100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=thotho

JB holmes 130mph and can carry it 290 with a 3w...[/QUOTE]

Compare apples with apples. The pros play on very well groomed courses. It is not unusual to see the ball roll an extra 30-40 yards. Moreover these guys hit very close to the sweet spot time and time again.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    Thats why I said its no where close to my average, on a almost perfect hit I can carry 290-300 with my swing speed... but its a 1/20 shot.

PS that yardage I posted for JB is his carry when he steps into it. So it has nothing to do with roll. I've seen him to it on TV and the anoucers went nuts! Is this number really that hard to beleive. I'm not making any statments about my consitancy, the point of the thread is to say I'm not consistant... AT ALL If baba watson has an average driver distance of 322, how many of those do you think he had to swing not to hard on? Probably alot to leave himself a decent yardage isntead of a 1/2 swing with a lob. He he really wanted to, the guy could put it out there at 360y+. I'm not claiming to be a bomber or anything, saying that once in a while I really catch one it and goes. But those days are gone, I'm going to swing slower and hit straight. I think a 295+ average is alot more unrealistic than a 290-300 yard carry once in a while.

3 Iron whatsup is on a distinguished road
    02-16-2006, 05:57 PM #1
    thotho
    Uber Poster

Did i really put 70 yards onto my drive?

Last year I was hitting it about 220-230 on the sim on a straight hit and that is about what I was getting outside as well so I just assumed it was accurate. Since then I haven't really been hitting drivers on the sim... and when I did it was never at full speed, more just to see if I can get my swing steeper and hit it in the sweet spot but was still slicing. So, before I started working out but after I had taken lessons, my friend and I went to GT we decided to have a driving contest. I was very happy after hitting them around 250-260. I was coming more at the ball from inside, and a steeper swing path, I used to cast the club a lot. So based on that I gained about 30 yards from a steeper path, less of an outside in path.... but the swing only went up a a few mph. Likely? not likely?

I think the doubting comes from a previous post where it is stated that you hit 220-230 on the sim and that is what you said you hit outside as well. I know you said you made numerous improvements but to go from hitting 230 to carrying 1/20 over 295 is a tough accomplishment.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm bored stiff with this thread at this point . What was the original topic again?

"Richard"
    Well if I'm wrong (very possible) then so is DONs machine at artisan (it only tells carry). Anyway, as reid said... we are getting off topic.

I'm thinking of putting the driver back in, teeing it up higher to promote a fade and trying not to swing more than 100mph, if that keeps it straight then I will be more than happy. might even cut it down from 44inch to 43.5 or 43.75 if that makes a difference.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Geoff, my driving is like donny... not straight. But on the 1/20 that is hit hard and straight, yes 290 carry. Wie swings at 106mph and I think her carry is 275 or something. When I say I swing as hard as I can I honestly mean as hard as I can to get it to 114mph (clocked at DONs 3 times over 75 drivers). Obviously that is by no means an average or anything since I lose a ton of yardage by shanking it, slicing it, pulling it, pushing it... I'll give you a little demo on wednsday if you like if GT is done with my driver.

JB holmes 130mph and can carry it 290 with a 3w...
    Dude how do you spot a ball landing 290 yards away? The pros don't spot it. It's measured by shotlink.

"Richard"
    Luanch monitor at Artisan golf, before I got tested People were telling me the thing is damn accurate. Even DON said it was very accurate. Yes I can't see my ball land, my eye sight is horrible

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I say Andru stands 290 away, and you try and hit him!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OK guys--have been away from this thread for 2 days and have just come back to it. I think I see the problem-----its called a "simulator"

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    OK guys--have been away from this thread for 2 days and have just come back to it. I think I see the problem-----its called a "simulator"
    I agree. How many PRO'S carry it 290 yards in the air? I bet not too many. The top 13 in driving distance vary from 300 to 318 yards. That's counting the roll, and they usually play fairways that are cut as short as most of the greens we play on.
    There is only one way to test how far you carry the ball in the air with a driver. Go to the range, have the exact yardages marked off (no range finders, EXACT YARDAGES) Then have someone out on that range to see where the ball LANDS. Then you will know how far you carry the ball in the air.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Logically if the 7 iron is hit 160 here are the distances to be expected with other clubs since there is 4 degree loft increment between each club and each club being 1/2 either shorter or longer. I just can't imagine a 70 yard difference between a 3 wood and a driver.

Driver=230
    3 wood=220
    5 wood=210

3 iron=200
    4 iron=190
    5 iron=180
    6 iron=170
    7 iron =160
    8 iron=150
    9 iron=140
    Pitching wedge=130
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I might... Just can't drop it. I did hit 1 amazing 295 yrd drive; I also hit a bunch of 260. I also was 3 off the tee 2X and 5 off teh tee once. So... lol

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Luanch monitor at Artisan golf, before I got tested People were telling me the thing is damn accurate. Even DON said it was very accurate. Yes I can't see my ball land, my eye sight is horrible
    Pre Programed vs. Pacing of the yardage

Wich one would you choose ?

It's a machine !!! Even the radars the cops use have a + or - tolerance. I'll bet that the price of those babies are a lot more than a commercial grade launch monitor.

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    I might... Just can't drop it. I did hit 1 amazing 295 yrd drive; I also hit a bunch of 260. I also was 3 off the tee 2X and 5 off teh tee once. So... lol
    That's nothing. I was 7 off the tee once last year. Shot a 21 on a par4.

That was with 3wd, BTW. I finally gave up & hit the fw with my driver.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    How far did the fwy go!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    I see what you guys are saying but again, when I hit my 6 iron, my 8 iron and my pitch on DONs sim, it was the same as what I would see on the course. It was just a few % off on what I saw on my friends vector.

Golfbum, golf pros hit the ball 300 because they need to hit it that far, they hit it 320 because they need to hit it that far. I'm sure there are alteast 10 guys on tour that could hit the ball 360+ if they needed to but why on earth would you ever need to hit a driver that far? These are the guys averages and they are nowhere close to hitting the ball as far as they can.

I'm looking for michelle wies carry, her swing speed is 104mph

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    I say Andru stands 290 away, and you try and hit him!
    Well at least I won't have to wear any protective gear.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I don't get how she can hit the ball so far with this swing speed, I would have thought it would be a little higher.

"Richard"
    I think she carries 274 with a 106mph, that was in the magazine my friend had. But like I said before, she does it consistantly, hits the sweet spot all the time and has very little side spin on the ball. Even when she was 14 she was hitting 300+ yard drivers. Pleople look at a players average and think that is how far they CAN hit it. Does everyone (other than me) hit a driver as hard as they can? I doubt it, you would spray it everyhwere (like me). Do you take a little off of it if you need to go 230yard because there is a bunker ahead or the fairway gets really narrow beyond that? The average is just that. These guys are tour professionals, if they want to swing the club at 135mph I'm sure many of them can but the course doesnt' require it. Wie, doesn't swing that hard but her swing is almost perfect. She can bomb it off the tee.

If and when you play a round with me "Richard" you'll see I swing the driver as hard as I can everytime. That's just what works best for me timing wise. And if you look at some pros, they are going at the ball really hard. Instead of taking anything off a driver to avoid a bunker, they just choose less club.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    "Richard"
    ROFLMAO&PMP
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    A long hitter is someone who consistently hits the fairway more than 50% at least, and that's being generous.
    bottom 5 drivers on the pga tour:

188 183 Bubba Watson 48.3%
    189 181 Jimmy Walker 47.0%
    190 182 David Duval 45.6%
    191 183 Hank Kuehne 44.8%
    192 185 Craig Perks 40.8%

I see what you guys are saying but again, when I hit my 6 iron, my 8 iron and my pitch on DONs sim, it was the same as what I would see on the course. It was just a few % off on what I saw on my friends vector.

Golfbum, golf pros hit the ball 300 because they need to hit it that far, they hit it 320 because they need to hit it that far. I'm sure there are alteast 10 guys on tour that could hit the ball 360+ if they needed to but why on earth would you ever need to hit a driver that far? These are the guys averages and they are nowhere close to hitting the ball as far as they can.

You better go find a course that has a PAR 4 that is 320 Yards and stand there and see how many times you can hit the green (Your "290 CARRY" plus roll)
    I would be willing to bet you would not hit that green once out of 20 drives.

Pros need to hit it 360. If they are playing Par 5's measuring 550+ why would they not want to hit it 360? That leaves them 190 to the green. 190 is a lot better than 230.

Let me tell you something. I play with a guy at my home course who is long. This guy carries a +2.5 index. Which in case you do not know how that works, means he averages 2.5 strokes BELOW the rating of the course. I have seen him drive the ball and his average drives would be around 310 with roll. If he steps on it he can get it out there 330. He hits 7 irons 165-170 yards, I've watched him on the range.

Actual yardages, not ones that come off a monitor.

We have all hit big drives, hell I have driven a 305 yard par 4 at my course with a 3 wood. With firm fairway in front and some wind behind me. I have hit a 3 iron 280 yards, with firm fairways and a 20 MPH tailwind.

But to carry it 290 on a constant basis is nearly impossible, no matter what your swing speed. I know a guy who swings his driver at around 110 and he does not carry it 290.

Plus 290 in the trees won't beat 250 in the fairway, and that is a fact.

With limited roll on the fairways at my course right now, there is no one hitting it 290, and trust me there are some guys who can flat out bomb it at my club.

I am not saying "DON's MONITOR" is wrong, but I don't trust anything like that for the simple fact someone can set it up to read higher. Salesmanship works really well when it comes to selling golf clubs. I talked to a guy who was at GT and hitting 7 irons 190 on the monitor. Meanwhile in actual fact he hits it 150 at the course. So tell me who was fooling who into thinking they were a BIG HITTER? The salesman told him "Man you are hitting that 7 iron deep, you should buy that set of irons"

"Richard"
    Sorry to dispapoint you GolfBUM but I hit a 320 green yesterday with a driver. There was no one infront of us or behind us as it was getting dark and I hit it on my 4th shot. Sliced it badly the first 3 times and nailed it the second time. DON VALLEY 18th hole.

"Richard"
    Sorry it was the 9th hole, about a 20 feet elevated green. I hit the green right in the middle and the ball rolled to the back

Sorry to dispapoint you GolfBUM but I hit a 320 green yesterday with a driver. There was no one infront of us or behind us as it was getting dark and I hit it on my 4th shot. Sliced it badly the first 3 times and nailed it the second time. DON VALLEY 18th hole.
    Sliced it badly 3X then nailed it on the 2nd try? Makes no sense, plus you were hitting the 9th shot off the tee on the 4th try. Nice score on a par 4. Pretty hard to shoot in the 70's doing that all day.

Andru
    Sorry it was the 9th hole, about a 20 feet elevated green. I hit the green right in the middle and the ball rolled to the back
    ha checked your story eh? 18 was a no go. I've seen 9 at the valley. I guess maybe........

OK guys, I think this thing has gone far enough.

Thread Information