CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #3 at Augusta.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

#3 at Augusta.

It's actually #4
    With 13 holes being lenghtened in the last 5 years at Augusta, there's an article making it's way online and it's talking about #3 at Augusta being one of the holes players are shaking there heads at. A par 3 measuring get this about 245yds. The pros are using hybrids and 3 woods into this hole. This weekend should be great viewing, I say it will be the toughest hole come Sunday.
    Last edited by fireice; 04-04-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If there's one tournament that shows how important it is to take technology back a few steps, its the Masters. Its getting ridiculous. One of the toughest courses on the planet, and they have to keep lengthening it to keep it challenging. Its a shame, too, because so many great players are being taken right out of contention based on length. Augusta is a shotmaker's course, and they're taking shotmakers out of contention right off the bat. It's a crying shame. Persimmon woods for everyone!!!

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more. I think it's a crying shame what they have done to Augusta National and the Masters. Keep adding more and more length until poor Fred Funk has to hit driver on the Par 3 4th. I guess it would make too much sense to narrow the fairways 290-310 out and/or throw in a few more strategically place fairway bunkers. Or grow the rough up just a bit to make the bomber who is spraying it all over the map think twice about hitting the big stick.

What's interesting is to read all the articles being written about the changes, and the comments from the players themselves. I must have read at least 6 or 7 different articles, essays, etc. on various websites and not one player, including the 5 or 6 that the changes benefit, said that they like the changes. Of course, no one will come out and say anything negative either (although there are quite a few vague, politically correct comments). Heaven forbid anyone criticize the decisions of the Augusta "good ole boys". Any player who does that probably would not get invited back to play ever again!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I wonder how long it will be till they put the first tee on the roof of the clubhouse.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    I never unerstood the lengthening of courses to counter the advances in technology. Why don't they just put limits on the balls. If a ball travels more than x yards, its illegal (if they do it already then lower "X"). Simple. Do you realize how much money has been wasted by courses "tiger poofing"? I'm sure the ball making companies wouldn't be to happy about this but if everyone HAD to do it, their sales wouldn't go down (much). I know its been suggested before. Is there a good reason not to do this? THe long hitters would still be the long hitters, the gap would shrink just a little but they would still have an advantage over the shorter hitters (depends on how you look at it). Anyway, just a thought.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireice
    It's actually #4
    ... This weekend should be great viewing, I say it will be the toughest hole come Sunday.
    So far, it is 9th - but may get harder on the weekend.

For those interested ...

http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/masters/coursestats

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    If there's one tournament that shows how important it is to take technology back a few steps, its the Masters. Its getting ridiculous. One of the toughest courses on the planet, and they have to keep lengthening it to keep it challenging. Its a shame, too, because so many great players are being taken right out of contention based on length. Augusta is a shotmaker's course, and they're taking shotmakers out of contention right off the bat. It's a crying shame. Persimmon woods for everyone!!!
    It was interesting to hear Hootie's response to a question during his press conf. He was asked what Augusta would look like in 10 years. He thought for about 30 seconds and said ' Heck, I am not sure what it is going to look like next year let alone 10 years down the road'
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It's a golf course not a website. It should not need to be tweaked every day!

"Richard"
    I read a lot of articles on the "national" and its interesting because the pros now are hitting what the pros did 30 years ago which to me does sound good. Also, If driving and irons are up 35 and 15 yards in the last 20 years... the yardage increases with the courses still don't make up the difference in yardage gained by players.

I'm not sure about the numbers and made them up but they might be close.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I read a lot of articles on the "national" and its interesting because the pros now are hitting what the pros did 30 years ago which to me does sound good. Also, If driving and irons are up 35 and 15 yards in the last 20 years... the yardage increases with the courses still don't make up the difference in yardage gained by players.

I'm not sure about the numbers and made them up but they might be close.
    I know it's been mentioned b4, but I can't remember if it has been mentioned on OttawaGolf yet, so I'll post it:

Club lofts have been decreasing voer the years, so if player X was supposed to take a 6i into a green in 1960, and in 2006, you want to extend the course so that player Y still has to take a 6 iron in, they are using 2 completly different lofts...player Y is using anything from a 4 to 5 iron from player X's days. This affects ball flight, and can make sticking greens very tricky (especially elevated greens, which is one of the big complains this year)
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

powerdriver
    Le Maitre has a par 3 that plays, I believe, around 245 from the tips. It is uphill and a very large pot bunker in front. Impossible to hit! We take drivers out everytime we visit... lots of fun though...

Sand Wedge TelUrMomISayThx is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Why don't they just put limits on the balls. If a ball travels more than x yards, its illegal (if they do it already then lower "X"). Simple.
    You are kidding me right? Say X is 300. So you think it would be okay for Fred Funk to use this ball and not Bubba Watson? I suppose you think it's appropriate for Havlat to skate with a parachute on his back because he's faster than everyone else? Or Vince Carter should wear weighted shoes so that he doesn't jump as high? These are all talents; not reasons to be handicaped.

Whether you like it or not, distance is part of the game. Yes, a 250 yard par 3 is a tough hole. But these guys are pros and this is a major. The course is meant to be tough.

I will leave you with this quote from Mediate in today's paper. "I don't understand the complaining about Tiger's hitting a 7 iron and I'm hitting a 4 iron. He's a million times stronger than me and hits it 50 yards further. What's wrong with that?"..."And if you don't like it, don't come. It's whoever shoots a low score, I don't care how you shoot it."

If "Iron Byron" hits it 300 Bubba may hit it 300+ and Corey may only get 265.

Hitting balls 375+ destroys the integrity and character of golf courses. Back the ball up.

You're right, technology is a big reason for the distance people are hitting today. But what will that do? If it has to be backed up for 1 person, it has to be backed up for everyone. This is going to change nothing. Bubba will still hit it further, and Funk will still have to use driver/3wd on Augusta's #4.

Seems like everyone is ignoring the fact that the younger players are stronger and hit it further. In terms of distance, these guys have more talent. Plain and simple. Why should individuals, such as Hank and Bubba, be held accountable? If Funk doesn't like it, then he will enjoy his time on the Champions tour. Like rocco said, "If you don't like it, don't come".

Don't complain you didn't win a tournament just because my ball will crap on yours as it flies over.

If you read my post I am endorsing a limit to ball distance for the consistent swing of a robot. From there let the muscle boys with their .083 cof drivers hammer away.

I am not opposed to a long ball, but let's face it, it's better to limit the ball than to mess with the courses. It just makes more sense.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I think you miss the point. They wouldn't lose the advantage they have, everyone's driving stats would come down by the same percentage. So Tiger will still outdrive Funk by 50 yards, but instead of a 350 yard drive, it'll be a 300 yard drive, and Funk will drive 250 instead of 300. That way courses won't have to change.

Quote Originally Posted by TelUrMomISayThx
    You're right, technology is a big reason for the distance people are hitting today. But what will that do? If it has to be backed up for 1 person, it has to be backed up for everyone. This is going to change nothing. Bubba will still hit it further, and Funk will still have to use driver/3wd on Augusta's #4.

Seems like everyone is ignoring the fact that the younger players are stronger and hit it further. In terms of distance, these guys have more talent. Plain and simple. Why should individuals, such as Hank and Bubba, be held accountable? If Funk doesn't like it, then he will enjoy his time on the Champions tour. Like rocco said, "If you don't like it, don't come".

Don't complain you didn't win a tournament just because my ball will crap on yours as it flies over.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TelUrMomISayThx
    Bubba will still hit it further, and Funk will still have to use driver/3wd on Augusta's #4.
    Exactly, so what's the problem with backing the ball up? Everyone will be shorter but the long hitters will still be the long hitters. Nobody wants to take away anyone's natural physical ability. It's the courses that need to be protected not the Funks and Verplanks.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Wow, I just saw how bad my math was in my post... Thotho must be going nuts. I realize that 350 to 300 and 300 to 250 is not the same percentage. But you know what I mean.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Sure, that's one way to make the courses tougher. There is no doubt that technology has changed the game. But who said it's a bad thing?

I think that, like alot of things in life, progression, change, evolution - whatever you want to call it - is a good thing. I think the popularity of golf has benefited from the improvements in technology. And as talented as Bubba or Tiger is, technology has helped make them look this good. If i was in a PGA gallery, I wouldn't be very impressed with a 275 yard drive, even if he is using a flighted ball. People want to see the 350+ drives.

Without change, people become bored with the product. Change is a good thing. Just look at the new NHL. Yes there is a limit, but I don't think golf equipment has crossed that line yet.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Ii personally think golf is far LESS interesting now than it was even 5 or 6 years ago. Seeing the same guys bomb it out there 300 plus yards over and over is not particularly interesting to me. I'd much rather see the emphasis on skill and precision than on pounding the ball out there so far that, even if you're in the rough, you have a solid shot at getting it within 15 feet.

"Richard"
    Thotho thinks its rude to point out other peoples math mistakes..

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Wow, I just saw how bad my math was in my post... Thotho must be going nuts. I realize that 350 to 300 and 300 to 250 is not the same percentage. But you know what I mean.

Thread Information