CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Fitted

Putter Polecat is on a distinguished road

Question Getting Fitted

Just getting back into golf after a year away. Ive got good clubs but after several buckets I've noticed on the face I'm hitting off the sweet spot towards the hosel. On the sole it appears that I'm making more contact at the toe. Does this make sense? I'm not an expert but think they need to be bent up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Have the lies checked.Then have the swingweight checked. I'll have more later.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat
    Just getting back into golf after a year away. Ive got good clubs but after several buckets I've noticed on the face I'm hitting off the sweet spot towards the hosel. On the sole it appears that I'm making more contact at the toe. Does this make sense? I'm not an expert but think they need to be bent up. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Generally, golfers who make contact toward the heel of the face swing into the ball from the OUTSIDE. Regardless of your swing motion, having the lie angle checked as the Chief suggested and adjusted if necessary is the #1 priority. It appears that because the toe is digging in, your lies are too upright and that means that your ball will go right somewhat, with a perfect swing. If you change your swing from my assumed outside club head path to a more inside approach, then get the lie angles checked again.

Also, it may be advisable to see if the clubs are the right length for you. If you would provide the distance from the wrist crease of your dominant hand to the floor, AND your height, one of us will provide a recommended length

Hey thanks, I appreciate the help. My wrist crease to floor is aprox 37 1/2 inches to the floor and my height is 6' 2". I believe my last set was one inch longer than standard. Would you know if being one inch longer would make them flatter?

Thanks Again.

I just measured my 5 iron and it is 39 inches and it is graphite. From searching on the internet it appears to me this is the right length considering my height 6'2" and wrist to floor measurement (37.5). I'll have look further into the lie angle.

"Richard"
    I'm 6'0 wrist to ground is 33.5 any idea what I should be? Just had my driver cut down to 43.75 because I wont get to see don this week. If it needs to be shorter I'm sure he can take care of it, hopefully it doesn't need to be longer

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat
    Hey thanks, I appreciate the help. My wrist crease to floor is aprox 37 1/2 inches to the floor and my height is 6' 2". I believe my last set was one inch longer than standard. Would you know if being one inch longer would make them flatter?

Thanks Again.
    Generally a club becomes more upright as it is lengthened. I don't know the ratio though.

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I'm 6'0 wrist to ground is 33.5 any idea what I should be? Just had my driver cut down to 43.75 because I wont get to see don this week. If it needs to be shorter I'm sure he can take care of it, hopefully it doesn't need to be longer
    Try this link: http://www.ping.com/flash/webfit.html

It's not perfect but it will give you an idea. You definitely need to hit some balls on a lie board to determine the lie angle you need.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Make sure everything about the clubs you will be using are fitted BEFORE you check your lies!! Total weight,shaft weight, lenght ,flex and flex point.Unless these variables are addresed first,you are not getting the full advantage of your efforts.

9 Iron chieflabattblue is on a distinguished road
    BC,
    Are you by chance a club maker? If not that would explain it for me atleast, inregards you assumption of that you made in regards of the gentleman's lie angles. Your explanation does make sense..and if you are not a club maker I would understand your assumption..but if you were?????????????????? WOW

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    the toe is digging in, your lies are too upright and that means that your ball will go right somewhat, with a perfect swing.
    Lyle. Was that a typo? I've always thought that if the toe was digging in the lie was too flat.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    I got my clubs as a graduation gift in April. They were all bought at Golftown. Is it too late to get fitted and have the clubs adjusted accordingly?

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    Maverick, I suggest you go see Don Irving at Artisan Golf. If your irons are cast using a soft metal (or forged), then he will be able to adjust the lie and loft. He will also be able to tell you if your shafts are reasonable for your swing.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Lyle. Was that a typo? I've always thought that if the toe was digging in the lie was too flat.
    Sometimes I from the condition where what I think and what I say or type is the opposite. I believe that it is called stupidity.

Toe down - Too flat - Ball go right.
    Toe up - Too upright - ball go left.

Now repeat this 1000 times.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    And does club fitting help everyone? Including high handicapper like me (26)?

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    Maverick, if the lies of your club are way off then you will hit the ball off-line even when you make a good swing. You can check your divot to see if only part of the sole is contacting the turf. See BC Mist explanation above.

If I were you, I would take a few lessons from a reputable pro before I started worrying about your clubs too much. Lessons may lead to swing alterations that change the required club lie.

Thread Information