100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Ideal Setup for Walking the Course?

When you are using a cart you can enjoy luxuries of a massive staff bag with everything including the kitchen sink in it. When you to carry your clubs it a slightly different story; bags aside has anyone here ever put and thought into the ultimate club selection for the walker?

I really do not need 14 clubs in my bag and I'm just curious what the forums thoughts are on the ultimate setup for someoneone who is walking and doesn't want to kill themselves!
    Thanks,

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I carry and I tend to carry 13 or 14 clubs. I try to save weight by cutting down on the balls. I've golfed with guys who have 3-4 dozen balls in their bag and use 3 all day. I don't suggest cutting down clubs because you never know where your ball could end up and what club you might use to get it out of trouble and into the short stuff
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Valid point; now that you mention it I'm pretty sure I have alteast 20 balls in my bag.

I was thinking of maybe taking out the driver for a while; a 5 wood or maybe some low irons but I never thought of the balls I'll have to test it when I get home b/c as of now my bag is unbearable. lol

4 Iron snaphooker is on a distinguished road
    I carry 14 clubs, about 8-9 balls, an extra glove, a few tees and a bottle of water. I have room for a sweater if I need it in the bag, but rarely do I put one in. I have a light bag (3.5 pounds) and the weight is not a problem. Also consider carrying your last or next club in your hand when walking, you can feel the difference.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I walk almost every round and I still carry 14 clubs. I carry less balls, usually 6 and just less crap that you usually don't need. Put your sun screen on at the car, leave the umbrella in the trunk if its sunny, don't carry 4 litres of water. Just stuff like that. The most important thing about walking is having an amazing pair of shoes with great insoles and a carry bag that has a strap that fits and allows the weight of the clubs to be spread out evenly. That's it.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    I carry a short bag, usually.

Driver
    4-wood
    6,7,8,9I
    W, GW, Sometimes SW
    Putter

Since I'm a short hitter, I don't need long irons for hitting par 5's, I usually don't reach them. At my course, I generally don't need anything longer than a 7I on the par 3's, sometimes I'll need a 6 into the wind. I play most of my chip, pitch and flop shots with a GW. Lemme tell you, taking just 3, 4 or 5 clubs out of the bag makes a huge difference.

If I'm playing anything serious, though, I'll bring the rest of them.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

"Richard"
    ahaha, if I'm playing a serious game I leave the Lob, 3 and 4 at home cause I play better without them (last year)

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I normally carry 13 clubs in my bag, 10 balls and some tees. Under than that I try to keep at a minimum. If you have a good bag with dual straps and its setup properly carrying a few extra necessities doesn't really make it that painful either.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I walk and carry.
    Driver, 4 wood, 3-PW, GW, SW, Putter (3 wood, depending on the course or conditions)
    6-8 balls, (If you need more than 8 balls for 18 holes you are in deeeeeeeeeeeeep trouble )
    tees spare golf. no umbrella. Why carry it if there is no threat of rain?
    one or two bottles of water.
    I sometimes use my Titleist Sunday bag when it is hot and dry, otherwise everything is in a TM Stand bag.
    Easy Money.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    3 Wood
    2iron,4,6,8,pw,56*, putter

8 clubs ma friend, s'all ya need...

but it also depends on what course your playing.. the longer the course you might wanna put driver in, if its a short course just use 3 wood or even 2-iron/5 wood. just dont forget to bring the putter ive forgotten it more than once when messin around with the clubs deciding what to bring...

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I always carry my bag at the Dôme and it’s a hard course to walk. I carry 14 clubs, 6 balls, tees and a water bottle.

It also helps if you are in shape. I jog 3-4 times a week.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Stand bag management tactics can also vary according to the type of round you're having:

If you're having a bad round:
    1) Your stand bag will just naturally get lighter as the round goes on. Something do to with hitting 7 provisionals on that par 5 with water on the right, I think. So relax, by the end of round your bag will much lighter just when you're starting to get tired!
    2) Usually there is that ONE club that is misbehaving particularly badly, and needs some "tough love". Why not teach that lob wedge a lesson and drown it in the nearest pond? It'll still be there next week if you want to give it another chance!
    3) Graphite shafts have revolutionized the game. For example, you can now lighten the load by snapping a club over your knee without needing a paramedic. Obviously that shaft wasn't right for you anyway, so why not get rid of it now? Your back will thank you for it.

If you're having a good round:
    1) You'll be done 1/2 hour earlier. Stop whining.
    2) And what do you need all those golf balls for? You've been using the same one for 3 weeks, for christsakes! Why not donate the rest to needy hackers at the clubhouse turn? You can always find more in the woods if you need them.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    When you are using a cart you can enjoy luxuries of a massive staff bag with everything including the kitchen sink in it. When you to carry your clubs it a slightly different story; bags aside has anyone here ever put and thought into the ultimate club selection for the walker?

I really do not need 14 clubs in my bag and I'm just curious what the forums thoughts are on the ultimate setup for someoneone who is walking and doesn't want to kill themselves!
    Thanks,
    If you can't carry a bag with 14 clubs and you dont' have any major health conditions. Then the trick is to get off the couch and excercise.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    If you can't carry a bag with 14 clubs and you dont' have any major health conditions. Then the trick is to get off the couch and excercise.
    You beat me to it !

Also, I can't believe anyone thinks that taking a few clubs out makes a huge difference.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Stand bag management tactics can also vary according to the type of round you're having:

If you're having a bad round:
    1) Your stand bag will just naturally get lighter as the round goes on. Something do to with hitting 7 provisionals on that par 5 with water on the right, I think. So relax, by the end of round your bag will much lighter just when you're starting to get tired!
    2) Usually there is that ONE club that is misbehaving particularly badly, and needs some "tough love". Why not teach that lob wedge a lesson and drown it in the nearest pond? It'll still be there next week if you want to give it another chance!
    3) Graphite shafts have revolutionized the game. For example, you can now lighten the load by snapping a club over your knee without needing a paramedic. Obviously that shaft wasn't right for you anyway, so why not get rid of it now? Your back will thank you for it.

If you're having a good round:
    1) You'll be done 1/2 hour earlier. Stop whining.
    2) And what do you need all those golf balls for? You've been using the same one for 3 weeks, for christsakes! Why not donate the rest to needy hackers at the clubhouse turn? You can always find more in the woods if you need them.
    Niiiiice!!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    Also, I can't believe anyone thinks that taking a few clubs out makes a huge difference.
    Probably not, but then you're not me. If I were 6' tall and 195, I probably couldn't tell the difference, but I'm 5'7, maybe 150lbs, so it's a bit more material for me. Taking out 5 clubs reduces the weight by about 1/4 to 1/3. It basically means that I have less stress and tension by the time I get to 18, and I still have some touch left.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    Probably not, but then you're not me. If I were 6' tall and 195, I probably couldn't tell the difference, but I'm 5'7, maybe 150lbs, so it's a bit more material for me. Taking out 5 clubs reduces the weight by about 1/4 to 1/3. It basically means that I have less stress and tension by the time I get to 18, and I still have some touch left.
    You might have some touch left, but odds are with 4 or 5 fewer clubs, you're gonna need one that you don't have...

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    I would take something like putter,driver,3w,4i,6i,7i,8i,9i,pw and whatever other wedges you use

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Balls are the key - take only what you need. I'll be playing playing 36 hole marathon day at Olympic View and Cordova Bay before I head back to Ottawa, and as long as I lighten the load, it shouldn't be a problem. One or two clubs won't make a big difference, and more than that would destroy my game. The other key, obviously, is a nice light bag (something I'll have to pick up when I get back to Ottawa.

8 Iron Fozz is on a distinguished road Fozz's Avatar
    I think the bag is the key. There's some amazingly light carry bags on the market now and that's where the bulk of the weight is. Also, if it's nice and sunny, don't forget to remove the rain gear... You won't need them.

odds are with 4 or 5 fewer clubs, you're gonna need one that you don't have...
    ...except that I do it all the time, and that's why I know I can do without them.

...have you ever kept track of how many times you use each club during a round? Maybe you'd be surprised to find out how many clubs you can do without.

I'd bet that most guys would find out that some clubs only get used a couple of times in a month. In fact, since you hardly ever use them, I suspect that your scores would be better if you used a club you're more proficient with. YMMV.

[/color]

"Richard"
    I just bought a dartek carry bag, its 3 lbs. I only carry 11 clubs right now and 3 balls. I dont' have much trouble off the tee so lose very few balls and usually if i'm running short I can borrow or find a few balls if I really look for it. I don't use tees either. I have one brush tee, thats it. On iron shots I just pick up a broke tee and same for fairway woods off the tee since I don't tee them up to high. I carry 3 bottles of water and ice to keep the bag cold. I find it so much easier than pulling or pushing my clubs. I can't imagine my entire beag being more than 15 lbs even if I start carry 14 clubs. by the 18th hole I'm really starting to feel it though. But its a good feeling

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    ...except that I do it all the time, and that's why I know I can do without them.

...have you ever kept track of how many times you use each club during a round? Maybe you'd be surprised to find out how many clubs you can do without.

I'd bet that most guys would find out that some clubs only get used a couple of times in a month. In fact, since you hardly ever use them, I suspect that your scores would be better if you used a club you're more proficient with. YMMV.
    Hmmmmmmm, I have played 4 rounds since last Thursday, and I have had to use every club in my bag. On the course I play, you need em all The wind blows hard there, one day I will need a 3 iron on an uphill Par 3, 186 yds, the next day I might hit a 6 iron there. It all depends on the type of course you play whether you need all your irons.

I see no need to take irons out of my bag to lighten the load. If your clubs/bag are that heavy then use a cart. Or if you have a bad back, or leg etc, use a cart. No shame in using a pull cart to haul your sticks around. Why handicap yourself by taking clubs out of your bag? Makes no sense to me.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Horrible logic. You shouldn't have a "favorite" club. MAYBE for basic chips and pitches, but even then you need a variety of shots. Every club should feel the same, especially irons and wedges. If they don't you need to figure out a way to make them feel the same...otherwise you are starting your rounds at a disadvantage.

Horrible logic. You shouldn't have a "favorite" club. MAYBE for basic chips and pitches, but even then you need a variety of shots. Every club should feel the same, especially irons and wedges. If they don't you need to figure out a way to make them feel the same...otherwise you are starting your rounds at a disadvantage.
    No it isn’t. A good golf MUST have a go to club in the bag. This club will give you your confidence back when on a bad string.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    No it isn’t. A good golf MUST have a go to club in the bag. This club will give you your confidence back when on a bad string.
    So if you have 195 to the hole, just hit your trusty 8-iron? Good luck...

So if you have 195 to the hole, just hit your trusty 8-iron? Good luck...
    So if you have 195 to the hole and you are unable to hit your 3-4-5 irons that day, what do you do? I would rather hit 8 iron, wedge and take my chance at a one put the hit 4I 15yards in the woods. Golf is about creativity. If a particular distance is one club and that club only, you are at a disadvantage.

Yeah I can vary my distances depending on swing speed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    So if you have 195 to the hole and you are unable to hit your 3-4-5 irons that day, what do you do? I would rather hit 8 iron, wedge and take my chance at a one put the hit 4I 15yards in the woods. Golf is about creativity. If a particular distance is one club and that club only, you are at a disadvantage.
    If you, as you say, "are unable to hit your 3-4-5 irons that day", then really you should be unable to hit all of your irons. Your swing doesn't change between your 5 iron and your 8 iron. You just have to believe in yourself, don't cave in...

You are right, golf is about creativity...but it's also about belief and trust in oneself and what you are working on...if you are standing in the middle of the fairway, 195 from the hole, and you decide to hit 8 iron and then wedge? I want to be on the other side of that bet !!!!

If you, as you say, "are unable to hit your 3-4-5 irons that day", then really you should be unable to hit all of your irons. Your swing doesn't change between your 5 iron and your 8 iron. You just have to believe in yourself, don't cave in...

You are right, golf is about creativity...but it's also about belief and trust in oneself and what you are working on...if you are standing in the middle of the fairway, 195 from the hole, and you decide to hit 8 iron and then wedge? I want to be on the other side of that bet !!!!
    You must be an unbelievable player. You play sub par rounds every given day?

Are you honestly telling me that you can hit you driver as precise as your wedge? Even better, you hit your 3 iron as good as your 8 iron? The longer the shaft the more amplified the error.

The fact is that no mater the skill level, confidence is a must and even Tour Pros get shaken. Even Tiger had his go to club stigner 4i in his prime.

Thread Information