CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm rooting for the Habs in this series, but it's a shame that either team had to lose last night. That was one of the best playoff games I have seen in years. A real punch/counter-punch slugfest.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    you can blame last night's loss for Carolina on goaltending if you wish, but game one was simply domination by montreal from start to finish.
    I have been a Habs fan all of my life, even though I am from Vancouver. However, I am also a realist. Montreal was fortunate to make the playoffs, and their wins down the stretch were almost completely against teams that were either out of the playoffs or struggling, yes including the Sens. This playoff series reminds me of the one a few years ago against Boston, at least I think it was Boston, where Montreal played out of their minds, but didn't go much further.

Even though I would like to see a Canadian team go far, the way that Ottawa is playing, if they don't pick it up, and knowing the depth of Montreal, it probably won't be a team from the East. And both have to go through New Jersey who has really picked up their game, and maybe Buffalo who is tearing things up.

And since you brought up Game 1, let's look at those stats without rose coloured glasses on, or red coloured in the case of Montreal.

Carolina outshoots Montreal 43 to 21. hmmm, no domination there by Montreal. Sounds more like Huet played well. Gerber lets in 6 goals in 21 shots. Last night he let in 3 goals on 13 shots. Considering his regular season save percentage was .906, this is a drastic change. In fact his save percentage, sccording to NHL.com, is dead last among playoff goalies at .735.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    In fact his save percentage, sccording to NHL.com, is dead last among playoff goalies at .735.
    By rights it should be Theodore, if Dallas could only hit the net...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    alright..you've got me there...gerber stunk both games.

I agree 100 percent that ottawa needs to pick it up if they are going to have a shot. I don't think anyone would disagree. But we're only two games in to a potentially 31 game playoff - it's a little soon to be counting them out. Considering how close they came in game 2 despite how poorly they wer playing, it bodes well for them if they can pick up their play, even a bit. They also had a terrible two periods in game 1, and still came away with a win. I know that they will have to pick up their game to go far, but if they do, they will be a scary team to play.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    By rights it should be Theodore, if Dallas could only hit the net...
    LOL
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

alright..you've got me there...gerber stunk both games.

I agree 100 percent that ottawa needs to pick it up if they are going to have a shot. I don't think anyone would disagree. But we're only two games in to a potentially 31 game playoff - it's a little soon to be counting them out. Considering how close they came in game 2 despite how poorly they wer playing, it bodes well for them if they can pick up their play, even a bit. They also had a terrible two periods in game 1, and still came away with a win. I know that they will have to pick up their game to go far, but if they do, they will be a scary team to play.
    I agree. They only really played 20 minutes in the first game and won, and I don't know if they played 20 minutes in the second game, and could have won. They have to want it, and I don't know if it's inexperience, lack of confidence, or distractions like Redden's Mom, Hasek's injury, etc. I lived through Vancouver's run in 1994, and it's amazing. Vancouver was really in a similar position to Ottawa until McLean made an amazing stop against Calgary and then rolled from there on until they lost to the Rangers in Game 7 of the final. They should have won it in overtime in Game 6, but no luck.

Tonight's game will be a huge measuring stick for them.
    Colby

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think Ottawa is still playing the same inconsistent hockey for the last month. They need to go on winning streak and being reasonably healthy there is no reason that they cannot do it. Having Redden back will help. Losing a game or two to TB is OK, they are the defending champs and know how to play in the short season but goign out in the first round would mean a cleaning of the house. I know Murray can drop the f bombs but Muckler signs the contracts, he rarely goes into the dressing rooms and rants but he has done it before and if Ottawa lays an egg, I would hope that he scurries down there and rants or does everything he can to wake them the fu*# up!

I look at the other series and man, those guys are busting their balls and it is not the same caliber of play as Ottawa at all. Is it lack of effort or not knowing what kind of effort is required? I have no clue.

As for the Habs, they are playing very well but their weakness in their own zone has been their downfall in the past, you only need to look at the last week of the season when they blew 2-3rd period leads becuase of poor play in their end. Huet is an excellent postiional goalie but if they rely too much on him they will go down. If Carolina keeps taking penalties the Mtl PP will win the series. I love their PP, it is awesome, excellent and quick passing, too much fancy stuff for Ottawa on the PP
    Last edited by leftylucas; 04-25-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    And since you brought up Game 1, let's look at those stats without rose coloured glasses on, or red coloured in the case of Montreal.

Carolina outshoots Montreal 43 to 21. hmmm, no domination there by Montreal. Sounds more like Huet played well. Gerber lets in 6 goals in 21 shots. Last night he let in 3 goals on 13 shots. Considering his regular season save percentage was .906, this is a drastic change. In fact his save percentage, sccording to NHL.com, is dead last among playoff goalies at .735.
    Shots on goal stats mean nothing. Lots of the shots from the Canes in the first game were from outside lanes. Nothing really menacing. The Habs D were containing the Canes forwards. Even the commentator during the first game said something like “the shot judges are very generous”. The only real threat from the Canes in game one came from the PP’s especially the 5 on 3.

Now yesterday, prove me if I’m wrong, but the three of the first 4 goals from the Canes were lucky:

The first goal was not an intended shot, it was a centering pass, it hit the heal of Huet’s stick and deflected in.
    The second was a rap around that was not going in the net, it hit Huet’s skate while doing his lateral position change and redirected the puck in, if not it would have went through the slot.
    Markov deflected the intended pass to Weight for the third goal.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree that there were lucky goals but the wholegame is about bounces etc, just ask a fellow named Smith (Steve) about a goal he scored on his own goaly (Fuhr) to eliminate his team from the playoffs in the 90s. Carolina was lucky to score some goals but the habs scored an unusual amount of goals for the shots they had becuase the goalie sucked. I am a habs fan and I try to be objective. Carolina in the 3rd on the PP had several shots deflect and just miss the net and Huet never even moved so he never saw the shot, if it was on the net it was in. Luck goes both ways, not just for Les Glorieux
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I agree with Mike here about the Canes lucky goals but Gerber has been just pathethic in the playoffs thus far. I wouldn't be surprise to see Cam Ward start game 3 in Montreal...

Gerber is letting so many goals in he's gonna end up with a sun burn on the back of his neck from the red light being on so often behind him...

Truly great teams know how to play through adversity, and win. The only thing that Ottawa has proven, so far, is that if their lineup isn't "just so", things go downhill fast. Alfie and Heatley need to get going right now, and they have to get used to the fact that Emery is going to likely be the guy between the pipes for the long haul, and stop worrying about Hasek. Guys like Gord Wilson, with his shoulda-woulda-coulda crap, give the Sens a bad name and an excuse for when they get eliminated. Nobody remembers a "really great regular season team". The Sens need to deal with it and get moving, or it's tee times for next week...

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    I agree with Mike here about the Canes lucky goals but Gerber has been just pathethic in the playoffs thus far. I wouldn't be surprise to see Cam Ward start game 3 in Montreal...

Gerber is letting so many goals in he's gonna end up with a sun burn on the back of his neck from the red light being on so often behind him...
    I doubt Gerber will see another game in this series unless Ward play awful in the near future.

I wonder when was the last time both backup goalies were Suisse in an NHL series, Suisse cheese that is?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    I am an ottawa fan but don't see them win the cup. They aren't playing playoff hockey right now. I am predicting NJ vs Detroit.

"Richard"
    any of you who said they wouldn't get past the second watching this game? they are scoing at will. I saw where you were coming from but havlat is the x factor for them.

havlat is playing incredible - he knows if he wants to make money next year he needs a stellar playoff

"Richard"
    If he plays well ottawa is screwed (next year) acuse they will have to pay him! I say trade hasek, redden and someone else for roberto L... awesome goalie but I have no clue if that is even a fair trade and if its lopsided then in whos favour? Spezza, chara and havlat must be resigned

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i personally can't see them signing Chara over Redden. Chara is unbelievable, but i just think the presence and first break-out pass of Redden is second to noone in the NHL.

Looks like Vinny pulled a McCabe and thought he could hang with Chara. At least Chara decided he didn't want to knock Vinny out.

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    If he plays well ottawa is screwed (next year) acuse they will have to pay him! I say trade hasek, redden and someone else for roberto L... awesome goalie but I have no clue if that is even a fair trade and if its lopsided then in whos favour? Spezza, chara and havlat must be resigned
    that would be a TERRIBLE trade for ottawa. Luongo is one of the most overrated goalies in the league. Worst rebound control ever. Nobody will want Hasek next year. And have fun trying to trade a free agent.

"Richard"
    like I said, I don't know much about hockey except for the stats so i guess you could say I don't have a "feel" for the game but from what others have said to me who, from the way they talk, seem like they know a lot about hockey tell me that redden is a liability on defence. IFF that is the case then the team doesn't really need another offensive player. Either way... spezza and chara for yashin... hilarious!

"Richard"
    that would be a TERRIBLE trade for ottawa. Luongo is one of the most overrated goalies in the league. Worst rebound control ever. Nobody will want Hasek next year. And have fun trying to trade a free agent.
    They traded hossa for a 50 goal scorer!

Roberto L... I don't get to see him play much but he was good enough to rep canada and good enough to be offered a 5 year $30mil contract (which he rejected). Whoever gets him will have a great young goalie to build around for a very long time.
    Last edited by "Richard"; 04-25-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Luongo - only taken on team canada because he's young and they need to be bringing up a goalie for the future. He is really overrated. Sure, he makes a lot of saves in a game, but he wouldn't have to make nearly as many if he could control his rebounds. He makes his defencemen's jobs a lot harder. There are better goalies out there who you can get without giving up half your team and half your payroll

"Richard"
    you make a good point. RYAN SMITH SCORES!!!

Luongo - only taken on team canada because he's young and they need to be bringing up a goalie for the future. He is really overrated. Sure, he makes a lot of saves in a game, but he wouldn't have to make nearly as many if he could control his rebounds. He makes his defencemen's jobs a lot harder. There are better goalies out there who you can get without giving up half your team and half your payroll
    I would not say Luongo is that overrated. He is a very good goalie, and def one of the better goalies in the NHL. Just because he turned down the 30million in Florida, doesn't mean he would turn down the same deal in Ottawa or another contendor team. Who knows, by the end of the playoffs, Emery could be the new "Giggy" or "Kipper" and get rewarded like both of them did, and us in Ottawa will not even be considering any other goalie, lets hope anyway.

"Richard"
    Spezza had 4 points and wasn't one of the 3 stars? Crazy! Ottawa needs a goalie, its always been their weakness. I still think tugger was the best goalie ottawa ever had. Lalime was horrible in the playoffs and getting rid of him was a great move. I dont' think emry has what it takes to be an elite goalie in the NHL but I guess on that team he just has to be good. But kipper making 3.5Mil to me is a steal. Here is one thing I never understood about the NHL, how come in the NBA you have other teams offering your FRA's contracts and then the team of the player has 10 days to match. In the NHL you never even hear of an offer! I know you have to give up 5 first rounders but who cares if you are the best team in the league... 5 picks over 25th overall spread out over 5 years isn't that had is it? Someone explain this to me as I really don't understand.. I'm probably missing something. For someone not to make kipper an offer doesn't make sense. With the cap now you know a teams financial situation so you will know if they can match or not

Unrestricted free agents you don't get a chance to match, but with restricted free agents you do get a chance. I'm not sure what Kipprusof's contract situation is at this time, so i shouldn't comment, but im betting it's only 3.5 because he only really had one solid run. I also don't think he was a FA after the run, and probably signed a contract extension at 3.5 mil was a good bet going into a potential lockout, and not knowing if he would be able to continue his spectacular play. Last thing he would want is to pass up 3.5 only to have a crappy year and be sent back to the minors. Also, I think few ppl would be willing to shell out big bucks when a goalie comes out of nowhere like that. I know they did for Giguere, but that signing always baffled me. He played well, but not 5 million well. His MASSIVE gear did more than he did.

As for Emery, it remains to be seen. We've got a couple months of playoffs ahead of us where he will either prove himself as an elite level goalie, or prove that he's got a ways to go....we'll have to wait and see. You do have to give him one thing - he's one hell of an athlete and doesn't take crap from anyone. He gets across his crease faster than a lot of goalies out there - he's got the talent, its just a question of his mental game...the next 2 months should go a long way to proving where he is at.

"Richard"
    He did have a good run for a bit when hasek went down so he does have the ability but as someone mentioned in an earlier thread, its a very mentally challenging position. He is a bit of a nut case from what the papers say. Suspended for 5 games, dying his hair blonde, getting a rapist airbrushed onto his goalie mash. Dont' think anyone was imperssed with that. Anyway, time will tell. Can anyone tell me the last player to change teams via RFA offer from another team? I know CAR tried to get federov from DET and det matched but I can't think of a single player. I also remember the players were charging that the owners were tampering and conspiring against them based on the fact that no offers to RFA have been made in years. It was kinda of an unwritten rule among owners to take one more advantage away from players and help control salaries

I can't tell you, to be honest. I didn't think it was that rare...thought it happened all the time, but I could be wrong. As for Emery, I don't see the problem with dying his hair blonde. The 5 game suspension was no doubt for his involvement in a brawl of some sort, but you could see tonight that he held himself back on a few occasions, knowing that his team could not afford to lose him. As for the Tyson thing - which I didn't really mind that much (so what if the guy admires Tyson as an athlete, he did rule the world of boxing for a few years - I'm sure he wasn't trying to glorify rape) - I thought it showed a lot of class that he changed the helmet as soon as there was any complaint. I think a lot of people would have made a fuss, but he thought better of it and changed it. I know, I sound like the leader of the Ray Emery fan club, but I feel I should give the guy some credit. He's only 23 and has been thrown into a tough situation - he's essentially being asked to fill Hasek's shoes and bring home a cup, a tall order for a rookie. So far he's been doing a good job, and showing a lot of maturity.

"Richard"
    and I sound like I hate the guy. He is doing a great job, just trown into the starting position on one of the best teams in the league and i guess I am comparing him to the top goalies in the league which isn't fair either. He did have to go to anger mgt. classes though, looks like they are helping And in his defence he did say that tyson was his hero growning up and he looked upto him so I guess that explains that. Not living in ottawa anymore I only hear the toronto spin on things and this is what they had to say...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...StarSource=RSS

I would like nothing more than him to turn into a top goalie in the NHL, ottawa is my team but I just don't see it yet but like you said, give him a lot of credit, 23 year old, not bad

hilarious article...no bias there.

Thread Information