+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Glen Abbey conditions

Planning on hitting Oakville April 28th. Just wondering if I just be wary of anything, i.e. temporary greens, winter kill...etc,

Thanks
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Saint, I'll try to get some info for you in the next couple of days.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Planning on hitting Oakville April 28th. Just wondering if I just be wary of anything, i.e. temporary greens, winter kill...etc,

Thanks
    Pretty sure they'll be closed. When I lived in Burlington about 6 years ago, their season always ran from May 1st to October 31st.

EDIT: Found this on the ClubLink site:

Glen Abbey Prime:
    May 29 until October 6 inclusive.
    Monday to Friday all day.
    Saturdays, Sundays and holidays opening until 1:00 pm.

Glen Abbey Regular:
    From May 1until May 28 inclusive.
    October 9 until season closing.
    Saturdays, Sundays and holidays after 1:00 pm.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Sand Wedge pir2 is on a distinguished road
    Glen Abbey should actually be open.... according to their "planned" opening dates:
    http://www.clublink.ca/opening2006.html
    As for conditions, no clue unless someone checks...

Interesting find, pir2. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

When I lived in Burlington, Glen Abbey was owned by the RCGA. Nobody would have to ask about course conditions back then...
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road
    Save your money and your time and find somewhere else to play.Played there last year and i will never go back there again! Way over priced andthe course condiditions were terrible!!

Is there another course in Oakville worth playing?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

There are several courses around the Oakville area it just depends on how far you want to drive to go and play them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Is there another course in Oakville worth playing?
    Since you were considering Glen Abbey, I'm guessing that the price is irrelevant.

Angus Glen and Lionhead are not too far away in Brampton. Angus Glen is hosting the Canadian Open this year, and they have two courses. I haven't played them personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Rattlesnake Point is a high-end ClubLink course in Oakville, if you know somebody...

Angus is in Markham...good track to play for sure. They are only going to have the South course open until around June or so. They have done som major renovations to the North course for The Canadian Open next year. Angus will be open for the year on the 13th af april.

Quote Originally Posted by chad
    Angus is in Markham...good track to play for sure. They are only going to have the South course open until around June or so. They have done som major renovations to the North course for The Canadian Open next year. Angus will be open for the year on the 13th af april.
    Oops, right - had a brain cramp there!

I've heard good things about Osprey Valley too. A little farther up the 410 north of Brampton, isn't it?

There's a muni in Hamilton called King's Forest which a lot of people seem to like too. Maybe 20-30 minutes from Oakville along the QEW.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Saint, just got an email reply from my buddy. He said there will be 4 temp greens until probably Juneish. If you want more info drop me a pm.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Saint,

The Abbey has 5 temps until mid May. 1,4 7, 11 & 12.

11 is a complete redesign! I went down to look at it when I was there for a captains meeting a couple of weeks ago. It is looking real good.

If you are looking for a game, I may be able to get out early on the 28th say Rattle Snake or Glencarin. We'll do the Abbey next trip! I have a show to work on the weekend.

Send me a PM to discuss.

Jim

Same trek as last year. We're (wife and I) picking up our son at Sheridan College in Oakville and spending Friday night. We would most likely look to play on Saturday (weather permitting). If you're up for joining us that would be fantastic. Looks like it will be Rattlesnake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf
    Saint,

The Abbey has 5 temps until mid May. 1,4 7, 11 & 12.

11 is a complete redesign! I went down to look at it when I was there for a captains meeting a couple of weeks ago. It is looking real good.

If you are looking for a game, I may be able to get out early on the 28th say Rattle Snake or Glencarin. We'll do the Abbey next trip! I have a show to work on the weekend.

Send me a PM to discuss.

Jim

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Thanks but, can't make it I am afraid.

I have a trade show to work with one of my Non Golf Customers.

Jim

Sand Wedge GrassRootsTour is on a distinguished road GrassRootsTour's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chad
    Save your money and your time and find somewhere else to play.Played there last year and i will never go back there again! Way over priced andthe course condiditions were terrible!!

I agree totally. GA will never see me again. My local muny was in way better shape and frankly .... the layout is unimpressive anyway.

Personally, I'd go to Hidden Lake (they host the Canadian Open qualifier every year) and play the old course.
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    If Club Link lets Ryan do his thing at the Abbey it will improve. He always had Union in great shape. It's all about money, if the Super is allowed to spend it and uses it wisely then the course will be in great condition.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Sand Wedge kontesto is on a distinguished road
    South at Angus is looking great. Saw it on Friday when I was at the course picking up some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kontesto
    South at Angus is looking great. Saw it on Friday when I was at the course picking up some stuff
    I played Angus last Thursday and it is in amazing shape as it always is. Definately worth playing...the green fee right now is $120 anytime. I would take advantege of this before the rate goes back up to $188.85!!

Way better golf course then Glen Abbey!!!!!!

7 Iron jayda is on a distinguished road jayda's Avatar
    PLayed at Woodington Lake yesterday - the setup is similar to Angus South but at a much lower sprint rate ($65). Course condition is great also!

Thread Information