+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    "Richard"
    so you understand because of where i get my information its hard for me to take your word for it but you have converted me to a believer... until the end of the playoffs atleast

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by oneputtwonder
    in fact, they will only get past round one if they are lucky. Too much pressure. Time for them to get the golf clubs out.

Habs on the other hand?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Great game by Ottawa. Burke stood on his head for Tampa Bay. Emery looks solid in goal for the Sens. Maybe he has proved everyone wrong.
    Congrats Ottawa
    From a Sharks Fan
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I like emery, but winning round one is not what the sens are looking for. It remains to be seen how far he can take them. I do think he can provide the goaltending they need, but has yet to really be tested.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I like emery, but winning round one is not what the sens are looking for. It remains to be seen how far he can take them. I do think he can provide the goaltending they need, but has yet to really be tested.
    So far he's 9th in GAA and 5th in Save %, which is pretty good. I'm sure Hasek would be higher, but Emery just needs to be better than the other team's goalie. I'm not sure he was last night, but the Sens were better altogether.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I have to admit I was worried, but they're playing like Cup winners. And with Detroit and Dallas about to be eliminated, I think whoever comes out of the East between New Jersey and Ottawa is winning it. I'm worried that I'll be out of town for the finals since I have a Lake Placid golf trip in mid-June.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

"Richard"
    Looks like Montreal is done, with saku out and losing two games in a row and giving home ice back to CAR... who would you rather play? BUF or PHI? I'd rather play BUF, forsberg scares the crap out of me. He is the best player in the world when healthy

I'd rather play Philly, historically we own Philly. And they don't have the goaltending!!!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    I'd rather play Philly, historically we own Philly. And they don't have the goaltending!!!
    Exactly
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I agree with Colby and Donny. I'd rather play Philly. We match up better with them. We can use our speed to beat their big slow D. With Buf our speed is negated. They are just as quick as we are, and have better goaltending right now. But I'm still hoping the Habs can rally and knock off the Canes. At least that way we'd be guaranteed a canadian team in the semi-finals and maybe another canuck trip to the Cup final!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

And one more thing, Chara negates Forsberg.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    And one more thing, Chara negates Forsberg.
    Especially if he can "negate" him with his head down!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I'd definitely take philly over buffalo - as great as our D is, Buffalo's speed would be a big challenge. I still wouldn't count out the Habs though - that series is far from over. If they get some good news and find out that he would be able to return for round 2, I think they will manage to pull it out.

And Colby, don't get me wrong, I think Emery is playing really well, as his stats show, and you're 100 % right, he doesn't need to play great or steal games - he just needs to play solid and not lose them games. I just think its premature to be saying that our goaltending is not a concern. Also, I do think that if they manage to make it as far as the conference finals or cup finals, he will have to steal a game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    but Emery just needs to be better than the other team's goalie.
    Good points jonf. And if the Sens make it to the Conference finals and meet NJ, the above quote from Colby is going to be tough for Emery to achieve. Although I wish him all the best in his efforts to best Mr. Brodeur.

Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar
    Here's another thought: in previous years, a goalie could be the cup-stealer. Can this happen today? Or, in this "new NHL", is offense what will win the cup?

That's why a team with Forsberg and spotty goaltending will still be a formidable opponent. It's also why the Sens beat Tampa - when the Lightning forwards were 'buzzing' they put the puck in the net. We (Sens) just put it in more often than they did. Brodeur might be the best - but give a team like Ottawa the number of powerplays that they are getting and even Brodeur's amazing ability will be unable to keep out all the goals. Just look at all the scores this playoff year and the number of times that teams have lost after taking leads that would have been a 'lock' in the past. More so than in the past when the team with the best defence and best goalie would usually prevail?

Are we in an era where the team with the best speed and best offense is in a more favourable position to win?

"Richard"
    shafer and redden have more points than alfie! Amazing!

Ya, but who is Alfie playing with - nobody, that's who. I think the Sens should drop the injured Chris Kelly and bring Arnason in - at least to give him a shot...if he sucks, take him out again. Put Alfie back on the first line, keep Fisher/Havlat/Schaeffer. Then you have options with the third and fourth lines. Arnason, Smolinski, Vermette would be a formidable third line, and Neil/Eaves/Varada is certainly a solid fourth line. Arnason may turn out to be a flop, but having given up a quality young prospect, they should at least give him a shot to prove himself, expecially when the other option is an injured and unproductive Chris Kelly. Ya, I know, I went on a bit of an off topic rant, but Arnason has far more skill than Kelly, and should get a shot, and Alfie is just being wasted on the third line.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I like watching Vermette with Spez and Heatley. Agree on the Fisher/Hav/Schaef, then go with Alfie/Smolinski/Eaves, Neil/Varada/Kelly. and you can drop kelly for Arnason if he's hurt. I'd also like to see Schubert stay in the line-up...so much depth, so many options.....

Murray has often started Alfie on another line this year and moves him with Spez and Heatley if they are down.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Putz
    Here's another thought: in previous years, a goalie could be the cup-stealer. Can this happen today? Or, in this "new NHL", is offense what will win the cup?
    I would still say to win the cup your goalie needs to be outstanding and steal a couple of games. Goalies that let in weak goals in the playoffs really deflate their team. (LALIME!!)

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Here are my thoughts on playoff hockey, and sport in general:

1. In any playoff round, you must win one game before you may win two, three, or four.
    2. The other teams have good players too. Each of them try hard and want to win. This is a factor in why at the end of the game there is a winner and a loser.
    3. No team "wants it more" than the other.
    4. No team gives 110 percent to your 100 percent effort. It is impossible to give more than 100 percent of your effort.
    5. Score more goals than your opponent.
    6. Allow fewer goals than your opponent.
    7. Finally, a wise man once said, "Stats are for losers". Coulda been Red Auerbach, but it doesn't matter because worrying about attributing the quote accurately directly contradicts the sentiments of the statement. Al Davis put it another way... "Just win baby."
    Last edited by 3Jack; 05-09-2006 at 02:11 PM.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    Here are my thoughts on playoff hockey, and sport in general:

1. You must win game and one playoff round one before you are able to win game two or the second playoff round. Same rule applies to subsequent games and rounds.
    2. The other teams have good players too. Each of them try hard and want to win. This is a factor in why at the end of the game there is a winner and a loser.
    3. No team "wants it more" than the other.
    4. No team gives 110 percent to your 100 percent effort. It is impossible to give more than 100 percent of your effort.
    5. Score more goals than your opponent.
    6. Allow fewer goals than your opponent.
    7. Finally, a wise man once said, "Stats are for losers". Coulda been Red Auerbach, but it doesn't matter because worrying about attributing the quote accurately directly contradicts the sentiments of the statement. Al Davis put it another way... "Just win baby."
    Only one of those points is needed...

#5 Score more goals than your opponent. Just like golf, there's no extra points for making it look pretty (no pictures on the scorecard!). A win is a win.

"The key to an Ottawa vicotry is to score more goals than the Sabres. If they can do that, they have a good chance at winning the game." -probably quote by Bob Cole as the Sens key to victory"

Thread Information