+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Paint fill question.

I have recieved some advice on how to change the paintfill in my irons. Wondering if anyone had any other methods. This is what I've been told.

1) Fill the bottom of a bucket with acetone and put the irons in it. Not sure of time lapse here, anyone know how long?

2) Take irons out and give a wipe to remove old paint fill, possibly use a brush for stubborn sections.

3) Use either automotive paint, nail polish or coloured heavy ink pens to fill in the spaces.

4) Wait for the new paint fill to dry and then apply acetone to a rag/towel and give a quick wipe over the iron to remove the excess on the outside of the openings where the new paintfill was applied.

Does this sound correct to anyone who's tried this? Seeing that my irons are cast and not brand new I figured I'd try to personalize them. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Hmm.. I have heard of guys just paintin over the old paint.. I haven't done it but they say they use a toothpick to apply the paint..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

I've heard of that as well, but was told it is very time consuming. I'll have to experiment.

One more thing, I've never dealt with acetone before (or at least to my knowledge), should I be using gloves when handling it and any thing that has been submerged in it?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    One more thing, I've never dealt with acetone before (or at least to my knowledge), should I be using gloves when handling it and any thing that has been submerged in it?
    I'd recommend it Geoff. I usually don't wear gloves when using it, but my understanding is that it's pretty nasty stuff...

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Geoff, I just did my 731PM's in red (they look amazing)

I'll post pics and details this evening for you ... it went off w/o a hitch
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

actually I can post the process now ... picks to come.

#1 I used poly stripper...it's pretty harsh stuff but it will not damage chrome, or any toher finish i tried it on.

put the poly stripper on the painted areas you want to remove (make sure to use a Q tip or needle to get it into the grooves...don't be worried about being messy w/ it .. it can't hurt the clubs ...)

let ti sit for a min then spray it off... if you have something high pressured that's awsome...everything will blast out in seconds...if you are just using the faucet, get ready for a bit of work, and the use of a needle to clean everything out.

#2 - I used automotive paint from canadian tire (10$ a tube). I grabbed the "paint pens" then have ... fyi the pen part won't do you any good, but they unscrew to reveal a paint brush.

I paint the lettering (not at all carefully)... just fill the indentations, and let the paint go wherever ... we'll get it off later.

#3 - let the pain dry...it really only takes 1h, but if you leave them overnight you will get the best results.

#4 - dab poly stripper around the painted areas (not on them) and take a cloth and wipe back and forth ... all the surrounding paint will come off but the filled areas will stay unaffected... don't use too much poly striper though, 'cause then it could seep into the indentations and kill the parts you want to keep.

I did a whole set in 1h total.

GL

Thanks Nat. I figured about an hour to two for the whole project. Being my first time and all. I was just on the GW site and they have fine and micro fine pens for paintfilling. Going to stop by there today and check it out. I already have one of my wedges done in gold and silver so probably going to keep that theme. Not sure though. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    actually I can post the process now ... picks to come.

#1 I used poly stripper...it's pretty harsh stuff but it will not damage chrome, or any toher finish i tried it on.

put the poly stripper on the painted areas you want to remove (make sure to use a Q tip or needle to get it into the grooves...don't be worried about being messy w/ it .. it can't hurt the clubs ...)

let ti sit for a min then spray it off... if you have something high pressured that's awsome...everything will blast out in seconds...if you are just using the faucet, get ready for a bit of work, and the use of a needle to clean everything out.
    That's why I was thinking acetone. Just let the clubs sit in it for a while and then rinse. Apparently it will take the old paint right out. I'll ask at GW if they have any recommendations.

Was also thinking of doing the scoring lines on the face. Thought that would be pretty cool as well.

p.s. no gloves required w/ poly stripper ... assuming you wipe it off your skin on contact... otherwise it will eat you alive

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road
    The paint marker pens from Golfworks do the trick. That testors model car paint stuff also works pretty well if you have a very steady hand but for those of us who frequent the Tim Hortons drive thru on a regular basis ... the pens are the way to go ...

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I don't frequent T-Ho's but just have a naturally shaky hand. Good to know about the pens. The shaky hand works great at the poker table..

Quote Originally Posted by CBrown
    The paint marker pens from Golfworks do the trick. That testors model car paint stuff also works pretty well if you have a very steady hand but for those of us who frequent the Tim Hortons drive thru on a regular basis ... the pens are the way to go ...

Good luck.
    I don't get it! I drink caffeine all the time, it doesn't affect me one bit. Really, it doesn't seem to bother me, I can't seem to understand why people are always concerned about it, come on guys, really!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Geoff, i used "Heavy Body Paint & Varnish Remover" to get rid of the paint that was previously there. I went to a craft store to get the paint, the paint that is used on model cars/planes worked perfect for me. Just buy a fine paint brush and like you said, when the paint is dried, put a little of the Remover on a rag, then wipe the area around the paintfill and it will look great! Have fun, its good fun to personalize your clubs.

Here's a pic of my irons:

Was thinking of maybe an Ottawa Golf green? What do you think Dan?
    Was also thinking of using a yellow and some other colour. I do want to try and fill in that large groove below the Titleist 990-B engraving. C'mon guys throw in your $0.02. What do you think would make a good colour scheme? I am limiting it to two or three colours.

Since the DCI irons tend to be a little dull go with something to brighten it up without making it gaudy.

If you go with a green use a brighter green...

The Titleist headcovers have what, red and white on them? Try and pick colours that are already in your bag. What colour is your bag?

I don't use the stock HCs. I have Marvin the Martian HCs. They have black, red, yellow and green in them.

As for the bag, according to Denny, its black and BROWN. Not using that for my clubs.

But I was definately thinking bright. Yellow, some white maybe, bright blue. Not sure what colours GW has. On the site it just says white, blue, red etc. Not sure how bright they are.

I'll say from experience that red brightens up a set of titleists, and makes them look really sharp.

A really solid yellow might also be nice ...

My picks will be up around 9pm tonight if you can wait that long

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road
    Given the Club Ho' rep, I'd suggest a nice bright pink ... I think it's called Caddy pink. You might also consider a big felt hat with a Titleist logo on the front ...

I was thinking a big straw hat. Would rather keep a little more country than big city.

Stopped in at GW and picked up some yellow, white and blue. We'll see how that goes.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Geez... I hope the next owner likes those colours!
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

They're gonna have to!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    Geez... I hope the next owner likes those colours!
    I'm sure I will!

Dibs on the 990s!

OK Kicker, you're first in line. Remind after the season's over to see if I still want them.

OK Kicker, you're first in line. Remind after the season's over to see if I still want them.
    Ha, PRE-season maybe!

We can discuss a head swap so you can keep your S300s

Not sure if you are going to like irons that have the hosels worn down. Maybe I'll colour those as well. A big yellow, white and blue bullseye on the hosel. Now that would be sweet.

Not sure if you are going to like irons that have the hosels worn down. Maybe I'll colour those as well. A big yellow, white and blue bullseye on the hosel. Now that would be sweet.
    Just play Titleist balls and try and hit them square on the label...tell people it's a special edition "just look at those Titleist embossed hosels!"

Good idea!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    If you're filling the "FOR SALE" you had stamped on them, use red, it will show up well from a distance.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    If you're filling the "FOR SALE" you had stamped on them, use red, it will show up well from a distance.

Thread Information