100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help please

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Kind of a tough question to answer. If I like the look it inspires confidence in me. I wont' argue with performance. I can get used to the look of an iron if it came down to it. But I would rather have something that appeals to my eye. It sounds stupid and trivial but the last thing I want to think of before pulling the trigger on a shot is "Gee I really don't like the look of my iron." If I like the look, at address I don't think of anything other than making a good swing.
    Then that big fat ugly mama won't do a thing for your slump
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    OK I think it's time for an intervention.

Geoff you need to settle down and stop changing clubs more often than you get out to play. You are obsessed.

I once shanked my way all around a green. It was hilarious.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Now that would be a sight. Shanking the putter.

Please intervene. Stop the madness. I need help.....with my swing. I will never give up the club hoing. You hear me, NEVER!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Shanking the putter.
    Actually it was a Lob wedge. I literally went all around the green at 45 degree angles in 4 shots.

That was a long time ago...
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I think that would be worse than what I'm going through now. Tough to accept shanks at such a slow swing speed. But easier to fix.

Just have to get to the range and get back to basics. Hoping I fix it sooner than later.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    This is from Steve Atherton, VP of instruction at GolfTEC:

Make sure you hang your arms naturally from your shoulders at address with maybe a slight amount of reach toward the ball. Also, push your rear end back as though you're getting ready to sit. If your hips and rear pull towards the ball during the downswing, your arms will naturally get closer to the ball and cause a shank. Also try putting 3 or 4 tees 1/8-1/4 inch beyond the toe of your club. When you swing make sure you don't hit the tees. Avoiding the tees wil keep you from extending and hitting the ball with the hosel.

Thanks Denny. Sounds like a great drill. Should have went to the range today to see where I'm at for my round tomorrow. Oh well, hope bobjones59 brings a helmet or walks on my left side.

"Richard"
    with a name like bobjones59 this guy better be good. bob jones and 59... two great things having to do with golf...

I don't know what to say. Something must've been messing with my mind that day at the range. Not one driver pop up and not one shank. The golf gods must have been playing one of their cruel jokes on. An 81 with an iron game that still needs some sharpening. Have to say I was quite pleased.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Hey, I just bought a driver off bobjones' father! About two hours ago! He told me he was golfing with someone from Ottawa Golf.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

That would be I. We had a blast today. Good to be out golfing.

Was he hitting his new R7?

I don't know what to say. Something must've been messing with my mind that day at the range.
    Have you never had the shanks before? Have you seen Tin Cup? Yours was a classic case buddy!

I've had the shanks before. But never for more than a couple of swings. Never a whole bucket at the range before. But glad they are gone......for now.

Doesn't have his R7 yet donny. He's still eagerly awaiting. He doesn't really need it the way he was hitting his Ping G2 today though.

G2 is what I bought off his dad. MINT shape, really awesome. Unreal deal!!!

So I heard. Nice pick up.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Shanks are often caused because you are moving in to the ball meaning that at impact you are now closer then you were at address. A great drill to cure this is to hit balls while “stepping” on you toes. Curl your toes under your feet in your shoes at address and then swing. You will feel immediately if your body lunges forward. Forward at the ball not the target line. This is a very efficient drill and it will keep you in balance.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    I don't know what to say. Something must've been messing with my mind that day at the range. Not one driver pop up and not one shank. The golf gods must have been playing one of their cruel jokes on. An 81 with an iron game that still needs some sharpening. Have to say I was quite pleased.
    Damn! I mean, good! It's good you like the irons, and have no plans to change them. You know, change them by trading them to me!

Sorry my friend. And these actually look pretty sweet with the new colours outside in better lighting. You're going to have wait a while for them.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Another good drill if you have a really active body is to hit balls in flip flops. Not those golf sandels but flip flops. You will have to control yourself unless you want to end up on your ass on breal your ankle.

Lob Wedge Shank is on a distinguished road Shank's Avatar
    I think that would be worse than what I'm going through now. Tough to accept shanks at such a slow swing speed. But easier to fix.

Just have to get to the range and get back to basics. Hoping I fix it sooner than later.
    Hi:
    New to the forums here, but in reading about your problem Geoff, [since your an above average golfer]I am guessing that your posture [balance] and the alignment of your shoulders with respect to your targert line is out of whack. Likely your shoulders at address are aiming (unintentionally) too far to the right [closed] of where you want to actually go..... Assuming most other things are correct this produces and out to in swing path in relation to the target [as you will unconciously try to correct it during the down-swing] and hence the hosel music. It is very easy to get a visual distortion going and it might take you a little while to get lined up correctly and feel comfortable/familiar with it again in your set-up, as with everything in golf. You may have to get another set of eyes to help you out at first, as it will likely feel that your shoulders are really open and you will feel like you are going to hit it left, but this will pass as you see the ball flight normalize and straighten out.
    As I said at the outset, this is just a guess based on a few assumptions, however the sooner you get your set-up and alignment correct the less likely you will cause other problems to creep in as corrective /compensatory actions in your swing.

hth this helps some

Shank

Sorry my friend. And these actually look pretty sweet with the new colours outside in better lighting. You're going to have wait a while for them.
    In all seriousness, I'm glad they're working out for you dude.

I'm going to give the Pi5s another shot, probably another range session and a round at least. Realized I had a swing flaw in full effect, so hopefully it's taken care of and I can go flag hunting

They are definately working. A beautiful 75 today. No complaints. Everything firing on all cylinders. Now if only I can keep it up.

A 75? Nice! I'd call that firing on all cylinders, 'less of course it was from the reds.

My first round will be this week, I'll probably be lucky to shoot 75 on the front 9.
    Might lose 75 balls if it goes especially bad...

Thread Information