100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

How do private courses work??

If you know a member can he get you on?? Does he have to play with you? Or does he just have to be on the property? Is it usually costly compared to public courses in the area that are compareable? Or is it cheaper? Huntclub for example, does anyone know how much it would cost me to play if I went with a member?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    No idea at huntclub but I doubt cheaper. HIGHLY doubt cheaper. Also I'm quite sure you have to play with them as your there playing guest.

Private clubs are exactly what the name says "private".

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Normally you have to play with them. I know a guest at the Royal Ottawa in prime time pays 125$. I believe the Hunt is close to 100$.

What a deal!

"Richard"
    Id rather play stonebridge twice for that much!

Or Meadows 3 times... or if yoru a discount club member 5 times somewhere!

Me too, although i have no problem paying 125 for the Royal, that course is epic.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I doubt if you can get on the Hunt Club for $100. Likely closer to $150.
    Union is $89 with a member.
    Free for me
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    When I invite a player it costs him $48+tx to play Haute Plaines, $65+tx for Talon or Predator, $75 at Kanata, $105 for Fontainebleau, $110 at Le Maître and he must play with me at all times.

You must also consider the course condition between a private club and a public course. Most public courses don’t even come close to private clubs.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Sorry Hunt Club is not 150 bucks to play.

powerdriver
    The Royal Ottawa is a joke course. If you pay $100 + to play there you are getting ripped off. Its an old mans course, built for senior citizens!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdriver
    The Royal Ottawa is a joke course. If you pay $100 + to play there you are getting ripped off. Its an old mans course, built for senior citizens!
    dude you are getting tired...i'll play with you there, and if you break par and beat me as well, i'll give you my clubs.
    Do you REALLY believe what you write, or do you just enjoy getting the responses?

That's the dumbest thing i've ever read on this board. Play it from the championship tees and say that. You'd shoot 150.

Agreed Sensfan this guy is a tool.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Don't forget that this course was recently good enough for the LPGA.......

That dude is just a troll, he's never got anything intelligent to say at all.

"Richard"
    oh man, the board for the last few days has been hilarious. The insults are flying every which way. I love it (but I doubt dan does). Anyway, so the conditions at a private club are much nicer and a public course? Why is that? less trafic? They just keep it in better condition because they have members paying huge dues and initation fees and they have no choice? gotta keep the members happy? I think I will play huntclub in a few months and see what the difference is.

They are better kept becaue they screen who gets to use them. Generally they take better care of the cours as well (members) they replace divots etc etc. Everyone has a vested interst becaus it is "there club" not like if your just playing a public one. I'd say better maintained but that isn't fair to greenskeepers at public courses; I just think that the members put more care into how they treat the course and there is more money for upgrades etc etc etc. I'd consider joining one when I'm old and need a social network but until than I'd rather keep $ in my pockets.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Sorry Hunt Club is not 150 bucks to play.
    Well what are the rates then?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Anyway, so the conditions at a private club are much nicer and a public course? Why is that? less trafic? They just keep it in better condition because they have members paying huge dues and initation fees and they have no choice? gotta keep the members happy? I think I will play huntclub in a few months and see what the difference is.
    Yes conditions are generally much nicer at private courses regardless of where you are. Usually because they are bent grass fairways and spend more on conditioning.

Hunt Club costs members $75 (last year) to bring a guest & members are allowed to bring a maximum of 15 guests per year. So you better ask your member friend to get you out before he/she uses all the guest spots.

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    ThoTho...

Just put al that school work you do to use and become a millionaire. I'll be glad to join you at whatever private course you chose
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

"Richard"
    most actuarial consultants are millionaires so looks like I'm well on my way but we'll see. You never know, life has been known to throw you curve balls. As soon as I can afford it, I'm giong to get a membership somewhere. I'll probably start off with a place like glen mar, and work my way up. Wouldn't want to become a member at a private course until 1) I can afford it and 2) until I can put up some impressive scores

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I have heard that if you are a member of a private course, you can often play other private courses that are out-of-town without knowing a member there. The process involves having your course's pro contact the other course's pro. Example: you're a member at Ottawa Hunt, and you'd like to play St. George's in Toronto when you're in town. Your pro at Ottawa Hunt can set it up for you.

Does anyone know if this is generally true, or just an urban myth?
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Same with the Royal Ottawa, you get benefits at the Royal Montreal and alot of courses in Europe and Austalia. Golfbum as for Hunt Club i played it twice last year with a member i paid 40 bucks and he said it cost 105$

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I have heard that if you are a member of a private course, you can often play other private courses that are out-of-town without knowing a member there. The process involves having your course's pro contact the other course's pro. Example: you're a member at Ottawa Hunt, and you'd like to play St. George's in Toronto when you're in town. Your pro at Ottawa Hunt can set it up for you.

Lots of private courses have "sister" courses elsewhere in the country, and sometimes out-of-country as well.

The only one I can think of right now is if you're a member at Royal Ottawa, you can play on the other Royal courses in Canada...Royal Quebec, Royal Colwood in Victoria, etc.

powerdriver
    You guys are hilarious! Last time i checked i was allowed to voice my own opinion. But no, you guys need to turn it into a slug fest and start insulting me for the those opinions i express!

I have played Royal. It is overrated. It is not worth $50. Thankfully i was invited and didn't have to pay. I would be outraged if I did. It is truly a course built for senior citizens!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

It's true, and in fact is often easier than what you have described. My father is a member at Rideaview and was able to get on a private course in Victoria (can't remember the name) without being with a member. The pro shop only asked if he was a member at a private club, and which one. Not sure if they contacted Rideauview to verify, but when he arrived they didn't ask for a handicap card or to see a bag tag or anything.
    If you've got the nads you might give this method a try...but it could backfire if you aren't really a member at a private course.

You guys are hilarious! Last time i checked i was allowed to voice my own opinion. But no, you guys need to turn it into a slug fest and start insulting me for the those opinions i express!

I have played Royal. It is overrated. It is not worth $50. Thankfully i was invited and didn't have to pay. I would be outraged if I did. It is truly a course built for senior citizens!
    OK, i will ask you a serious question...is it a course built for senior citizens strictly because of its length, or do you think that way for other reasons as well?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

The course I was a member at had several reciprocal agreements including, Camelot, Hunt Club, Royal Montreal, Rivermead... I guess it really depends on the Pro at each club and how well they are known.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

you guys need to turn it into a slug fest and start insulting me for the those opinions i express!
    I'll regale you with some of your own unintelligible posts and maybe you'll figure out why...

I have played Royal. It is not worth $50. Thankfully i was invited and didn't have to pay. I would be outraged if I did. It is truly a course built for senior citizens!
    Not worth $50? Built for seniors?

your post was too long. i stopped reading at the second line. You put too much effort into it. try and make it shorter next time!
    This one speaks for itself...

[quote=powerdriver]A bunch of tightly wound men on this board![quote]

How do you know which members are men, and really, who cares?

Give me a break. This guy needs to move on and stop taking a valuable spot. A spot that could be given to a real contender..
    You made this statement about Duval at the same time you are saying Michelle Wie is a contender - give ME a break.

This guy is a waste. What is he, plus 10 or more? I could shoot better than this joke.
    Only if you played Royal Ottawa - you know, the course built for seniors.

Further to that.... Time to upgrade your mode of thinking. You are stuck in the 1930's bud. I figured you for a 60 year old, but it says you are 31...
    I think you are up for a rude awakening...
    and this one too:

[quote=powerdriver] Bunch of sour old men in here! GIve it a break.[quote]

Your posts are childish and insulting, and add no value to any of these threads - the great irony is you are the one whining about being insulted.
    Hope that helped to clear things up for you..

Thread Information