+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron Go_Leafs_Go is on a distinguished road Go_Leafs_Go's Avatar

What is the diff. between Mens & Womens clubs?

Is there really that much of a difference between the 2 different kinds of clubs. The reason I ask is because the other half is looking to get into the sport and we can get plenty of mens clubs used but not so many womens sets.
    [B][U]In my Bag ???[/U][/B]
    What do you mean ???
    Are we supposed to use bags ???

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Lighter,shorter and more flexible shafts. Also smaller grips and smaller size shaft butts to accomodate smaller hands(no pun intended)
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I almost picked up a g2 on e-bay because it was dirt cheap.
    Womans g2,but the clubhead looked the same to me?
    I wasnt sure so i passed on it?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Leafs_Go
    Is there really that much of a difference between the 2 different kinds of clubs. The reason I ask is because the other half is looking to get into the sport and we can get plenty of mens clubs used but not so many womens sets.
    It seems that the "Ladies" clubs that are available are meant for 65 year old, non-athletic women, who have swing speeds in the 50 mph range.

Women should be fitted in the exact same manner that men are and should have a wide variety of head and shaft options available. But that is NOT where the money is so the companies make clubs that they think that women will like. Do women really like the pink shafts and the aqua grips?

If there is any one parameter that ought to be emphasized for women, and many men, too, is total weight. Most average golfers would play better with lighter clubs. Not just a lighter shaft weight, but a lighter head weight, for ladies in particular, as well. Ladies seem to be more tactile, if that's the right word, so grip size and grip texture especially, is more important than it might be for men.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Hey there, Mostly I agree with BC. The only way to find the right clubs is for her to see what she feels comfortable with and try them out. For her first clubs though she would probably do better with the light ladies flex, as to start out she likely won't have much of a swing speed, but within the year if she really takes to golf, she will want to change, so the cheapest the better to start with. I personally changed my set this year and I do have 'mens' clubs now. The hybrid mix sets are particularly easy to use I found. If she is particularly athletic, strong and, or tall. then she might prefer the mens set anyway. Although I know that lighter is supposed to be always better, I actually do better with a heavier club than the ladies. So all in all she really needs to try some out. I is hard though if she has never swung a club to get fitted with much accuracy, thats why I say the cheapest and easiest the better to start.

4Iron
    I too agree with Little Brit, on starting off with the lighter ladies clubs except I would get a decent set for her to start with. Nothing too cheap. Psychology is important. If you think your set is sub, your game will end up there! As BC says, Fitting is extremely important, I think especially even for a beginner, whether they are athletic, or not, a recreational player will always have the same basics.
    Personally, I have "mens" equipment, I am slightly shorter than average (oh, and heavier), but fairly athletic too. I was fitted, so my clubs are 1 inch shorter and 2 degrees flatter.
    Just my opinion tho'

3 Iron Go_Leafs_Go is on a distinguished road Go_Leafs_Go's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply's all. We went out yesterday to Sportcheck and picked up a beginers Ladies Hybrid set.
    [B][U]In my Bag ???[/U][/B]
    What do you mean ???
    Are we supposed to use bags ???

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Great, That's what I started with, I hope she really enjoys the game.

Thread Information