CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Tiger 'politically incorrect'

Did anyone else see the item about Tiger on CNN? It would appear that his use of the term 'spaz' to characterize his putting on the last day of the Masters has people upset at him because it is also a term used to describe the involuntary movements of people with MS (I believe they said MS but it could have been MD)....

What to hell is the world coming to
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Lame. Obviously he was jsut describing his awful putting (for his standards) if I putted like that i twould of been a glorious day; maybe even see blue.

Whoops I hope I didn't offend any special interest groups with my opening word on the last post. Oh wait no one cares what I have to say

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Ridiculous. Slow news day eh?

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    its MS thats upset with him and they're only upset with him because he has lots of money for them to try and collect out of him for saying it. If I said it on tv nobody would say a thing... darn this world... darn it all to spazville
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    So they would have preferred that he said 'wow, I putted like someone with MS!' ?

Everyone knows the insult Tiger was hurling was at himself.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Pathetic. It's one thing to protect us from ourselves when we're wielding guns or poisons, but... it appears some people just don't have enough to do...
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Some people need to get a life, or a dictionary.

Spaz: One who is considered clumsy or inept.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Bunch of Crap

His use of the word was completely appropriate. The definition can be driectly related to paralysis but it also can mean intermittent unwanted movement. GEEZ, no one putting has ever had that!!! I would not doubt that he has to "clarify " and apologise, what a CROCK. He was brutally honest with every one so let the man anguish in his own intermittent unwanted movment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    its MS thats upset with him and they're only upset with him because he has lots of money for them to try and collect out of him for saying it. If I said it on tv nobody would say a thing... darn this world... darn it all to spazville
    You hit the nail on the head w/ this one ... MONEY.

This is why various groups in the US (mainly the US) put pressure on certain box office movies due to content, then accept cash to leave them alone ... it's pretty disgusting .
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Also green peace, sierra club all of those guys do some good things; however when they don't have a pressing issue they just go find one because if they aren't "saving something" than they go outta business.

Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Oh wait no one cares what I have to say
    Were you talking to us?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Ridiculous. Slow news day eh?
    Well, I think it was right before Michael Jackson's money woes, so I guess it was just a filler after all! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    His use of the word was completely appropriate. The definition can be driectly related to paralysis but it also can mean intermittent unwanted movement. GEEZ, no one putting has ever had that!!! I would not doubt that he has to "clarify " and apologise, what a CROCK. He was brutally honest with every one so let the man anguish in his own intermittent unwanted movment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He has already come out and said 'sorry' and one of the papers in CA actually 'bleeped' the word 'spaz' out in its report of it! Tis a sad but almost politically correct world we live in folks..... no wonder I am always in crap up to my eye brows.... I don't do the politically correct thingy....

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    That's horrible ... I can't bleieve he apologized, I'd never let them think they were right. Although I'm sure the apolozy is care of a PR rep, or Nike pushing him.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Or proding him

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Apology

Tiger given all of his incredible media attention was raised with proper morals and I am sure his apology, although IMHO was not needed or motivated, was likely sincere, he would never make fun or try to insult any handicapped group. I am sure he needed no prodding of any kind to make the apology and was sincere about it. He knows first hand about stereotypes so I am sure he is aware od such sensitivities.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer
    ... darn this world... darn it all to spazville
    Hey, I live in Spazville and that's offensive!! You better issue a public apology before all the Spaz's in Spazville sue your ass off.

I doubt anyone with MS was realy offended by that. My mom had MS and she always joked and called herself "gimpy". I never heard "spaz" used in refrence to MS even though the word was used a lot more 20 - 30 years ago than it is now. It's just silly.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I doubt anyone with MS was realy offended by that. My mom had MS and she always joked and called herself "gimpy". I never heard "spaz" used in refrence to MS even though the word was used a lot more 20 - 30 years ago than it is now. It's just silly.
    Isn't it always the case that the people being protected from "sticks n stones" have a far better sense of humour than the outraged special interest groups...

Tiger should have just read the dictionary definition.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Doesn't "spaz" refer to "spasmodic" as in "muscle spasm"? Do all of us who have ever suffered a muscle spasm have the right to start up a class-action against Tiger?

As someone who has had a muscle spasm, I wish I was able to putt as well as Tiger did on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by KickerOfElves
    Isn't it always the case that the people being protected from "sticks n stones" have a far better sense of humour than the outraged special interest groups...
    Yup, nothing like the special interest groups, as usual, being offended on behalf on someone else.
    At least Tiger didn't say he putted like a thotho.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    "Spaz" is a shortened version of spastic. Certain patients with cerebral palsy are often said to have a condition as spasticity in their muscles due to problems with certain regions of the motor cortex in the brain. Spastic muscles are typically stiff or tight and may interfere with gait, movement, and speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Hey, I live in Spazville and that's offensive!! You better issue a public apology before all the Spaz's in Spazville sue your ass off.
    Hey, no fair! How did that get throught the forum filter and when I so it I get CENSORED! I am envious Shivas!

Quote Originally Posted by KickerOfElves

Tiger should have just read the dictionary definition.
    Something tells me we haven't heard the end of this one...... its just a feeling I have. Unless somone does something really stupid that is! LOL

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I was diagnosed with MS in 1999, and my mom also has MS. Let me officially go on record to say that Tiger's comment was not at all offensive to me. I actually laughed when I heard it and my mom probably would have too. What a crock of crap that someone has to raise a stink about this.

BTW, Hank Hill's explaination of the word is correct. Spastic muscles are a common symptom of CP, ALS, and MS. Ironically, putting is probably the best part of my game

If this keeps up we'll have about 4 useable pages in the dictionary...

"Hey you can't use the word 'page'! Those of us who are assistants to medieval knights resent you using that word!"

The knights assistants and their families don't care but thier watchdog group needs some cash...

Yeah, the Don't Bend Our Pages group, I hear they are tough.

Can we say knights? Or should it be "Armoured mobility challenged engishmen"

Thread Information