100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driving Range

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar

Driving Range

Ok..not sure if this is the correct folder for this thread but Dan you wont mind moving it if its not right? ... eeeh ....ya.. moving on...

So I had a few preseason sessions at the driving range getting use to my new driver (touredge - see signiture) and i was getting worried because every ball i hit was a bad slice.. and i mean bad.. like 15-20 yards off centre...

Played my first round at raceview tonight afterwork..got up to the 2nd hole (if you know it) and i pulled out my driver and lined up pretty much aiming out at the pond on the left expecting my 15 yard slice to bring it back over onto the fairway... so I swing.. my normal swing... and WHAM... i hit it 260 yards dead straight.. made a nice splash.. and im down 1 nike mojo....

next 265 yard par 4.. pull out the driver and aim just up the left side of the fairway thinking my slice isnt as bad today or something.. and WHAM... drive it straight again.. just miss the green to the left...

does anyone find that they slice driving range balls but not regular balls?.. im very confused... i hit another straight one on the 9th par 4.. but too long.. drove past the dog leg.. damnit.. not use to my distance yet .. old driver was only good for 235
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I always seem to have poor driving at the range at Raceview. I wonder if some of the balls are too old and cause this problem.

Do range balls wear out from repeated use? Can anyone answer this?

Also, you are always driving right into the wind at their range, loss of distance and some slice/fade is expected.
    "Get your smile on!"

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    The only reason I can think of why your shots are going to the right at the driving range and not during real play is that your swinging for the gusto at the driving range and your timing is a little off. When you play golf your swinging smoother and allowing your timing between your upper body and lower body to be more in sync thus straighter shots!! Of course there are those that blame that kind of stuff on the driving range gremlins but I'm holding out on my assessment of that theory.

hmmm gremlins you say.... yes...yes I think that works well.... the Gremlins did it!
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Is the range you are playing at Kevin Haime, or 19th tee, or anywhere like that...

'like that' in the sense that the mats do not line up directly w/ the intented targets because they have so many mats that they need to angle them to conserve space.

Depending on where you are going, you might be picking a target that is not in line w/ your alignment on the mat, and generating an open face, or the feeling/urge to produce an outside - in swing path.

It would be the same as when ppl play a short par 3 w/ the teebox 20* offline of the green, and manage to miss the green w/ a wedge by slicing the ball.

No guaruntees that this is the problem, but from my own experience (I fight bad alignment daily), this can often produce these types of results.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Actually It was at kevin haimes... but I usually pick a target in the distance like a tree or a hydro poll... but you might on to something.. I always feel like im trying to hard to stand on the mat
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Could be mental. Yesterday at Manderly I was slicing soooo bad that I lined one up at #2 Central for the pond on the left like yourself hoping to slice back; and bang straight into the pond. Next hole same thing but into the woods, next hole I figure i'll do it straight and wahat do you know SLICE over the bushes into a cornfield... You're not alone

Also; I belive the balls at the range don't go as far so it messes you up trying to figure out your distances...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Also; I belive the balls at the range don't go as far so it messes you up trying to figure out your distances...
    Depends on the range, but most use regular golf balls. The balls at Target and at Raceview are NOT reduced flight, and I believe Kevin Haime's is the same.

However, you should remember that at the range you usually will NOT get much roll distance. Ranges are not cut to fairway height - the grass is usually the height of the rough on a real course and sometimes even longer. So the only distance measure you can get accurately at a range is your CARRY distance. Depending on your normal flight trajectory, that can mean a big difference in your total distances between the range and the course.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Some range balls become range balls because they exceed the initial velocity allowed by the rules and as a result go farther than normal. Obviously there are others than do not fly as far so forget about your distances and consder accuracy when practicing. Others will fly higher and drop more quickly, well short of what a ProV1 or their equivalents would do.

If you hit balls on the range at the Smiths' Falls GC, you will notice a huge diffrence in distance as they use "Short Flite" range balls, because they lack the space for normal balls.

Also, after repeated uses and washes the dimples of the balls get worn down or become smooth, causing some shots to fly erratically.

I go to Thunderbird Golf & Go-Karts and noticed there balls were alittle different. Thanks for clearing it up.

Gap Wedge zhangtony is on a distinguished road

It's your swing.

Your driver shaft is stiffer for you. Aiming to the left help your swing a little.
    The ball doesn't creat any sidespin at all by itself. In fact, if there are
    any kind of balls more sensitive to the sidespin, you will feel happier because you
    know your swing has some faults for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer
    Ok..not sure if this is the correct folder for this thread but Dan you wont mind moving it if its not right? ... eeeh ....ya.. moving on...

So I had a few preseason sessions at the driving range getting use to my new driver (touredge - see signiture) and i was getting worried because every ball i hit was a bad slice.. and i mean bad.. like 15-20 yards off centre...

Played my first round at raceview tonight afterwork..got up to the 2nd hole (if you know it) and i pulled out my driver and lined up pretty much aiming out at the pond on the left expecting my 15 yard slice to bring it back over onto the fairway... so I swing.. my normal swing... and WHAM... i hit it 260 yards dead straight.. made a nice splash.. and im down 1 nike mojo....

next 265 yard par 4.. pull out the driver and aim just up the left side of the fairway thinking my slice isnt as bad today or something.. and WHAM... drive it straight again.. just miss the green to the left...

does anyone find that they slice driving range balls but not regular balls?.. im very confused... i hit another straight one on the 9th par 4.. but too long.. drove past the dog leg.. damnit.. not use to my distance yet .. old driver was only good for 235

Thread Information