CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Shooting your age...

A family member of mine in the UK who is 40 and a scratch golfer told me his goal is to shoot his age one day. I told him, thats impossible! He pointed out that sneed has done it, palmer did it and jack could probably do it in a few years. If the only people he can come up with are 3 of the best golfers ever...

Question is, would you consider it shooting your age if you did it say from the whites? I couldn't imagine anyone who isn't/wasn't a pro being able to do this from the tips...

I have more putts than my age one the front 9 sometimes.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Just remember, the older you get, the easier it gets.

"Richard"
    I am just amazing that anyone has done this. Guys in their prime sometimes don't break par! I'm not sure how old the older player is to shoot 59 but he has to be around 35-40 so the lowest score in golf isn't low enough. Yes as you get older it becomes easier but as you get older you get worse. I would say the youngest age it could probably even be done is around 68 or 69. When these guys are doing this, are they doing it from the tips? what tees are these guys playing. I think shooting your age is probably the hardest thing to do in golf. Harder than a hole in one for sure!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    A buddy of mine is 70 and shot his age last year.. He hopes to do it again before he turns 71 in June.. I will bet he will continue to shoot it for sometime to come.. Its pretty awsome !!!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Dude, google is your friend.

http://www.pgatour.com/story/8870123

These guys play courses that would make most of us cringe.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Played with one of our members in Florida this winter that shot a 74 and he's either 74 or 75. I'm sure another one of our members will do it in a few years.

"Richard"
    I'm so amazing by this. Before yesterday I had thought it was not possible (from the tips). I'd assumed a few locals do it once in a while here and there but rarely from the back tees. To do it from the pro tees to me is just mind boggling! Makes you really see how good these guys actually are that even at that age they are able to go low. I'd be lucky to ever break par on a course period from the whites. Let a lone do it in my 70s! amazing

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    I shoot my age every time out. But I don't stop there ...

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    My father is 78 and shot his age this winter. He also did it last. One of the guys he golfs with is 89 and shot an 85.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Give BC Mist a few years and he will do it..
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

"Richard"
    really? he is that good? thats nuts! BC what is your lowest score to date and how old are you? When you get older to you plan to play from the shorter tees? Or will you continue to play from the tees you play right now?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    really? he is that good? thats nuts! BC what is your lowest score to date and how old are you? When you get older to you plan to play from the shorter tees? Or will you continue to play from the tees you play right now?
    The expression, "I'm not as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was," may also apply to golf. I agree with you that shooting one's age is probably the hardest thing to do in golf considering that relatively few golfers ever break 80. I played with my dad when he first shot his age at 75 and was with him as well the last time he did it at 84, before he passed away.

Thinking that shooting one's age need be done "from the tips," are words that I hope will haunt you one day. Add 30 or 40 years of golf to your present age and you will see the naievte of your words. At that time you will be grateful just to be able to play from any tees and to remember where you put your car keys, let alone shoot your age.

FWIW, I have scored two 8 under rounds, one at the Carleton Golf & Yacht Club (63) using only irons, and a couple of years ago I was 8 under at Greensmere,(64) where I play from the black tees. I am 60 and last summer I scored a 30 on the front 9 at Greensmere(black). That's half my age for nine. Does that count as shooting your age? I like playing from tee markers that allow me to play every club in the bag during a round so whether I play from our golds (6800 yards) or blacks (6400) this is accomplished. The other important truth is that while ball striking is important, you know that your best games occur when you are putting lights out, so distance is not as huge a factor as you may currently think.

While I have been fortunate to have scored 63, 64, 66 and up, I have never scored a 65. That's the number I want when I am 65. Another goal is to shoot my age at 85, beating my dad's record at 84. However, I am in no hurray to do that. The neatest thing would be to be healthy enough just to tee it up. Want to join me on September 5, 2030?

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Count me in for some history..
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

"Richard"
    I just thought it was something like when a hole in one doesn't count unless its on a course that is over 6000 yards total. maybe some unoffical rule Sure, I'll meet you for a round. if i'm still able to play then

Any hole in ones for you? how many total?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    BC, do you ever wonder if you could have made it on a tour? What about the Senior tour now?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    BC, do you ever wonder if you could have made it on a tour? What about the Senior tour now?
    Nope. Never. Not good enough, by a long shot. But it is a pleasant thought.

I recognize my limitations and feel that whatever achievements I have made represent the upper limit of my talent level. At age 60 I have won a couple of dozen+ club championships, in 5 different decades, and 35 to 40 other local invitationals or field days and the like, but absolutely nothing of any significance. To have qualified for the Tunis, Kent and Amateur at ages 57, 58 and 59 is a major accomplishment, as was competing in the Canadian Amateur, way back, and more recently a couple of Canadian Senior Championships. That's as good as it gets for me.

While playing well and winning a few things is satisfying, nothing is as enjoyable as just being able to play. We all share that feeling. The excitment of that first tee shot of a casual round or a Canadian championship are both equally thrilling. But perhaps the most important part of the game is the friendships one makes. I still play every week or two, with friends I made through golf 35 and 39 years ago, and that is priceless. After turning 55, I started playing in the OVGA Seniors events and that has proven to be more enjoyable than I initially thought. Locally, we have probably two dozen or more senior golfers who are capable of scoring par or better in any given tournament, and the competition for the titles is fierce, but the difference is that if you play well, your fellow competitors are genuinely happy for you. The comaraderie is very different from the regular "A" class events, with the age difference probably having a lot to do with that. And no, thotho, we don't play from the tips, but nor do we play from the "senior" tees.

I also believe that a golfer is only as good as his last game and today I scored 77. The golfing Gods have a unique way of putting us in our places. The good news is that I can and will tee it up again tomorrow (after my 15 km run and workout). Retirement has its advantages.

Did you ever coach the golf team at your school, or take the kids out to the range for a field trips?

3 Iron Green Jacket is on a distinguished road
    I changed clubs this year and was fortunate enough to play my first game with three long time members. One of them was a very accomplished amateur in his day—I was told that he not only shoots his age (84), but routinely beats it (i.e. scores in the 70s). He does play from the white tees which measure 6151 at our course.

Wouldn't you just love to know their secret? I'm 31 and my body parts are aching like crazy. Two surgeries, countless strains... Someone would most likely have to wheel me around at 84!!!

"Richard"
    Donny don't worry about shooting your age, worry about shooting your weight in KG's

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Nope. Never. Not good enough, by a long shot. But it is a pleasant thought.

I recognize my limitations and feel that whatever achievements I have made represent the upper limit of my talent level. At age 60 I have won a couple of dozen+ club championships, in 5 different decades, and 35 to 40 other local invitationals or field days and the like, but absolutely nothing of any significance. To have qualified for the Tunis, Kent and Amateur at ages 57, 58 and 59 is a major accomplishment, as was competing in the Canadian Amateur, way back, and more recently a couple of Canadian Senior Championships. That's as good as it gets for me.

While playing well and winning a few things is satisfying, nothing is as enjoyable as just being able to play. We all share that feeling. The excitment of that first tee shot of a casual round or a Canadian championship are both equally thrilling. But perhaps the most important part of the game is the friendships one makes. I still play every week or two, with friends I made through golf 35 and 39 years ago, and that is priceless. After turning 55, I started playing in the OVGA Seniors events and that has proven to be more enjoyable than I initially thought. Locally, we have probably two dozen or more senior golfers who are capable of scoring par or better in any given tournament, and the competition for the titles is fierce, but the difference is that if you play well, your fellow competitors are genuinely happy for you. The comaraderie is very different from the regular "A" class events, with the age difference probably having a lot to do with that. And no, thotho, we don't play from the tips, but nor do we play from the "senior" tees.

I also believe that a golfer is only as good as his last game and today I scored 77. The golfing Gods have a unique way of putting us in our places. The good news is that I can and will tee it up again tomorrow (after my 15 km run and workout). Retirement has its advantages.
    I ain't sucking up here (well no reason too really, hehe), but you sound like a good guy BC Mist!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

"Richard"
    good guy? he sounds like a retired G.I. Joe or He-man!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Wouldn't you just love to know their secret? I'm 31 and my body parts are aching like crazy. Two surgeries, countless strains... Someone would most likely have to wheel me around at 84!!!
    I’m not worrying about shooting my age some day, I only wish I can live that long and still play golf. I’m 32. 33 years of practice ahead of me to get my score down to 65!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    I ain't sucking up here (well no reason too really, hehe), but you sound like a good guy BC Mist!
    he is

back on topic..my grandfather is 76 i beleive and still shoots his age half the time. I'll never be as good as he once was, but to shoot your age as often as he does is something special!!

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar

Funny! If you ever start a club, I will qualify.

Like you, I seem to always have a problem getting my body to work properly. It seems like it's just one injury after another. I love golf but it is very frustrating.

Currently, I have a bulging disc in my lower back that stops my from golfing and almost everything else. At 42 years old, I can't imagine what state I will be in when I'm 70. For all the young guys out there, TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY! I am paying the price now for my bad habits of the past. Bad posture at the computer. Bad ergonomics etc. If you ingore these things they WILL come back to haunt you later.

SH

Thread Information