CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Should Bonds Be Erased?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 40.91%
  • No

13 59.09%
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Should Bonds Be Removed From The MLB Record Book

The guy won't live another 10 years. Should he have his name erased from the record book?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    The guy won't live another 10 years. Should he have his name erased from the record book?
    If it has been proven that he broke existing rules along the way to breaking the homerun record, YES. If not, we are stuck with his name being in the record book.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I can't see why he should be removed from the record book, unless you can prove that Aaron and Ruth never took anything that was illegal. I know that's not the case because Ruth was drinking during the period of prohibition, so his record should be removed as well because he was breaking the law while setting his record i guess. I think its brutal how Bonds might break the records while possibly on roids, but nobody can prove that Aaron and Ruth weren't 100% clean for their careers, just because the obviously never tested for anything.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I say no. Last time I checked steroids allowed you to train longer so you get stronger. If he did use them they don't improve your hand eye co-ordination. And if anyone recalls, even in the 90s Bonds had some of the best hand eye co-ordination around. Who cares how strong he is, if he can't hit the ball all the stats are irrelevant. I could take steroids to make me stronger, but if I can't hit the golf ball straight, what good would it do me. And why has McGwire dropped off the radar in this debate?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Because he retired and he's not going to break any of the big records I guess. He's out of baseball now, concentrating on golf. Plus Mark was an extremely charismatic guy which deflected a lot of the roid talk. Bonds is just a pure arse, one of the worst human being to play pro sports.

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar
    Personally, I'd like to see MLB encourage him to retire before he catches Hank Aaron on the "bomb list". Maybe he should take up LongDriving?

Enjoy the weekend gang...
    Thanks for the screen-time.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Bonds is just a pure arse, one of the worst human being to play pro sports.
    That I agree with - the record book: no! He might be an arse but he still can play baseball and hit homers with or without steroids...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    MLB never made steroid use illegal until the last couple of years, so even if he did use steroids it's only very recently that they were against the rules. His records should count and MLB and the players union should be ashamed. Besides, baseball has always been rife with amphetamine abuse. Many players in the past 50 years are guilty of using some sort of performance enhancing drug.

And Geoff, steroids don't just make you stronger, they cut recovery time and they help you swing the bat quicker. Players on steroids can wait on a pitch a fraction of a second longer, and then move the bat through the zone quicker. Steroids do all sorts of things that have helped Bonds and MANY other baseball players improve their playing abilities. Why would they take them if this was not the case?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I say no. Last time I checked steroids allowed you to train longer so you get stronger. If he did use them they don't improve your hand eye co-ordination. And if anyone recalls, even in the 90s Bonds had some of the best hand eye co-ordination around. Who cares how strong he is, if he can't hit the ball all the stats are irrelevant. I could take steroids to make me stronger, but if I can't hit the golf ball straight, what good would it do me. And why has McGwire dropped off the radar in this debate?
    Sorry Geoff, gotta disagree here. IMO, the only records that should count are Aaron's and Maris'. Hand/Eye coordination doesn't factor into this debate. It takes a lot of natural talent and practice to develop the timing required to hit a round ball with a round bat. If you have the balance and timing to hit the ball sweet the majority of the time, you can be a guy half Bonds size and still hit the ball out of the park. Where the steroids factor in is in the misses. The greater strength and higher bat speed enhanced by steriods, combined with decent timing, will turn a long fly-out into a home run. It improves the odds, and that is what is wrong about it. McGuire retired because he knew the sh** was going to hit the fan. Bonds is way too self-centred to take that option. He believed that he could get away with it.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I should have added the natural talent portion to my reply. My hand eye co-ordination was meant to include the talent part as well. And I understand the turning the pop flys into homeruns but come on. How many of Bonds' HRs were actually clearing the fences by inches. Most of this guys blasts were towering shots into the Bay in SF. Very rarely did you see Bonds take off from home plate because he wasn't sure if the ball was gone. He'd usually start off in his strut because he knew the ball was long gone. Maybe a by product of the roids, maybe not, but if you believe your "talent of hitting the ball sweet the majority of the time" then you have to consider and accept the possibilities of him breaking the record. And I know Bonds' reputation and attitude doesn't do him any favours, which no doubt hurts him in the public perception of him. Wonder what the reaction would be if he was a little more charismatic like a McGwire or someone like that.

I respect everyone's opinion, and this is mine. Maybe I'm just too much in awe of anyone being able to step into a batter's box and hit a ball coming at you in excess of 90 MPH from 60 something feet away. Regardless of what you are taking, it is still one of the most impressive talents in sports in my eyes.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Two things are very ironic in the Bonds/home run situation...#1, Bonds has never been proven to have done anything wrong. Now I KNOW the preponderance of evidence is definitely against him, but wow, shouldn't he be innocent until proven guilty (and don't get me started about the Duke lacrosse players!)? One of my pet peeves, I'm sorry. I guess it is INCOMPREHENSIBLE that someone can work hard and get ripped without steroids. There are plenty of other supplements to help someone with their body.
    #2, I hate it that so many people just absolutely HATE Bonds without even knowing him. He gets judged by everyone solely by how he deals with the media...well to be honest, if I got asked the same inane questions every day, then I'd get a little fried too. I actually enjoy when athletes or movie stars refuse to answer questions and the reporters get "holier than thou" and act as though they have this divine right to know everything the guy is thinking. Getting back to baseball, everyone LOVED McGwire when he was breaking records and he turned out to be a punk. Remember the Congressional hearings, what an idiot! I was in Vegas last year, and we were asking our blackjack dealer what celebrities she had dealt for, who were punks, and who were really nice, etc. She mentioned McGwire was a real punk, Michael Jordan was crude and offensive (no surprise, but doesn't mean he's a terrible person)...she said the nicest people she ever dealt for were Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
    Oops never answered the question...until Bonds tests positive, no records should be erased.

I'm with you sensfan63. I actually like Bonds. Always have. But agree that because of the way he handles the media he is getting grilled. Interesting comments about McGwire and Jordan though. Not really surprised by the Douglas/ Zeta-Jones. They seem genuine and friendly in TV interviews at least.

Andru
    There's the problem. Steroids were not illegal at the time. You're enforcing a rule retroactively. Which is BS. Also Bonds has never tested positive for anything. It's mostly hearsay and third party testimony. I hope Bonds breaks Ruth's record. The truth is the ones making the most noise are NY Baseball writers. They're falling over themselves at the thought Barry Bonds will push the Babe another notch down the list.

This has to do with politics. Not the good of Baseball.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    INHO.....

Innocent until proven quilty and even then, his records stand cause it would be wrong to apply the new rules retroactively. If he is on roids, suspend for life, if he is not, hate the man if you want but give him his due respect
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    There's the problem. Steroids were not illegal at the time. You're enforcing a rule retroactively. Which is BS. Also Bonds has never tested positive for anything. It's mostly hearsay and third party testimony. I hope Bonds breaks Ruth's record. The truth is the ones making the most noise are NY Baseball writers. They're falling over themselves at the thought Barry Bonds will push the Babe another notch down the list.

Totally agree! It's amazing that people still have this perverted reverence towards Babe Ruth, even though he last played, what, 70 years ago? How many people actually REMEMBER watching Babe Ruth hit the ball? Makes me think a lot of it has to do with race...I mean, how else to explain why writers in NY defend Ruth vehemently even though they weren't alive to see him play? I just don't get it. I understand the reluctance (at the time) to embrace Roger Maris getting the single-season home run record - he wasn't Mickey Mantle or Joe D...but the whole Bonds thing, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Also, from what I've read, Ruth was pretty much a screwup...drunk all the time, hired prostitites, etc. Made Bill Clinton look like the poster child for fidelity!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    Totally agree! It's amazing that people still have this perverted reverence towards Babe Ruth, even though he last played, what, 70 years ago? How many people actually REMEMBER watching Babe Ruth hit the ball? Makes me think a lot of it has to do with race...I mean, how else to explain why writers in NY defend Ruth vehemently even though they weren't alive to see him play? I just don't get it. I understand the reluctance (at the time) to embrace Roger Maris getting the single-season home run record - he wasn't Mickey Mantle or Joe D...but the whole Bonds thing, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Also, from what I've read, Ruth was pretty much a screwup...drunk all the time, hired prostitites, etc. Made Bill Clinton look like the poster child for fidelity!
    HA LOL. That's awesome I thought I was the only one.

HA LOL. That's awesome I thought I was the only one.
    see, we just have to get outside hockey and golf, and then we agree on something.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    see, we just have to get outside hockey and golf, and then we agree on something.
    True. Go Flames!

Regardless, I don't think anyone will look back at Bonds' life and smile. There's no question he took roids, just look at the melon on him. It's sad because he would have been a sure hall of famer without the juice.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

It's not Ruth's record by the way, it's Aaron's, who is also black, seeing as someone brought up the race thing...

I don't care what colour you are, idiocy, greed, and dishonesty are colourless.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    NOpe, he shouldn't. When he was on roids it wasn't banned by the league. So... no.

"Richard"
    Sensfan, to tell you the truth I kind of enjoy how he is getting booed everywhere. Not because I hate him or don't like him... I don't know him. I mean, garry shefield is a hateable guy but bonds isn't. I just enjoy watching the drama unfold. If he doesn't break the record this year he might retire because he can't go through being booed for another year. I mean, fans throwing needles onto the field... its awesome!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    he may have been able to hit homers without steroids, but not nearly at the same pace as he has been since that mysterious winter when his head became the size of a beach ball. The man owes much of his fame and success to performance enhancing drugs - I cannot see how anyone can think his recors should stand. Babe Ruth drank during the prohibition - that's illegal, not performance enhancing. We're not talking about taking Bonds out because he did something illegal (a pro athlete? break the law? well I never..) we're talking about taking him out because he violated the principles of fair play that are necessary for sport to be anything but a mockery.

Heck, Ruth drinking made his stats even more impressive. How well would you hit if you saw two baseballs coming at you at 90mph each time? I have a hard time golfing hung over!

Thread Information