CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Who is to blame for slow play?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Management for not spacing out the tee times

39 15.85%
  • The Marshalls for not enforcing pace of play

83 33.74%
  • The actual slow players, whoever they are

176 71.54%
  • 6 hour rounds don't bother me

2 0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    maybe not, I get a little annoyed when courses want you to finish in 4:15. Since you are still waiting at leasy a bit on most shots, all it means is that if you look for one ball you end with marshalls on your ass for a hole and a half. Better that than the alternative I guess. Outaouais is like that, I find it a little precious, but it's not a course that's a long walk.

Lob Wedge PingMCS is on a distinguished road
    Poor starters letting people tee off less than 8 minutes apart!

Was down in Myrtle Beach last year.
    A group of TWENTY ONE people showed up an HOUR late and were all sent to start @ the same time as us.
    TWENTY FIVE people total without a starter in sight!

We end up playing with a fast twosome in front of us, are not being pushed from behind by other golfers and our foursome is told on #13 "You need to pick it up and keep up with those ahead of you".

Blasphemy!

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    Who is to blame for slow play?....In no particular order, here are my probably mis-guided thoughts....

The answer is really everyone! We all have a responsibility to play at a good pace. I personally hate to feel rushed or held up. I'm neither fast nor slow. Just average. *Take responsibility for your own game pace and the issue goes away. (*to a larger or lesser degree depending on the course, conditions, elements, and ability. The statement is not intended as an absolute solution to a problem that may or may not actually exist. Oh and by the way...Red Bull does NOT give you wiiings!)

The media...tv/mags/and yes...internet forums...all discussing the best way to play this or that shot, the correct method for this or that shot. Basically too much info. Johnny Miller, that clown on Morning Break, et al on golf tv, telling everyone that if they dont spend enough time lining up their drive/approach/putt etc, then they have no chance! Its just too much info and too much analysis that transfers onto the course for all of us hackers. Not many folks talked about a slow play issue till the goons on TV started yapping about and perpetuating it! wtf!

7200+ yards with massive greens and 1000 bunkers! Yup, thats right, they had to build it "long and strong" to accomodate your 230yd average drive, your 1.5% GIR and 3.2 putts/hole! So yeah..get your bad self all the way back on them tips and let her rip. wtf!

On course marshalls and starters?....at a local "roll up, pay n play"?...really?....again, wtf!

Dont give me any of the "well if it works well enough for the Pro's" BS to justify why it takes forever to hit your damn shot! Just hit the ball, walk the 125yds, then hit it again!......you guessed it....wtf!

Speed up the game with the oldest trick in the book.... hit it, go find it, hit again, repeat til the ball is in the hole!

For further clarification......go back to top of this post and re-read the first point!...in the spirit in which it is intended.

Hammerhead
    Educating the average golfer(good or bad) about all the little things that can be done to improve the pace of play would go a long way to improve things IMO.
    Where to place your bag when you reach the green, putting aside the fairway chit chats and walking directly to your ball, playing ready golf, playing from the appropriate t box etc..

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    Pretty simple to fix. When its your turn, hit the ball. I will never get slow play. I dont understand how slow players are even having fun.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Jsut get behind a 4some that is playing a little match between them and see your fast round disappear. Slow play is 100% controllable by the course itself and is 100% in its best interest to do so. Give marshalls some training on how to manage slow play ( and not look for balls as they drive around), post course play expectations in your clubhouse and have the starter explain to your group on the first tee. I played such a course near Orlando and it was fantastic. We were explained that the marshall would be by several times during our round to check on how things were going and that we would be asked to keep up or pick up our balls and move to the next tee box if we could not do so. It seemed a bit much but after playing in 3:40 on an extremely busy day I thought it was great. We kept up but were kind of slow on one hole and sure enough the marshall was there to ask what happened and let us know that we were still ok but to try and keep up. It was always friendly but to the point.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I haven't been to cassleview in a while, but last time i was there they had the starter lay out the rules to each group before we got the first tee. I thought it was great!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It is great, they are pretty good there but I have been there when it was not busy and no marshalls to be seen and was stuck behins a couple of really slow players, marshalls have to be out whenever golfers are on the course.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Jsut get behind a 4some that is playing a little match between them and see your fast round disappear. Slow play is 100% controllable by the course itself and is 100% in its best interest to do so. Give marshalls some training on how to manage slow play ( and not look for balls as they drive around), post course play expectations in your clubhouse and have the starter explain to your group on the first tee. I played such a course near Orlando and it was fantastic. We were explained that the marshall would be by several times during our round to check on how things were going and that we would be asked to keep up or pick up our balls and move to the next tee box if we could not do so. It seemed a bit much but after playing in 3:40 on an extremely busy day I thought it was great. We kept up but were kind of slow on one hole and sure enough the marshall was there to ask what happened and let us know that we were still ok but to try and keep up. It was always friendly but to the point.
    foursomes playing matches is not necessarily the problem - we play matches all the time and are usually done in 4 hours.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I agree but my experience has been that generally, when you are behind a 4some playing a match (easy to tell they are by the high fiving etc) it gets pretty slow, every shot counts, they are reading greens like pros etc...
    Lefty Lucas

Lob Wedge mehavenomemo is on a distinguished road mehavenomemo's Avatar
    I am one of those slow players, but that's why I go odd times throughout the day.. Sorry for those I hold up.. But 9 out of 10 times.. I'll let you play through..

I think that is true in many cases. There are so many things, putting carts on the wrong side of the green, and on the green if there is a match among friends you can almost be guaranteed that it is going to take a while
    Lefty Lucas

Putter CarolKenneth is on a distinguished road
    A couple of my biggest problems are when I see a player lining up a putt for 5 minutes, only to blow it way wide, 5 feet past the hole, or when a player decides to mark a 1 foot putt instead of just tapping it in...
    [url=http://www.theseolab.com/]Digital Marketing Experts[/url]

Putter Emma Harvey is on a distinguished road
    Slow players... I find most slow players are slowest around the putting greens.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    "There are so many things, putting carts on the wrong side of the green"

This I found is the most annoying.. leaving the cart on the wrong side or not pushing it all the way closer to next tee instead of leaving them behind then walk back after putting.

Also players taking more practice swings after a bad shot ..like if they know what they did wrong

Sand Wedge DMWARREN is on a distinguished road
    RIGHT ON. Don't you just hate watching someone putt and then watch the next guy walk all around the green and then putt while the other two stand there and talk instead of getting ready

Thread Information