CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar

Question Marshes or Eagle Creek?

For the past 3 years, I have been given a round of golf for Father's day. I've played with 3 other dads at Loch March each time. This year, I've been thinking about asking for an 'upgrade'. My rounds in the past year were usually in the 90 to 95 range, with a few in the high 80's. Not sure if that would/should influence people's opinions. My question is, would you rather play The Marshes or Eagle Creek for the 'upgraded round'.

I played the Marshes once, the summer before last. Had a great time, though the scoring wasn't that great. My game's improved some since then. Never played Eagle Creek. Scoring isn't really the focus for this one though. Just looking for a quality golf experience while playing a course I wouldn't normally play. If this were you, would you choose The Marshes or Eagle Creek?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'd choose the Marshes, just to avoid the mosquitoes.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If you've already played the Marshes, I would try Eagle Creek - it's a must play. Always a fun round, no matter how poorly you play. If you find that you prefer the Marshes, you can always go for that in future years.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Eagle Creek all the way for me. I love the fact that you actually feel like you are on a golf course by yourself, not in the middle of buildings, feeling like the golf course is out of place. When i am on Eagle, it feels exactly how golf courses should be, nowhere near big building and businesses.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I completely agree with Dave, Eagle Creek is the nicest golf course in Ottawa. Serene, challenging, and a beautiful walk. A lot of my friends complain constantly about the mosquitos, but bring some bug dope and enjoy.

Pitching Wedge Golf_Putz is on a distinguished road Golf_Putz's Avatar

Thanks for the input

I had heard that the moquitos could be quite thick. Is that because it is low-lying? marshy?lots of water?
    You mention that it's a nice walk, beefstuf - is it an easy walk, i.e. length not an issue, but up and down a lot of hills is. What's the terrain like?
    By the way, I agree with Dave that golf courses should be kind of isolated, surrounded by countryside, instead of tall buildings. It was kind of eerie on some holes at the Marshes to view the office towers so close.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Eagle Creek all the way. The Marshes is really designed for corporate goofy golf IMHO.

It's a very easy walk since there aren't a lot of big elevation changes. The course is what I would call "gently rolling".

As to the mosquitos, just try and avoid playing in the late afternoon and they'll be find. An extra large can of bug juice doesn't hurt either.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    The course has some slopes, but it will affect playability not the demand of the walk. I think that it is an easy walk. There are some ups and downs, but no where near the extremity of the dome. The paths are all cobble stone as well(which can be good and bad).

The reason for the mosquitos is because the course is on a marsh. There is a large amount of water and there are some large waste bunkers. The fairways are kentucky blue grass, and the greens are the truist in the region.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Putz
    Would you choose The Marshes or Eagle Creek?
    No brainer. Eagle Creek.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    yep eagle creek..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Eagle Creek all the way. The Marshes is really designed for corporate goofy golf IMHO.

It's a very easy walk since there aren't a lot of big elevation changes. The course is what I would call "gently rolling".

As to the mosquitos, just try and avoid playing in the late afternoon and they'll be find. An extra large can of bug juice doesn't hurt either.
    Corporate goofy golf? that's just silly. What are you Andre's buddy or something?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Corporate goofy golf? that's just silly. What are you Andre's buddy or something?
    Hey, I said IMHO. I've just never liked the Marshes.

I don't find the par 3s or 4s interesting and the par 5's are all about being long. Yes, it's beautifully maintained, but I just don't enjoy playing it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Andru
    Eagel Creek is a great golf course. Very scenic and fun to play. Don't let anyone fool you the bugs are insane. Don't let that stop you just be prepared.

The Marshes is a corporate golf experience. GPS carts, A1 service. Great conditions. You have to play it more than once to appreciate the design of the golf course. Only until you decide that you're really going to score do you appreciate the subtle contours of the greens and your shot selections. It's Robert Trent Jones man. The man knows what he's doing.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Hey, I said IMHO. I've just never liked the Marshes.

I don't find the par 3s or 4s interesting and the par 5's are all about being long. Yes, it's beautifully maintained, but I just don't enjoy playing it.
    It's really up to the individual. That I understand. I played with a guy who can't stand EC. He finds it boring.

The only thing that strikes me is you said, the par 5's are about being long. That's not really true. The par 5's are about shot making and positioning. You have to get your eyes of the beverage cart girl and the buildings and look at the golf course. There's a unique challenge there and you're missing it.

Having said that. I understand some courses just don't fit your eye. I kind of like both. They offer unique challenges. And Ec is fun to play now that I've seen the CanTour pros play there.

Thread Information