38 45.78%
  • Ten Finger/Baseball

12 14.46%
  • Other

1 1.20%
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

How do you grip the club?

I was just curious to see what kind of grip most people use. I used an interlocking grip until very recently when I switched to the ten finger/baseball style grip.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    I was just curious to see what kind of grip most people use. I used an interlocking grip until very recently when I switched to the ten finger/baseball style grip.
    Ah, the "Dave Barr" grip. How's that working for you?

I use the interlock (see my avatar). My fingers are too short to get comfortable with the Vardon. I've tried and it just won't work.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    I have big hands and use interlock. Didn't even notice until recently that I have instinctively switched from Vardon to interlock. Weird.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I used to interlock and started overlapping a long time ago because I thought that was the reason for my bad play. It was not the reason, but it is now the way I grip the club.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I was taught interlock as a kid, and it stuck, have never even tried another grip.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Interesting DYK. Steve Jones uses the reverse overlap (putter) grip when he's swinging because of previous injuries to his index and ring fingers on his left hand.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I use both hands and pray!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    switched to overlap after interlocking for several years. i find i'm gripping the club a lot lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I use both hands and pray!
    I guess that your prayers don't get answered much.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Ah, the "Dave Barr" grip. How's that working for you?
    Better so far, I found with the interlock I was both gripping it too tight and too much in my palms. I know there's a bit of a stigma against the ten finger, or at least there used to be, I was just curious to see if many others were using it.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Tommy "Two Gloves" from the BB4 uses that grip I believe.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    10 finger for me. Started out with interlock when I was a kid but later on this just felt right. I have small hands and i think that might be part of the reason. Note I do put with an interlock grip though.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    10 finger for me. Started out with interlock when I was a kid but later on this just felt right. I have small hands and i think that might be part of the reason. Note I do put with an interlock grip though.
    Interesting. I interlock but I use ten finger for putting.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    I use the 10 finger grip. It just felt natural to me when I first picked up a club. I've tried overlapping grip at the ramge but don't feel like I have control of the club when I use that grip. I also have small hands and fingers, so maybe that's a reson why I feel most comfortable with the baseball grip.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark
    Interesting. I interlock but I use ten finger for putting.
    I'm the opposite. I use the ten finger, but find interlock better for putting.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I am suprised at the number of interlock since generally most golfers use conventional vardon.
    I was playing a couple of yrs ago and frustrated. Suddenly thought just for fun of switching to hit a few interlock.
    Went well. Thought most don't play that way and was going to switch back until someone said "tiger and jack play that way". A minority I don't mind being a part of.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I was at the British Golf Museum in St. Andrews in 2003. There's a collection of statues called the "Master's Collection". They are detailed bronze castings of the actual grips of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Nick Faldo, Ernie Els, Nick Price, Greg Norman, Gary Player, Steve Elkington, John Daly and Seve Ballesteros, done by Tico Torres. Some of you may recognize the artist's name. He's the drummer for Bon Jovi. He's also an accomplished artist and a huge golf nut. He donated the statues in 2002. Very impressive.

6 Iron Bull147 is on a distinguished road
    I used a Vardon until late last season. I had a big slice with my woods, and a hook (?) with my irons by October, so in frustration, I switched back to a baseball grip. Like magic, the slice straightened out, and the hook became an on-demand draw. Given that I take a size 8 glove, this is not supposed to work, but it does!! My 4 trips to the range this spring have yielded similar results, so I guess I've found one that works (for now).

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I guess i've always used the 10 finger/ baseball grip , it works fine for me , i've tried the finger interlock but it seems so weird. I was told that the the only thing youv'e got to compensate for on the baseball grip is to roll your right wrist forwardand around on the club shaft so you don't push your shot out right , but hey , each to their own !

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Mmmm interesting, I find I switch it up somewhat. I have used all three at times and can change without any problem. I also have very small hands and was using first Vardon then interlock then 10 finger. Last time I went out I switched back to the interlock, it felt more secure.

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    I was a ten finger guy until 3 years ago and have since been interlocking. I think I am going try a few rounds this year with the overlap just for fun!
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    been ten finger for 10 years, gonna try and switch this year to interlock... sooo weird

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Overlap; I've heard from a few people that it's the purest and the others hav slight detractors liek w/ the baseball your hands are fighting themselves and it's harder to get a consistent feel. It is best to "grip and rip though"

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Light Vardon. Started with the interlock, but the instructor pointed to me that I was gripping much too tight with my front hand and too much in the palm with my left hand. He re-engineered my grip with a Vardon type. It is lighter and more comfortable. Still have a tendency to slice my driver, but it is more a question of swing plane consistency. After looking at a video, I tried ten-fingers, it reduced my slice but reduced my control on the short irons. Back to my trusty Vardon.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Light Vardon. Started with the interlock, but the instructor pointed to me that I was gripping much too tight with my front hand and too much in the palm with my left hand. He re-engineered my grip with a Vardon type. It is lighter and more comfortable. Still have a tendency to slice my driver, but it is more a question of swing plane consistency. After looking at a video, I tried ten-fingers, it reduced my slice but reduced my control on the short irons. Back to my trusty Vardon.
    I had a friend in Montreal who played different shots with different grips. He was a very good player. Whatever works I guess.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Lob Wedge BPW is on a distinguished road
    I have also used all 3 grips for years and change on a whim without a problem. Recently I injured my left hand and am now using a reverse overlap grip and it also works fine.........

Long as you swing within yourself any grip will do............ I also play to a single digit handicap............

8 Iron lovethatping is on a distinguished road
    overlap for my irons. 10 finger for woods and putter. interlock actually hurts.

Thread Information