100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar

Nova Scotia Must-Play Courses -- Suggestions?

I'm going to be spending the better part of 2 weeks in NS this summer, mostly around Halifax with friends, but will also travel to the Cabot Trail area (in this area where's the most economical but nice place to stay with wife and three kids who don't golf?).

So, where are the must-play courses, tell my why you think so. Most important things to me: 1) well maintained fairways and greens, 2) interesting but fair layout, 3) slope over 125.

Thanks!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Highlands Links for sure

Fox Harb'r if you can afford it

The rest of the Fabulous Foursome in Cape Breton if you have time - Bell Bay, La Portage and Dundee

Chester for the scenery

White Point if you want to play a Donald Ross course he designed without actually seeing the land

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Glen Arbour is one of the...if not the nicest course in Halifax. I had the pleasure of playing there last summer just before they held the LPGA tournament. Its a very scenic and challenging course.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    powerlefty has named them all, just take your pick from what he suggested. If you can only play two, my suggestion would be Highland Links and Bell Bay. I am originally a Cape Bretoner, so may be biased. Don't think you will be disappointed though.

Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar
    Thanks for the quick response, guys. I will definitely write these down and check them out!

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road
    I played Highlands and Bell Bay two years ago and loved every minute of it. The last few holes at Bell Bay are just fantastic. And Highlands is just all around fantastic, but not a level lie on the hole course, except for the tee boxes.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Northumberland Links near Pugwash is (or at least was) a hidden gem.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    Northumberland Links near Pugwash is (or at least was) a hidden gem.
    This STILL is a wonderful course, unbelievebaly fast greens and the crazy break toward the water! This is a very reasonably priced course, I played it last summer. I was lucky enough to be paired with a founding member who told me about the history of the club and of course told me all the ins and outs of the holes. I ended up with a respectable score and absolutetly loved the course. The 4th hole I believe, its a par 3 along the water, very intimidating but beautiful. Signature hole
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    This STILL is a wonderful course, unbelievebaly fast greens and the crazy break toward the water! This is a very reasonably priced course, I played it last summer. I was lucky enough to be paired with a founding member who told me about the history of the club and of course told me all the ins and outs of the holes. I ended up with a respectable score and absolutetly loved the course. The 4th hole I believe, its a par 3 along the water, very intimidating but beautiful. Signature hole
    I last played it years ago before the holes were put in between the road and the water, and back then it was in great shape. My grandfathers old farmstead is about 15 minutes away - be great to set up camp there for a month and play that course everyday.

Typical NS govt - they had bought it and were going to build a resort hotel on it, but they floundered and did nothing. I believe the members now own it again.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    .. Typical NS govt - they had bought it and were going to build a resort hotel on it, but they floundered and did nothing. I believe the members now own it again.
    My recollection is a bit different. Years ago, the province purchased from the members what was then a nine hole course. The understanding was that the province would build an 18 hole course. They did so and incorporated many of the old holes into the present design. The province also agreed to allow memberships to continue at a reasonable rate. This too they have done, as far as I am aware. Lastly, there was an agreement that should the province ever wish to sell the course, the members would be able to repurchase the course for a nominal figure. Whether that ever happened, I do not know. What I do know, though, is that the province put together one heck of a course that is highly regarded by those fortunate enough to play it.

Gap Wedge Falcon is on a distinguished road
    I would suggest while travelling around the Cabot Trail and golf the Fabulous Four. Drive the loop to Cheticamp and play Le Portage, a hidden gem and reasonable fees. B&B's available then around the north end of the Cabot Trail to Ingonish Beach and play the Cape Breton Highlands, overnight or drive to Baddeck, a tourist mecca and play Bell Bay. The most picturesque course is Dundee GC which is on the southwest side of the island. Once in Cape Breton check into the Tourist Bureau in Port Hastings and get a detailed map. They will book accomodations if required. Enjoy. My group do this trip regularly and enjoy the venture. Regards.

Falcon

Thread Information