100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Serious question guys, regarding the peanut allergy thing, and I really don't want to offend.
    Do you think that the governments should consider grouping kids with allergies in their own classes? I just can't imagine never being able to send my daughter to school with a P&J sandwich for lunch. Since I've become a dad, been thinking about that. Any other dads think about it?
    Sheesh, didn't think this thread would get so deep!!! Atta boy thotho!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    shark, wouldn't you have tin eat the penut butter to die? which means you would either have to lick your golf ball after putting out or stick your tounge in the hole... not making light of the situation but are you saying you could die just from touching penut butter?
    answer..yes. I actually ate peanut butter almost every day as a kid up until age 13. Mother found jars under my bed I loved it so much.
    One day after s/w I complain something stuck in throat. Mother says drink water. I come back still complaining. She screams, points at mirror. My face is dark blue, my lips are 5 times their normal size, eyes are slits. Rushed to emergency ward, throw up on check in nurse. Given treatment. Next day testing says life threatening allergy. (thats why they don't recommend giving it to babies, can eventually become allergy).
    Doctors inform me that skin absorbs items i.e. medicinal creams etc. Therefore it can react to touch, and even smell.
    When you smell food the odor coming to your nose carries chemical protein, which for me, makes me ill just smelling it.
    Some people say "well just avoid it". Next time shopping look at 'may contain' on chips, cookies, frozen dinners, basically everything.

Sorry for the medical info mercial.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Joseph was a carpenter.
    wasn't he a carpenter??
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

"Richard"
    Shark, thats nuts! I wonder what would have happened if someone died? Could steve be charged with anything? If so what? Also, lets say the guy who hit into our 3some hit someone in the head and the guy dies... can he be charged with anything? I've alwayed wondered that...

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar

no sorries required

For one, I knew nothing about peanut allergies, so your post is informative, and could help me avoid some awkward (or worse - dangerous) situations in the future. I remember bringing a Nature Valley bar to class with me, and I opened it beside a classmate, who informed me that he was allergic to peanuts. I made some ignorant (uninformed, not rude) joke that I didn't plan on sharing, so no worries. Now, I realize there were worries, and that I owe that guy an apology.

Once again, thanks for the info! Lazy guys like me would never read up on such things on their own, so this is probably a blessing the thread went the direction it did.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    answer..yes. I actually ate peanut butter almost every day as a kid up until age 13. Mother found jars under my bed I loved it so much.
    One day after s/w I complain something stuck in throat. Mother says drink water. I come back still complaining. She screams, points at mirror. My face is dark blue, my lips are 5 times their normal size, eyes are slits. Rushed to emergency ward, throw up on check in nurse. Given treatment. Next day testing says life threatening allergy. (thats why they don't recommend giving it to babies, can eventually become allergy).
    Doctors inform me that skin absorbs items i.e. medicinal creams etc. Therefore it can react to touch, and even smell.
    When you smell food the odor coming to your nose carries chemical protein, which for me, makes me ill just smelling it.
    Some people say "well just avoid it". Next time shopping look at 'may contain' on chips, cookies, frozen dinners, basically everything.

Sorry for the medical info mercial.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    Probably manslaughter

Your best chance would be to sue for negligence, but given that being harmed is an inherent risk of playing golf, I doubt you'd get too far. As for the peanut butter, that as well would be tough, as there was no intent to harm the individual. However, once again, negligence could be proven I suppose. That's about as much as my intro to law course taught me. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge on the subject?

lets say the guy who hit into our 3some hit someone in the head and the guy dies... can he be charged with anything? I've alwayed wondered that...

"Richard"
    you think he could be found guilty??? Thats a bit of a strech no??? In steves case and in the case if the guy smoking him in the head with a driver... ball going 160mph? wow...

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    You can complain about this pots but if you were to remove all of Thotho's posts... This whole board would be alot alot alot slower. Actually the # ofposts help bring up the rankings on the search engine as it shows more activity coming from this site.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    No way; when you got to a golf course I'm pretty sure you waive all those rights

In both cases, I doubt anyone would be found guilty. I'm not lawyer obviously, but both acts seem too accidental to be found criminal. Without intent, or any real reckless behaviour (if the guy had a reputation of hitting into groups, that may be another story), charges are generally dropped and medical bills settled out of court.

I'm sure someone on this board has a criminology degree (scottycameron?!), and could provide a more informed response.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I don't think you're being fair to thotho here. It wasn't him after all and there's only so much someone can do. aside from leaving. This guy is clearly a little twisted. i'm not sure I'd be ready to drop the gloves over this. You cant' just start fights you have to be diplomatic. I'm sure thotho made and effort.
    So if someone in your pairing takes a big chunk of turf out of the green after a missed putt that is ok with you? Or they do not fix ball marks, or they do not replace divots.

Not me, and I would say something about it too, and in the past I have.

We as golfers have to police our own actions, and that the actions of our playing partners while on the golf course. Golf is a game that is supposed to be played by GENTLEMEN. Not a bunch of morons running around the course putting peanut butter in the cups.

Much the same as my round on Sunday, the clowns in the 4some ahead of us. Clearly a bunch of hacks, 6 shots each on a 140 yard Par 4, then as they exit the green one clown pulls his cart across the green. So do you let something like that go? Not me, I ripped a strip off his back from the tee box. On the next tee box he leaves a 3/4 full can of beer sitting on the tee. Honestly do people like this deserve to be on a golf course at all?

Sorry gentlemen, I do not condone acts of stupidity on the golf course. I have played this game for 25 years now. It is a game of intgerity and sportsmanship. Someone who is stupid enough to carry a jar of penaut butter with him on a golf course, and putting gobs of it in the cup does not deserve to be playing a GENTLEMAN'S GAME.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    Golfbum, it wasn't a jar of penut butter... that would just be silly now

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    If carrying a jar is silly, then having small packets is just plain absurd!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    geoff, makes more sense to carry packs instead ofa jar. The volume of the jar would just get in the way since its so bulky. Packs are deffo the way to go IMO

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I wonder if they still make the PB&J mixed stuff? That would make things much easier for him...

I can imagine that the guy would be pretty easy to spot with all those squirrels crawling around on his golf bag... Oh yeah, and the foil hat...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Joseph was a carpenter.
    Actually Jesus was a carpenter. But just so there's no confusion, and since this is one of the wierdest threads ever ...the first thing Jesus said to his diciples was "follow me, and I will make you fishers of men"...
    ...and now back to PB & J.

Lobwedge - that senseless post is typical of the resident troll, powerdriver, - it's his usual drivel...or is that dribble?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Serious question guys, regarding the peanut allergy thing, and I really don't want to offend.
    Do you think that the governments should consider grouping kids with allergies in their own classes? I just can't imagine never being able to send my daughter to school with a P&J sandwich for lunch. Since I've become a dad, been thinking about that. Any other dads think about it?
    My son's school has a policy of no PB & J on the grounds.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Do you think that the governments should consider grouping kids with allergies in their own classes?
    So you are going to have a seperate class for less than 1% of the population?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Actually Jesus was a carpenter. But just so there's no confusion, and since this is one of the wierdest threads ever ...the first thing Jesus said to his diciples was "follow me, and I will make you fishers of men"...
    ...and now back to PB & J.

Lobwedge - that senseless post is typical of the resident troll, powerdriver, - it's his usual drivel...or is that dribble?
    I know Shivas. I just thought that it might be thotho's peanut butter buddy.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

powerdriver
    Hey Shivas. If you have something to say to me why don't you address me directly? Or are you not man enough?

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdriver
    Hey Shivas. If you have something to say to me why don't you address me directly? Or are you not man enough?

Yeah, that's what I thought...
    What, are you freaking 12?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Here's my serious answer to this.

My son has a peanut allergy and the school has rules about bringing nuts, a separate table for them at lunch, etc.

HOWEVER, I think that any attempt by the school to completely control this is a bad idea. Why? Because it gives people a false sense of security and most importantly it doesn't teach the children with the allergies the correct behaviour.

My son WILL NOT accept any food of any kind from somebody unless they can show him the packaging that guarantees it is nut free. It doesn't matter who you are. He has to be sure himself. If you offer him a piece of birthday cake he will grill you as to whether it has nuts, may have come into contact with nuts, etc. He's been doing this since he was five BTW.

If the kids get used to a "safe" environment they will eventually assume all food is safe because that's what they have grown accustomed to. This is a recipe for disaster. They need to assume that everything is bad for them until shown otherwise.

Of course the downside to this is that you have to wait while you kid reads the wrapper on every chocolate bar in the store. Helpful hint, Nestle's chocolates are mostly nut-free.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I'm just glad the courses are open and thotho is playing again. He's like a freak-magnet. (No offence meant)
    First the balls in the microwave and now the PB guy - is this by chance the same guy?

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've got to be honest with you thotho.
    Your threads have long since passed my point of suspended disbelief...., which is to say that I don't believe this peanut butter story for one second. Sorry, the other suckers here can fall for the Microwaved golf ball stories etc., but I sincerely doubt one guy can play with so many crazy partners.
    Keep 'em coming though... people seem to be entertained by them .
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    I've got to be honest with you thotho.
    Your threads have long since passed my point of suspended disbelief...., which is to say that I don't believe this peanut butter story for one second. Sorry, the other suckers here can fall for the Microwaved golf ball stories etc., but I sincerely doubt one guy can play with so many crazy partners.
    Keep 'em coming though... people seem to be entertained by them .
    Reid Reid Reid, where is your faith in your fellow man?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to fill the holes with 'peanut butter cups'?..da..dum.dum..(sound of embarassing rim shot considering bad joke and my allergy)
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Well done for trying to make things right, even though you were not the culprit.
    Good job Deepak.

just got off the phone with the course. After sharky made his point I wanted to make sure no one got sick or died and if they did i would turn steve in. Anyway, no harm done, everyone is fine. No one even mentioned it to them
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    I read a book called the havanna Room (or something like that)

A wealthy lawyer is charged with the death of his sons friend because he gave him a glass of milk after eating thai peAnut chicken and the resadue went on the glass.
    it really screws up his life.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    Good job Deepak.
    I hope you guys are buddies!

p.s. Deepak rocks.

Thread Information