+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jamaica, Mon

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar

Jamaica, Mon

Going to Jamaica in a few weeks and may play some golf. Anybody have any experieces they wish to share? Also, do I bring my clubs (25 handicap) or just rent (wife may get angry carrying the extra baggage)?

Cheers

Moochie

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    What kind of travel bag do you have?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Don't currently have a travel bag per se. My buddy has a hardcover bag that, hopefully, I can borrow if need be. Why do you ask?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Some carriers don't cover damage in soft bags

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    I brought my clubs to Jamaica in a soft bag. I have done it quite few times and never had a problem. I just like to use my own clubs.

I played Half Moon Bay in Montego Bay. The caddies are unreal. Ask for an experianced caddie who might be able to help you with your game. Some of these guys have been working for 20 years and really no thier stuff. expect to pay 40 - 60 US tip to the caddie at the bettor courses. For me it was well worth it. I played a couple of rounds by myself and got some of the best instruction ever.

Oh, and about the wife, she would tan in the morning while I played a round, I would meet her on the beach for lunch, and then I would make us copious amounts of Daqarie's with that fantastic and cheap Appleton's XO!!!! It seemed to work for her.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    My golf bag recently got damaged in my soft travel bag and the air carrier did not cover the damage...but it would have if it was in a hard travel case. Also, check the weight restrictions on baggage...most are 50 lbs and if you go over...they may ding you with an extra fee like $25 US. Unfortunately, this also happened to me.

Take some good photos of the courses.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I have a soft travel bag and never had any problems - I put my clubs in my old stand bag when I travel not my newer one and I also protect my club heads and graphite shaft with bubble wrap. Granted this will not prevent them from getting broken but it does protect dings and scratches.

My buddy also borrowed it one year and never had any problems with it.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I too have travelled previously using my soft cover bag. No problems....however there has been a ton of press and posts this yr on airline changes.

Despite no problems by me or alot of posters..do you want to take a chance on possibly damaging every club in your bag with airlines taking zero responsibility?
    Use a hard cover, or pay the $20us a day to rent theirs. Some bags of ours hold thousands of $$$. Gambler??
    ps love dunns river falls, authentic roadside 'jerk', appletons, and exclusive blue mountain dark roast coffee. GF wouldnt let me play golf
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    None of my clubs were damage but one of the legs on my golf bag was bent. Think I'll bring a cart bag or an old carry bag next time I travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Some carriers don't cover damage in soft bags
    These are taken directly from the carriers website...

AIR CANADA:
    Golf clubs
    One golf bag containing no more than 14 clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes. The bag and clubs must be fully enclosed in a hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If otherwise packaged, the item(s) will only be accepted with a limited release form (to be signed at check-in), releasing Air Canada of liability.

Zoom Airlines (i.e. Go Travel Direct)
    Sporting Equipment
    One item of sporting equipment per passenger will be carried free of charge. This equipment includes, but is not limited to: golf clubs, roller blades, fishing equipment, scuba equipment (providing the tanks are completely empty and the gauge reads zero), bicycles (tires deflated, handlebars turned in line with the frame, and the pedals either removed or turned inward), skateboards, boogie boards, and water skis. There is an additional charge of $100.00 CAD, $80.00 US, 70.00 Euros or 50.00 GBP each way for windsurfers (must be packed in the standard bags and the mast properly secured), kayaks, canoes, and surfboards. All sporting equipment must be properly packaged in protective bags or wrap

Skyservice
    Golf Equipment No Charge In order to keep the contents intact, we ask that the bags be covered. Limited to a regular sized golf bag consisting of:
    - 14 clubs
    - 12 golf balls
    - 1 pair of shoes

Air Transat
    All sporting equipment is accepted with a signed Limited Release Form, releasing Air Transat from any claim in regards to damage. For this reason it is highly recommended that you purchase travel insurance prior to your trip, to cover all such goods. Consult your travel or insurance agent. See What you can bring for size and weight

Northwest Airlines
    Golf Equipment
    Northwest accepts one (1) set of golf equipment (14 clubs, 12 balls and one pair of shoes) in lieu of one (1) piece of luggage included in the free luggage allowance. Golf equipment is accepted as checked luggage only.
    Northwest will not accept golf equipment without a cover. A hard-shell case is recommended. Full normal excess charges apply to passengers with more than one golf bag. Golf bags must adhere to normal weight limits.

So basically check with your carrier before you book or depart...

Air Canada will cover damage ONLY if in a hard case
    Zoom Airlines and Skyservice make no mention of hard cases
    Air Transat will not cover damage whatsoever
    Northwest suggests a hard case but doesn't say it won't cover damage if not in one

Thread Information