100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar

Differences in balls?

I was browsing the equipment thread and started wondering about golf balls. And being a relatively new golfer (old one too [53 years old , golfing about 4 real seasons now]), I often walk into a place like Golf Town and am overwhelmed by the array of balls for sale. What I really wonder is - does the ball REALLY make that much difference? This might seem like a rudimentary comment at first, but what I wonder is, if I am scoring in the 90 - 95 range most of the time, with the odd time in the high 80's, is a specific type of ball really going to make that much difference in MY game? After all, I can't hit a ball with backspin so it stops dead on the green; I also can't always control my distance with my irons (long and short).
    If a certain ball is tested and approved, then how much difference is there really noticed by the majority of golfers? Will a specific ball help me play better? Or is it just in my head? That is, if I think this particular ball is better, then I play better because I have a good thought about it in my head?
    Now, I know that you guys that are low handicappers will probably swear by a certain ball or "ball type" based on what you can do with the ball. But I'd like to hear some thoughts about how people go about determining if a particular ball is better for them over another ball when they are in the mid-to-higher handicap range. Of course I also welcome any wisdom shared from you low handicappers!
    Being new in these forums, I also apologize in advance (and to the moderator) if there has been a thread or discussion on this earlier. I'm supposed to be working right now and was just curious and didn't get a chance to browse or search the threads... a kind soul can redirect me if needed.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I want to know the same thing; currently I just use whatever I can find and I wonder if that is a disadvantage not only on the fairway but on the greens in regards to roll.

Furthermore I"m *convinced* that the balls at driving ranges like Thunderbird are so low quality and jsut feel so different that they must not give the same ball flight as a normal medium quality one let alone a premium one.

I have a set of Nike One balls my GF gave me for xmas; she gets mad I dont use them but why would I use them when I average in the woods off the tee

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    There was a post about this before... someone posted a link to an independant study on balls, rating them in various categories.

not sure where it was, try a search and it should turn up.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    This comes up frequently.

In a nutshell, like you say there are lots of options and they do perform differently, especially when you compare different types of balls. Oversimplifying, there are three main types of balls.

1. High performance, multi-layer: E.g. ProV1, HX-Tour, etc.
    2. Mid range "compromise" balls: Lots of options here. Usually have a softer outer cover and come in two (most) and three (some) layer offerings.
    3. Two piece distance. Usually the cheapest.

Ball snobbery aside, most people will not score differently using a type 1 or type 2 ball.

What really matters is that you find a ball that you like the feel of and stick with it. Generally speaking all balls with go far enough if you hit them solidly. If you play a single brand you will get used to it's characteristics when chipping / putting / on approach shots, and that will result in lower scores.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you slice, you want a ball with less spin.
    Softer balls spin more, but don't fly as far.
    Hard balls go far and spin less, but are harder to conrol around the greens

Experiment and find a ball that is comfortable and play it exclusively. You will develop much more feel that way.

Afrer lots of games with this single make and model of ball you'll try other balls and they will imediately feel soft or hard to you and you may find one you like better... and on you go.

Anyone got any recommendations for a #2 class ball (#2 in jvincent's list) ...

here are my requirements:

soft, spins. Oh, and I can't help but carve them up like a christmas turkey, so cheap is good! (never get more than a hoel out of a ball before I've cut her up a bit ... and have to retire them within 4-5 holes)

I'm looking to play 1 ball all season (once I run through my current collection).

Thanks Guys

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Nwilliams ; I'll buy your old ones all season if you only use them for 4-5 holes

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    Anyone got any recommendations for a #2 class ball (#2 in jvincent's list) ...

here are my requirements:

soft, spins. Oh, and I can't help but carve them up like a christmas turkey, so cheap is good! (never get more than a hoel out of a ball before I've cut her up a bit ... and have to retire them within 4-5 holes)

I'm looking to play 1 ball all season (once I run through my current collection).

Thanks Guys
    I really like the Maxfli Rev. Ext. cuz its affordable and playable.. good balance between distance and spin....but u will carve them up a bit.. I hit a wedge yesturday right on the "maxfli red dot" on the ball.. and ripped it right off... now i have a red dot on my wedge
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Nwilliams ; I'll buy your old ones all season if you only use them for 4-5 holes
    You'll see tonight @ Manderley, that you wouldn't want them lol ...

I really like the Maxfli Rev. Ext. cuz its affordable and playable.. good balance between distance and spin....but u will carve them up a bit.. I hit a wedge yesturday right on the "maxfli red dot" on the ball.. and ripped it right off... now i have a red dot on my wedge
    I was playing those on and off last year c/o the sale @ golf town, but was under the impression that they were no longer being produced? Is that the case, or was i misinformed?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I like the Strata Tour Ultimate. It's soft and durable. Knet for $25 a dozen mint.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I was playing those on and off last year c/o the sale @ golf town, but was under the impression that they were no longer being produced? Is that the case, or was i misinformed?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    I believe you were. I baught a dozen of them just a few weeks ago. But maybe it was over stock??.. not totally sure. Well in either case the Nike Mojo is comparable to the price and performance (but look a little silly with the glitter)
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    NXT tour would be a good class 2 ball..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I like the Strata Tour Ultimate. It's soft and durable. Knet for $25 a dozen mint.
    Yup, I bought 5 dozen of them through Knet's ebay auction for like $65. Mint.

Gives me plenty to lose this season

Speaking of buying old balls, what is the general response to buying 'gently used balls'. One of the newsletters talked about a company selling 'mint' quality used balls over the internet. I haven't bought recycled balls since the first year that I started golfing. And I bought the 'biggest darn bag for the least amount of money.. including X-outs". What's the general opinion about buying balls from one of these recyclers? Anyone use them satisfactorily?

Have a look at this therad on Knet which I mentioned above. I have used them many times and always have been very happy with the "mint" (near perfect) balls.
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=13155

just bought some

Thanks for the tip. I just went on the KnetGolf site from your link and ordered 4 dozen balls for me [Callaway Big Bertha Blue MINT] and 4 dozen for the wife [Assorted crystal Like Colors MINT]. Had to get the free shipping.
    I used the Callaways near the end of last season and was very happy with them. The wife likes the 'pretty colours', so what's good for the goose is good for....

Great prices and good balls. You'll have them in 2 business days.

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    I had the same question last year and so I tried about 20 Callaway Big Bertha blue's (softer with more spin) and then bought a few sleeves of the reds (harder with less spin) because they were from the same manufacturer but with the different hardness's. Wow - much to my surprise it was easy to tell the difference. It was easy to confirm the difference when I went back to a sleeve of the reds in the middle of a round as I was running out of the blues. Since then I have a much bettor sense of what I like when I try different brands.

In terms of being able to spin the ball, try watching how your ball reacts (lands) when hitting a soft short (5 - 20 ft.) wedge onto the green. You might be surprised at how the checks briefly before running forward. Try two shots with a soft ball and two with a hard ball.

It is really easy to tell the difference between soft and hard balls by gently tapping different balls against your two bottom front teeth.

Just stumbled onto this while looking at something completely different ...

some good timing

"They put 48 different balls on the robot and hit them to show driver distance/accuracy, 8 iron accuracy, spin, and feel."

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/10123045866.jpg&s=x10

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Just stumbled onto this while looking at something completely different ...

some good timing

"They put 48 different balls on the robot and hit them to show driver distance/accuracy, 8 iron accuracy, spin, and feel."

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/10123045866.jpg&s=x10
    Interesting.

Wonder how those rankings will change seeing as a large number of those balls have new versions out this year...

here's a link to the thread .. i just starting reading a little more, and there's a fwe quotes and postings of other stuff...worth a read IMO

http://www.bombsquadgolf.com/invboar...owtopic=113605

Thread Information