100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Just played nine at Champlain after work and i don't think i'll be going back for a very long time. Almost three hours for nine holes is absolutely ridiculous at any time of day, i don't understand how people can play so slow! Sorry had to rant. Conditions wise it is in crappy shape, the greens are like mush and alot of them are wet and very sandy. Fairways are patchy and very muddy. D-

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Despite Johns comments I booked in for Champlain last night and had mixed emotions. On one hand it was in the best condition I've ever played champlain in. On the other hand, it was in the second worse condition of the 10 or 11 courses I've played this year. Greens were spongy, which I thought was weird. I drank enough water yesterday to make a Camel feel bloated and I was still dehydrated, I'm not exactly sure how the greens were taking footprints so deep.

For that course, I would consider the fairways to be filled in, but they are quite thin, and I don't know how anyone could play the ball down there.

Managed to get finish the 18 at dusk in just over 3 hrs. Like John, I doubt I'll be going back unless I have the itch to play one evening and its the only thing left at Corporate Golf.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I played last night aswell. Was disappointed with the greens, and could not putt to save my live, recorded my highest putting stat of teh year with 37 !

The thing that really got me goign was the 35$ 'twilight' !!! I guess I should have called and asked, but since they charge 38 for prime time, I was expecting more than 3$ discount for a 4:48 tee time.

I also have no intentions of going back
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    I played last night aswell. Was disappointed with the greens, and could not putt to save my live, recorded my highest putting stat of teh year with 37 !

The thing that really got me goign was the 35$ 'twilight' !!! I guess I should have called and asked, but since they charge 38 for prime time, I was expecting more than 3$ discount for a 4:48 tee time.

I also have no intentions of going back
    Nat, I think you were playing ahead of me on 17 & 18. I was gonna ask, but going up to someone and saying "Hey, are you Nat from the internet?" and being wrong, just seems a little creepy to me.

I'll agree with you the greens were not very good, but I did make alot of putts last night which is weird for me. Just got lucky I think. One of them actually hopped in from about 5 inches.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    in retrospect the beer cart might have had something to do with my lack of putting ability ... luckily it didn't hurt the long irons on those last couple holes.

Did you catch up to a single around the 17th hole and play up with him for the last few? I was thinking he same thing after seeing your post about finishing in 3h.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Played Upper Canada monday and I must say that the course is mint..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    Played Tecumseh on Monday, the rough was long, too long, we were losing ball that went 2 feet off the fairway since the rough was so long, fairway were in very good shape, greens were slow but in great condition. Course ain't that far, from McDonald Cartier bridge, it's 10 minutes to get there.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Played Cloverdale last night. Greens were aerated and unputtable. A little warning from the pro-shop would have been nice. I doubt I will be back there anytime soon.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Played Arnprior today--still punching greens and real slow in their grass cutting--you would hope by this time the conditions would be better

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar

Question

Is it just me or is the condition of some courses behind where they should be this time of year?

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    I think that is a fair statement Larry, but the most problems I am seeing are the rough being too long where they had localized rain and had to wait to long before cutting it. There sure seems to be an excess of grass cuttings and longer than normal grass on several courses I have played over the past few weeks.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    You're right zoic. Just a by-product of the recent weather. Some courses do catch their clippings while cutting so they might appear to be in better shape. But for the ones that don't, like my course, no big deal. Grass comes flying off when you hit the ball.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

5 Iron Rick is on a distinguished road

Emerald Links

Played saturday. Is in great shape, some standing water from all the rain and greens were a litle slow by their standards but I think that was water related too. once it dries a bit, it will be perfect.

Metcalfe

Just finished up the 18 at metcalfe. The fairways are underwater. The new greens are good but the old ones are terrible.

Wow Wow

Just played Nations---unbeleivable shape

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Emerald Links

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Played saturday. Is in great shape, some standing water from all the rain and greens were a litle slow by their standards but I think that was water related too. once it dries a bit, it will be perfect.
    I played there once last year and wasn't impressed. The fairways didn't have consistent grass, although the greens were pretty decent if I remember correctly. I'm going to try it this year later this week. Should be dry by then.

Loch March

Played Monday at Loch March. Some fairways are soggy but I guess everywhere is. The greens, however, were fantastic! Fast and smooth as glass.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Champlain

From recent posts last week it seems this course is still not up to par with other courses. I have a time booked for next wednesday and I ask anyone who played in the last couple of days to post if I should go elswhere.

Thanks
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

course conditions

Been playing Champlain for over 20 years,nothing has changed fairways not good, greens not good , very slow rounds if you dont play early morning, no marshalls around,
    need i say more.But its one of the first ones to open and last to close and John makes some of the best hot dogs on the back nine.If someone who cares with lots of money would take it over and invest a few million dollars it would be one of the best courses around.Beautiffull trees,great layout,not far, too bad

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Le Sorcier, I'm surprised to say, had shaggy greens for the front nine. Too bad, the only reason I'd pay $60 is for good green conditions (even tho I love the layout).

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks Marcos, I will play elsewhere.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar

Oaks of Cobden

Played Oaks of Cobden last week, course is in great and beautiful shape. Greens in excellent condition except for a couple on back nine. Beautiful course.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    Been playing Champlain for over 20 years,nothing has changed fairways not good, greens not good , very slow rounds if you dont play early morning, no marshalls around,
    need i say more.But its one of the first ones to open and last to close and John makes some of the best hot dogs on the back nine.If someone who cares with lots of money would take it over and invest a few million dollars it would be one of the best courses around.Beautiffull trees,great layout,not far, too bad

Heads up:
    We had the 'dogs about 3 weeks ago & mine was stone-cold in the middle. I got him to slice it in half & do a little more grilling.
    1/2 way down the 12th fairway, my buddy vomitted up his.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Heads up:
    We had the 'dogs about 3 weeks ago & mine was stone-cold in the middle. I got him to slice it in half & do a little more grilling.
    1/2 way down the 12th fairway, my buddy vomitted up his.
    Must have been a bad day. I've been playing there since 1982 and have eaten them as long as I can remember without having issues like that!!!

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Played there twice this year and John wasn't there either time. Maybe he's not there this year.
    Last edited by larry; 06-19-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Played Casselview on Saturday, course is in good shape and the greens are great. Anrprior on Sunday and can't say i was impressed with the conditions, fairways were shaggy, greens were bumpy, slow and sandy and the round took five hours with multiple three group tees. Very sad.

Falconridge

Played the 18 today--first time in two years--could not believe the conditions could be so bad--the grass in my back yard is cut better than that! At this time of the year you would think courses would be in a little better shape--is it just me or is this "par for this course?"--excuse the pun I have played over 20 different courses this year and Falconridge was the worst--any thoughts

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    From what I have seen from this year to last, or even the start to now.... the conditions have been getting worse there and not better. It is hard for me to find an even spot on the tee boxes. When I approached one of the workers there, if they were ever going to get them leveled out, he said we have more important things to take care of! Which I believe it is true. I have switched my "home" course to Hammond, which has been in great shape this year so far!!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    On another note played Outaouais this past weekend and the conditions are excellent! The course is well kept, although the greens on the west are not consistent, some fast and some slow, the east is rolling well!!!

Must play if you haven't yet!

Played Outaouais quite a bit this year and its great--Casselview.Renfrew, Nations Mont Pellier,Canadian all in excellent shape---and Hammond---I think is the greatest bang for your buck at 20.00---a little slow getting started in the Spring but once its up and dry---no problems

Thread Information