CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFL Draft

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

NFL Draft

I'm so impressed with Houston for not taking Bush. If anything has been proven in the past several years is that you can get a great running deep in the draft. They have great talent on offense already, they just need to improve that O-Line and they'll be a playoff team.

I think Tennessee is making a mistake with Vince Young. As much as I love the Falcons and I loved the Vick pick in the past, I'd be happier if the Falcons promoted Matt Schaub to number 1. The Titans won't get anywhere with Young.

New Orleans picking Bush, good thing for them since Deuce McAllister has regressed. If anything this will push Deuce. Bush getting 30 carries a game will cut his NFL life short. He's a change of pace type guy, put him in the slot and be creative with him.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think teams get too caught up in projecting, and don't give enough credence to production. You need both the physical attributes and the history of production. Universally, Hawk was considered the safest pick because of his rock solid athletic profile and playing resume. Mario Williams never produced at a high level in college, he's a projection. Sure he has a tantalizing athletic profile, but he never produced at his potential. And if o-line is such a big need, then why didn't they take Ferguson? I think Houston made a huge mistake.

And Young is no Vick. Vick never hit 60% accuracy in college, he was always looking to run first, and he's 5'10". Young has a strong and accurate arm (65%), and is 6'5". Running is a secondary part of his game.

Leinart at number 10 is a monumental steal. The Bills in particular are going to be kicking themselves. Whitner is a good player, but they could have easily traded down 6 spots and got him.

"Richard"
    If they weren't going to take the widely accepted #1 pick over all why didn't they trade down?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    And Young is no Vick. Vick never hit 60% accuracy in college, he was always looking to run first, and he's 5'10". Young has a strong and accurate arm (65%), and is 6'5". Running is a secondary part of his game.
    I disagree here. Young was always a rusher first. He's going to have a lot more trouble playing against the defences in the NFL. It also didn't hurt his passing stats to be playing with such a good receiving corps

Not to mention he was exclusively out of the shotgun. And he's about as smart as Aaron Brooks. Not good.

"Richard"
    good morning kids, why didnt they trade down? If they took this guy second or third overall couldn't they have paid him less? and I mean, if you are trading the first pick you could probably get a 3rd overall and a 4th round pick, or maybe even a 3rd rounder. Just doesn't seem to make sense what they did.

They could have worked something out for sure.

I'm very impressed with Denver and New England.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I heard Young scored something like 6/50 on the aptitude test, retook it, and scored a whopping 13/50. Is this true, or is this just my buddy's usual drunken bs

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I heard the same about the original test. Never heard anything about him taking the test again. But like putts, tests are always easier the second time around.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    Here is a copy of the test if anyone is interested...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Yes its true, 6 first time, 12 second time which means he is as dumb as a grade 4 but in his defence... Kelly, Bradshaw, and Marino all got under 20 aswell.

He's got plenty of football smarts. The knocks on him are that he played out of the shotgun exclusively, his funky throwing mechanics, and that he operated in a one read passing offence where only had to look at one side of the defence. He only looked to run first if there was a play calling for it. The pluses for him are that he's huge, he's very fast, he has a very quick release, he throws a great long ball, he's accurate, his leadership abilities and his intangible football athleticism. I just can't see how he won't star in the NFL. He is sooooooo much better than Michael Vick. He's probably closer to Daunte Culpepper in terms of a comparable player, but much further along than when Daunte was drafted.

Vince will have more INTs then TDs during his NFL career (passing TDs only). I'm sure he'll hold out too.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Vince will have more INTs then TDs during his NFL career (passing TDs only). I'm sure he'll hold out too.
    I have never been the biggest Vince Young fan, especially since he dismantled MY TEAM (the Michigan Wolverines) in the 2005 bowl game, then shredded USC in this years national championship game. But I'm a reasonable person, and when I hear that he led the country in passing efficiency rating, then I cannot see how he won't be a star. It may take a few years to happen (see Eli Manning not doing much so far) but he should do very well.

BTW, I can't wait for Leinart to prove all the idiots who passed on him wrong.

Sensfan, there are more Ryan Leafs out there then there are Peyton Mannings. I wasn't terribly impressed by this year's QB class at all. I think we'll see down the road that there will be one or two hidden gems that were drafted in the later rounds. I don't think Jay, Matt or Vince will develop into HOF QBs.

What I love about Houston's pick is that they ALREADY signed the guy, no hold out. He'll be in mini-camp, training camp, and be ready to start the season in great shape and he'll know the playbook! Very wise!

I'm also a Wolverines fan and that Rose Bowl, plus this year's, make it hard for me to believe Vince Young won't be a great qb. I know there are plenty of Klinglers and Leafs out there, but who wouldn't WANT to see Young suceed? How exciting would he be if he performs in the pros like he did in college?

As for picking Williams because he was easier to sign? The Houston franchise is a cashbox, they could've signed Bush if they wanted to, instead they overpaid for a project. It's definitely not wise, it's picking someone for reasons other than football ones.

Thread Information