CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

The Next Major ... My Prediction

Currently we have a set # of Majors; I seriously think that either Jack or Tiger will start something like Augusta; not so much Jack but when Tiger finally quits he'll have to start his own Major.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Currently we have a set # of Majors; I seriously think that either Jack or Tiger will start something like Augusta; not so much Jack but when Tiger finally quits he'll have to start his own Major.
    I have a suspicion that the Players Championship might become a major in the not too distant future. Can I back that up with fact? Nope, but it is already unofficially called the 5th major.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Nope, you guys aren't realizing that golf is too traditional. They'll never add or change the majors. The WGC was meant to kinda compete with the majors, but as far as public interest/perception, not even close. It'll always be those four, and the Players as the richest with the best field.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I can't see it happening, unless they drop one of the existing majors and replace it with something else. 4 majors in one calendar year is enough especially with the Ryder and President's Cups alternating every year too. If you have too many majors, suddenly they're not so "major" anymore...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Yeah but Bobby Jones started Augusta... Your telling me Tiger couldn't start one when he retires...

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    The most tiger can do is have a Memorial type tournament. Just like Arnie in Bay Hill. They aren't majors, but they are nice tributes.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

"Richard"
    the TPC always has the best turnout. I think this year it at 97 of the top 100 players. That is amazing!

How would that work? lets say TPC becomes a major? what happens to the record book? now there are 5 majors a year so someone has a great chance to catch jack or tiger (whoever has more when its all done). How did they compare jones and jack?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I agree with those that say there will be no 5TH Major. The Players Championship is a wanna be Major.

Jack's tournament has invites, Arnie's has invites. As for Tiger, he basically has his own tournament now with the Target Challenge. I doubt just because he is Tiger that the golf world would recognize his tournament as a Major.

I for one like it just the way it is now.

My favourite Major is The Open Championship. Why? Because it is played on a lot of links courses and it forces players to hit many different shots. It's just not hit it hard and then hit it high onto the greens. Bump & runs, etc come into play. More shotmaking involved. Sure the courses are not fully irragated like US courses are. But that is not the way golf was back when the game originated. To me that makes it more exciting.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information