau cartier.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    WHere did you play..?

Thread Information