CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

using unusual equipment on a practice swing

For those of you not familiar with the swing guide, its plastic piece you put on the bottom of your grip that keeps your swing on the right plain during your back swing, doesn't let your wrist cock to much so you don't go past parallel. Question is, on a practice swing are you allowed to use it? Then take it off and hit your actual shot? I've seen guys who seem to play by the rules use a weight on their driver before a swing and then take it off before they actually hit, so this wouldn't be much different. I did read the following rule but couldn't find anything dealing with the practice swing that dealt with artificial devices or unusual equipment

Also, since I'm playing tomorrow in Toronto, can I put my head cover behind me inline with the ball and hole to help me align my shot?

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
    (a) That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
    (b) For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
    (c) That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:
    (i) plain gloves may be worn;
    (ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and
    (iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Also, since I'm playing tomorrow in Toronto, can I put my head cover behind me inline with the ball and hole to help me align my shot?
    No
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

"Richard"
    rule number?

can i put my bag down behind me in line with the ball and hole? dont some caddies stand behind women on the lpga tour

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    rule number?

can i put my bag down behind me in line with the ball and hole? dont some caddies stand behind women on the lpga tour
    8-2 Indicating Line of Play
    a. Other Than on Putting Green
    Except on the putting green , a player may have the line of play indicated to him by anyone, but no one may be positioned by the player on or close to the line or an extension of the line beyond the hole while the stroke is being made. Any mark placed by the player or with his knowledge to indicate the line must be removed before the stroke is made.

"Richard"
    awesome, thanks gary. Don't know where I heard about the caddies standing behind the players for lining up shots. Maybe I made it up....

awesome, thanks gary. Don't know where I heard about the caddies standing behind the players for lining up shots. Maybe I made it up....
    Until a few years ago, the Rule was limited to the putting green.

Rule 14-2 Assistance
    In making a stroke,a player must not:
    (b) Allow his caddie, his partner or his partner’s caddie to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of play or the line of putt behind the ball.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    They still do it, especially on the LPGA tour I find, but they leave the tee box before the player makes their stroke.

The part I am talking about here is DURING the stroke.

"Richard"
    oh, so I can have my FC stand behind me to line up and then have him move?? what about my first question, swing guide on the club for the partice swing and then off for the real swing? what about if I carry a 14th club that has a swing guide on it, use it for my practice swing at my bag, put it back and grab the club I'm planning to hit and then hit the ball?

oh, so I can have my FC stand behind me to line up and then have him move??
    No. See Rule 8-1 regarding advice. However, your caddie would be allowed to perform this task.

what about my first question, swing guide on the club for the partice swing and then off for the real swing?
    No. Putting the swing guide on the club would make the club non-conforming and you would immediately be disqualified under Rule 4-1.
    (Possession of a non-conforming club is sufficient for disqualification.)

what about if I carry a 14th club that has a swing guide on it, use it for my practice swing at my bag, put it back and grab the club I'm planning to hit and then hit the ball?
    No. Carrying a 14th club in your bag with an attached swing guide would get you disqualified on the 1st teeing ground.
    (Again, possession)

1dash1
    I've seen guys who seem to play by the rules use a weight on their driver before a swing and then take it off before they actually hit, so this wouldn't be much different.
    Thotho:

The player you saw use a weight on their driver before taking a swing was okay on the first tee, prior to making a stroke, because he hadn't started his round. Thereafter, use of a device such as a weighted donut would be a breach of Rule 14-3.

During the round, you may not use any training aid that was designed specifically to be used in a golf swing and then used during a golf swing, even if that swing happens to be a practice swing.

For further information, see Decisions 14-3/10 and 14-3/10.5.

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...4.html#14-3/10
    Last edited by Gary Hill; 03-31-2006 at 03:17 AM.

1dash1
    Gary:

Agreed. For the player using the swing guide, the more applicable rule would be Rule 4-1, rather than Rule 14-3.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Gary, I understand not being allowed to use a non conforming club, but what if you happen to be using a training aid that is not a club, and does not directly attach to a club during the round?
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    Gary, I understand not being allowed to use a non conforming club, but what if you happen to be using a training aid that is not a club, and does not directly attach to a club during the round?
    such as???

Thanks for your help guys. Much apreciated. So basically the only way I can line up to the hole is to use my own eyes... any way around this hole? Gary I remember you saying something about putting your bag in the bunker then putting your club on the bag to see if the shot would get over the lip of the bunker, all to avoid grounding your club. Any ideas on how I can help line up my shots without breaking the rules? I'm always missnig way to the left but when im' standing there it looks prett good...

Like the Speed Stik, or shaft w/ one of those form fitted grips on it (to remind you where the correct grip is), but cut off @ the end of the grip, so it's not a club.

I'm not sure that anyone would have a use for these things on the course, but just wondering what the limitations are, if the only thing stopping you from bringing one on is that it falls under being a 'non conforming club' then that suggests things that aren't clubs are allowed.

Any ideas on how I can help line up my shots without breaking the rules? I'm always missnig way to the left but when im' standing there it looks prett good...
    I have horrible alignment ... completly useless at lining up towards a target. I find it's as simple as putting a club down pointed straight at the target where my feet should be, step back a few feet to ensure it's pointing correctly, then walk up, setup w/ it as you guide then pick it up and take the shot

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Look for a mark on the ground that is in line with your target from your ball. Draw an imaginary line through it and the ball and line up parallel to that. You cannot make a mark on the ground, but there is nothing stopping you from using a mark that is already there.

The Rule bascially says: No artificial devices.

You train on the range and put your swing to the test on the course.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I have horrible alignment ... completly useless at lining up towards a target. I find it's as simple as putting a club down pointed straight at the target where my feet should be, step back a few feet to ensure it's pointing correctly, then walk up, setup w/ it as you guide then pick it up and take the shot
    Decision 8-2a/1 - Club Placed on Ground to Align Feet
    Q: A player places a club on the ground parallel to the line of play to assist him in aligning his feet properly. Is this permissible?
    A: Yes, provided the player removes the club before playing his stroke. Otherwise, a breach of Rule 8-2a would occur.

Looks like you are fine.
    Back at it.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Is there anything to stop your opponent from standing behind you and watching the break of your put? (besides golf etiquette) I know on tour they stand off to the side and walk over and take a look after the put has been struck.

1dash1
    such as???

Any ideas on how I can help line up my shots without breaking the rules? I'm always missnig way to the left but when im' standing there it looks prett good...
    Thotho:

One of my friend's pre-shot routine includes holding his club along his chest (arms folded) to make sure that he's sighted down the proper target line. Compared against putting the club down on the ground, it may be better because your upper body alignment is more important than where you place your feet. On the other hand, putting the club down on the ground may be better, because it's more objective.

Personally, I place a club on the ground EVERY TIME I'm on the driving range. AND I periodically (once or twice a session) place a club on my chest to check that my upper body alignment is the same as the club on the ground. If I get nothing else out of the practice session, at least I've reinforced proper target alignment.

P.S. I don't care if it looks "junior golfish". I'm not there to look good. I'm there to get some good practice in.
    Last edited by 1dash1; 03-31-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I'm always missnig way to the left but when im' standing there it looks prett good...
    Maybe alignment isn't your issue here, you could be pulling the ball due to an out-to-in swing with a closed (square to the path) clubface.....

Quote Originally Posted by larry
    Is there anything to stop your opponent from standing behind you and watching the break of your put? (besides golf etiquette) I know on tour they stand off to the side and walk over and take a look after the put has been struck.
    No.

Of course, there is always the "catch all" penalty.

Rule 33-7 Disqualification Penalty; Committee Discretion
    A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

Thread Information