CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: How far can Emery take Ottawa?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just the first round

4 13.79%
  • Second round

11 37.93%
  • Third round

1 3.45%
  • Detroit, here we come!

13 44.83%
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

How far can Ottawa go with Emery?

I have no faith in him, they overplayed him. And I don't think Hasek will be healthy anytime soon.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Emery has done an excellent job of filling in for Hasek since the olympics. Sure we've had some crappy games in the interim but I wouldn't say that I have no faith in him. Did you happen to watch any of the game last night? The whole team played amazing, Emery included. If they can play like they did last night, we shouldn't have any problems making it to at least the finals. Sure was nice to Havlat gettting back into his true form.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Not saying he's a bad goalie at all, just think they really overplayed him. Saw him play in person against Buffalo two weekends ago, he just seemed dead tired.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    If they're top 5 d-men can be Chara, Redden, Phillips, Mezaros and Volchenkov for most of the playoffs, then who's in net is highly overated. Especially against any goalie besides Brodeur. FWIW, I'm a Habs fan.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    While I agree that the Sens overplayed Emery and he looked a little tired at times, especially in back-to-back games - I don't think that will be a problem in the playoffs.

There are no back-to-back games in the playoffs, and unless every series goes 7 games you usually get some extra days off to rest up and recharge. Plus with all the D-men back and the team's focus back where it should be, I think Emery will not be left to fend for himself as often.

IMHO the Sens coasted a little after Xmas. They've learned how important the regular season is (which is not much), and only turned it on as much as they needed to. I don't think the players really cared whether they finished first or second in the conference.

Every team turns it up for the playoffs, but when the Sens decide to turn it on and play hard they are very tough to beat. As long as they don't get too careless in their own end, they'll be fine.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

"Richard"
    I would like to know how a goalie gets tired... he stands between two pipes and just sits there until someone gets the puck and shoots it at him. In a 60 minute game I'll be surpised if the goalie is extreme active for more than 10 minutes. I've played 36 holes of golf 4 straight days walking and was fine the next day for the next 36 holes. Sure on the 5th day I was beat but walking and golfing for 5 hours is a lot different than making a 30 saves a night... 3 out of 7 days a week. Sure they work out as well... so do a lot of people. If a defenseman of a centreman can play 25 minutes a game every game and not take days off how does a goalie get tired? Yes, I agree that its mental and sometimes they do need a break Mentally but not physically. As for ottawa, IF their top D men step it up and play the way they can they won't need him to be awesome, just good. Defence and goaltending win cups and right now it looks like its between ottawa, Det and Cal

The team I would most like to see do well other than ottawa has to be SJ just because that was be an amazing story... Torton comes in, averages a top on PPG in the 50-60 games he is there, turns a 20+ goal scorer into a 50 goal scorer.. that would be a great story

I go of on so many tangets

PS I have played goalie in hockey, soccer and our ball hockey league as well (a lot more shots) so I do kinda know what I'm talking about but by no means am I claiming to be right or expert, just personal opinion

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I can understand how you would think that (although it is a little surprising from someone who has played goal). I played for years, and some games aren't that tiring, but if you're getting a decent workload, its exhausting. They say an NHL goalie can lose 8-10 pounds during a game ( I read this a few years ago, when they had smaller equipment...who knows now) but either way, they need time once in a while to gain back the weight they haven't been able to put back on. Also, they are the only ppl out there who are working physically the whole game. There is no break - they're on their feet for two hours, wearing all that extra equipment (on skates). You're always on your feet, always moving. You always have to be ready. Think of a power play, and consider that each team is getting about 10 minutes of power play time a night, at least. For those 10 minutes, the goalie doesn't get a break - the lateral movement required to stay in position is extremely demanding. Making the saves is the least tiring part - its being in position to make them, and getting back into position after making them, that is really tiring. In my experience, having played both goalie and player at a relatively high level, goalie is more tiring overall. A player might be exhausted at the end of a shift, but he gets time to recover. Whenever I'm playing out, I will finish the game tired, but not exhausted. When I'm in net, and we have to line up to shake hands afterwards, all I want to do is find the dressing room, collapse onto the bench, and take of that filthy gear.

But back to Emery. I think he CAN take them all the way - he's got the skill. The question is, will his mental game be there. I think he'll pull it off, personally. (and you never know, we might see Hasek back, too)

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hey Jon,

great post. You could also add the pressure of the position. People firing pucks at you at 100 mph is not too relaxing. Comparing a round of golf with playing goalie is totally ridiculous. You walk to your ball slap it and take a leisurely walk to your next shot.

The pressure of being a goalie is probably as tiring as the physical work itself.

After any game the goalie is always the player who is the most tired.

Chambo

7 people that voted got it right. Realists? Leafs fans?

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    leaf fans!
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    ya, but emery had little to do with it

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I have played goalie in hockey, soccer and our ball hockey league as well (a lot more shots) so I do kinda know what I'm talking about but by no means am I claiming to be right or expert, just personal opinion
    Having been a goalie yourself I'm surprised you question a goalie playing at NHL level being tired. Just because he isn't stopping shots doesn't mean he's not mentaly focused for 60 minutes, which causes fatigue along with playoff pressure and travel.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

emery

Once again it looks like everyone wants to blame the goalie..this happened a couple of years ago with lalime, but i really dont think is their fault...
    emery managed to keep buffalo to about two goals a game...except for the first one..
    and did his job, the problem is our high powered offence dissappeared....
    for a team the was supposed to have the highest scoring offence in the league where
    did they all go????
    our defence...chara looked like a pilon with everyone skating around him, and the
    rest of the D must have gone color blind cause they made more passes to the other team than thier own...giveaways...wow..
    anyway in my opinion and its only mine emery did his job the rest of the team didnt.
    muckler didnt do his..should have brought in another goalie and now he is waffling on getting rid of hasek...and that forward he brought in who didnt score a goal and then didnt even dress for the playoffs...wow good moves there muck..
    anyway i was a leaf fan when i was a kid, think im gonna go back...at least there are no great expectations and therefore no big dissapointments, and hey if we win a game its a big deal and leaf fans are happy..
    go leafs

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I went ahead and voted 2nd round, I have a feeling that Buffalo is going to be tough.

Thread Information