100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron JimmyW is on a distinguished road JimmyW's Avatar

Smile "Putting" on a Show

Kinda wondering where I got this idea from, and since we're talking silly season here (you know-where the October leaves make the idea of using a coloured ball seem a little less dorky ), I've got something to run by ya.

What style of putting do people use? Personally I’ve tried normal grip, reversed grip (right hand up), palms together, open stance, and even completely facing the hole. I suppose being ambidextrous doesn’t help a hell of a lot either. I AM left-handed but swing normally (the same as most people). Nothing feels “right”. I borrowed the wife’s left-handed clubs at the practice range this year and actually surprised myself by hitting half-decently.

Now the funny part. I threw the wife’s putter in my bag and putted “backwards” while playing a round this weekend. Right hand down, left hand up, stance square to the ball and hitting the ball on the “backswing”. Saw the line like Russell Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind" Sounds stupid but it’s the equivalent of the reverse grip that most golf teachers advocate to get rid of that nasty “ snapping” motion and to deaden the wrists, no?

Long story short- 42 on the front 9 and 1 or 2 putted everything. Blew up on the back but still only 3 putted twice the entire day. Handicap is 22.

Comments
    JW

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

dimarco claw

I've been using the Chris DiMarco claw grip for about a year now. (hunched over with top hand knuckles facing your belly and lower hand knuckles facing outwards, lower arm parallel with the green - my golf buddies call it the cross-handed crippler)

Anyways it works for me. It beomes a total shoulder stroke and the ball rolls smooth and true. I've gone from many 3 putts and the odd 4 putt per round to rarely making a 3 putt. I can think about making those 15 foot birdie putts now rather then worrying about having a 4 footer coming back.

Thread Information