CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

Lift clean and place

In my usual foursomes I'm known as being pretty picky about playing the ball down. But I think I'm going to start playing lift clean and place until it either get's warmer, dries up, or May 1st comes around.

I've already started unplugging balls "through the green". This doesn't feel like too much of a stretch to me right now. The ball still isn't travelling to good off of the tee. Some of the holes I play you hit a half decent drive and still end up with a mud coverred 3i into the green, yikes.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    For sure. if you have to go 25 ft sideways to some dry land, GO FOR IT. It's the Spring!!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Winter rules. Lift clean place within a clublength, except in a hazard. Only until the ground firms up and the grass is more consistant.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    We'll be allowing moving the ball until May 1st as there are still punch holes in the fairways and a some rough and wet areas right now. Once it firms up it will be play it as it lies. Not too many courses at this time of year that you can play it down.

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    I thought the rules allowed for lift, clean and drop of a ball plugged, "through the green"...

cheers,

Kris

1dash1
    Quote Originally Posted by kewarken
    I thought the rules allowed for lift, clean and drop of a ball plugged, "through the green"...

cheers,

Kris
    Kris:

The USGA and the R&A hold different attitudes about embedded ball relief, hence the basic rule applies only to "closely mown areas through the green". However, there is a provision in Appendix I for Committees to adopt a local rule deleting the reference of "closely mown areas", freeing relief to all areas through the green.
    • The USGA will always adopt this local rule in tournaments that they sponsor.
    • The R&A will seldom adopt it in any tournament that they sponsor.
    The opposite holds true for the local rule giving relief for stones in a bunker. The R&A routinely adopts it. The USGA will seldom adopt it in a tournament that they sponsor.

I'm hoping that in the 2008 rules revision, the ruling bodies compromise on these two issues.

Thread Information