100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    The point is, as Andru already said, to determine who is 'worthy'.

The reason I brought up Kuehne and Nicklaus is beacuse they are known names who have had a number of exemptions and haven't been able to parlay them into a win.
    Kuehne got his exemptions because he comes from a well known golf family and hits the ball a mile. IMO he does NOT have the mental game to compete on the PGA tour and will never win. You say he has proven his ability?
    In 113 PGA starts he has only 8 top tens, and he's missed as many cuts as he's made.
    Not what I would call impressive.

Nicklaus the 'publicity stunt' does get his exemptions because of his last name, but I do remember him losing in a playoff to Mickelson - it was a publcitiy stunt and the guy was tied for lead after 4 rounds?
    This proves he has (or had)the game to complete at the PGA level but whether he 'deserves' the exemption is a matter of opinion. Same deal with Wie, some think her accomplishments give her the right to an exemption, others don't.
    You're right...Kuehne doesn't have the mental game to compete at the PGA Tour level. They give him enough money, however, to keep him in the top 125 every year so that he keeps his card. He doesn't actually play the tournaments, though. And he didn't lose by one shot to Sean O'Hair last year at (ironically enough) the John Deere Classic. So obviously he shouldn't even be out there.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    You're right...Kuehne doesn't have the mental game to compete at the PGA Tour level. They give him enough money, however, to keep him in the top 125 every year so that he keeps his card. He doesn't actually play the tournaments, though. And he didn't lose by one shot to Sean O'Hair last year at (ironically enough) the John Deere Classic. So obviously he shouldn't even be out there.
    Pretty lame - if you're attempting to be sarcastic you might add one of these: or

Let's look at Kuehne's record form last year. You mention he finished second - yes he did - once.
    Of the 31 events he entered he made the cut in 13 of them. What a great player

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Pretty lame - if you're attempting to be sarcastic you might add one of these: or

Let's look at Kuehne's record form last year. You mention he finished second - yes he did - once.
    Of the 31 events he entered he made the cut in 13 of them. What a great player
    I never knew that qualifying for the PGA Tour, and then keeping your card in successive years, was so easy !! What's your secret?

My point was not that he's the best ever, but that he was deserving of the exemptions that came his way early in his career. Anybody who can compete out there and keep his card gets my vote as deserving of an exemption.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Same deal with Wie, some think her accomplishments give her the right to an exemption, others don't.

I guess my point is, that her accomplishments are non-existent. Now, let me clarify that before I get berated with responses. Michelle Wie is an extraordinary talent, but her accomplishments at a high level do not exist yet. Plain and simple. Giving a spot to a player who has never won on her own tour (and has yet to prove she has the ability to compete with the men) just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm done on this topic.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    And that's the original point I was making when I started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I guess my point is, that her accomplishments are non-existent. Now, let me clarify that before I get berated with responses. Michelle Wie is an extraordinary talent, but her accomplishments at a high level do not exist yet. Plain and simple. Giving a spot to a player who has never won on her own tour (and has yet to prove she has the ability to compete with the men) just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm done on this topic.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    No-one has made a claim that she has accomplished anything! All I have been saying is that for the sponsor, do you give the exemption to a guy who probably won't make the cut and will not draw any fans or media attention, or do you get Michelle Wie who most likely will? Where is the most bang for the sponsor's buck? It has nothing to do with what may or may not be good for golf, although you could argue that if the sponsor doesn't see good value for the millions of dollars they are pumping out, then they don't sponsor anymore and the tournament is gone. And would that be bad because a tournament doesn't exist, or good because a "B" class tournament that can't draw anyone good is gone?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

"Richard"
    To say she hasn't acomplished anything is crazy. Say she doesn't deserve an exemption but not that she hasn't acomplished anything. She has many top 10 finnsihes and at that age its an accomplishment

Lob Wedge peopleknowme is on a distinguished road
    Good chip last week Michelle!!!!!! Let's think about this for a minute....sure there's money and ratings..why do you care...she's going to miss the cut anyway and then cry at the press conference like the little GIRL she is...let the boys play their tour and let the girls play the "L" PGA tour....Annika said herself that these guys are good...key word GUYS...if you want to see disappointment in a teenage girls face then sure let Michelle Wie play but wouldn't you like to see your pro have a chance at his dream? regardless of the probability of him winning?

How about we get that dress Fred Funk wore at the Skins Game and enter him into the Kraft Nabisco!!!!!!

Lob Wedge peopleknowme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    ...c'mon man. Be practical. He didn't have his tour card when he got the exemptions.

Michelle Wie does not qualify for the women's or men's US amateur, because she never had a USGA index.

...she did qualify for the US Publinx, which she has won. She won it as a junior, making her the youngest person EVER to win a USGA event for adults.

For a public player, considering she's only 16, she's done a lot.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!!!! That's like Ralph Wiggum saying "my cat's breath smells like cat food" when asked a question by Miss Hoover... You cannot play in an amateur golf tournament conducted by the USGA if you do not have a handicap index!!!

And for Kuehne...oh ya he's terrible! A player who wins a US AM, wins the CDN Tour money list and then gets his PGA card the next year???? Sure, he doesn't deserve exemptions! But Michelle with no index does
    Last edited by peopleknowme; 04-06-2006 at 03:07 AM.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I wouldnt tune in to watch Kuene. Or Arnold Palmers grandson. Or a CEO's son, or tour pro, etc. etc. etc.

I will tune in to see an excellent teenage girl fight the good underdog fight (which many sports fans enjoy watching), and whether she wins or not, enjoy it. Having read the endless parade of sexist comments on this thread alone, I'm that much more happy that she's playing...just to piss you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I wouldnt tune in to watch Kuene. Or Arnold Palmers grandson. Or a CEO's son, or tour pro, etc. etc. etc.

I will tune in to see an excellent teenage girl fight the good underdog fight (which many sports fans enjoy watching), and whether she wins or not, enjoy it. Having read the endless parade of sexist comments on this thread alone, I'm that much more happy that she's playing...just to piss you off.
    Ok...i was done, but I have to reply to this. With the exception of one or two, the comments on this thread have NOT been sexist. Pretty much everyone who has argue against Wie playing on the PGA tour has done so based on her lack of success in tournaments, not based on her being female. Doesn't piss me off because she's female, only because she hasn't earned it. I would be just as mad if the tour randomly decided to pick a man who had never won a professional tournament nor finished well in an all male tournament.

Also, I love the underdog...very few sports fans don't. But the true underdog goes all the way on their own talent. George Mason earned their way into March Madness, and earned their way all the way to the final four. The Flames earned their way into the playoffs, and all the way to the Cup final a couple of years ago. Underdogs are great to watch, because they WORK their way up from the bottom to compete with the best in their sport. When Wie does that, I will be the first one to be cheering for her. Until then, keep her of the tourn.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Ok...i was done, but I have to reply to this. With the exception of one or two, the comments on this thread have NOT been sexist. Pretty much everyone who has argue against Wie playing on the PGA tour has done so based on her lack of success in tournaments, not based on her being female. Doesn't piss me off because she's female, only because she hasn't earned it. I would be just as mad if the tour randomly decided to pick a man who had never won a professional tournament nor finished well in an all male tournament.

Also, I love the underdog...very few sports fans don't. But the true underdog goes all the way on their own talent. George Mason earned their way into March Madness, and earned their way all the way to the final four. The Flames earned their way into the playoffs, and all the way to the Cup final a couple of years ago. Underdogs are great to watch, because they WORK their way up from the bottom to compete with the best in their sport. When Wie does that, I will be the first one to be cheering for her. Until then, keep her of the tourn.
    Well-said dude!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

powerdriver
    Why do you have to "earn" an exemption? you don't earn exemptions, they are given to you.

Bunch of sour old men in here! GIve it a break.

Michelle Wie is awesome. She will win on th PGA. Get used to it. She is only 16!!! imagine what she will be like when she is 23, fully matured and out of puberty? She will be hitting it longer than 300 yards is my guess...

You guys are unbelievable. Let the girl play.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    No-one has made a claim that she has accomplished anything! All I have been saying is that for the sponsor, do you give the exemption to a guy who probably won't make the cut and will not draw any fans or media attention, or do you get Michelle Wie who most likely will? Where is the most bang for the sponsor's buck?
    Exactly.
    Put yourself in the position of the execs at John Deere and ask yourself what you would do.
    If this exemption had gone to a no name you can be guaranteed there wouldn't be a thread on this site with almost 200 posts on the topic.
    Whether you think she deserves it or not, we will all be curious to see how she fairs, and that is just what the sponsors are after.

Do you even have anything to back up this 'awesome' argument of yours (winning on the PGA tour)? I think you're a few fries short of a happy meal. I've heard some extreme predictions, but this is like saying that an expansion team will win the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by powerdriver
    Why do you have to "earn" an exemption? you don't earn exemptions, they are given to you.

Bunch of sour old men in here! GIve it a break.

Michelle Wie is awesome. She will win on th PGA. Get used to it. She is only 16!!! imagine what she will be like when she is 23, fully matured and out of puberty? She will be hitting it longer than 300 yards is my guess...

You guys are unbelievable. Let the girl play.

powerdriver
    Do you even have anything to back up this 'awesome' argument of yours (winning on the PGA tour)? I think you're a few fries short of a happy meal. I've heard some extreme predictions, but this is like saying that an expansion team will win the Super Bowl.
    Oh Donny and you are the resident expert? Do you have any facts to backup she won't win?

Give the girl a break. Get off your high horse.

[quote=powerdriver] Do you have any facts to backup she won't win?[quote]

fact n.
    1. Knowledge or information based on real occurrences.
    There is no such thing as "future facts", making it impossible to back up a prediction with facts.

powerdriver
    There is no such thing as "future facts", making it impossible to back up a prediction with facts.
    My point exactly... Donny can't say she won't win just as much as I can't see she will.

It's an opinion. That's all.

Like the Dandy Man used to say - you're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

Saying that any woman will win a PGA event is Royal Ottawa Hospital material. That's not being a chauvinist, it's being a realist.

powerdriver
    Saying that any woman will win a PGA event is Royal Ottawa Hospital material. That's not being a chauvinist, it's being a realist.
    I want you to show me facts if you are going to make such bold statements that I am crazy.

I guess you have been working the AM dial to much. Time to upgrade.

powerdriver
    Further to that.... Time to upgrade your mode of thinking. You are stuck in the 1930's bud. I figured you for a 60 year old, but it says you are 31...

I think you are up for a rude awakening...

ps., have a nice day!

I truly believe you are the ONLY person that I will ever come across that actually thinks a woman will win a PGA event. Not even my sister, the biggest feminist in Ottawa, thinks that. I don't think any LPGA golfers think that. I don't even think you really think that, you're just stirring the pot.

powerdriver
    Like the Dandy Man used to say - you're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny

Dandy man also got canned for saying Tie Domi beat his wife. the moral of this story is the Dandy Man is full of Crap....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Good grief guys. Stop the insults please.

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    I truly believe you are the ONLY person that I will ever come across that actually thinks a woman will win a PGA event. Not even my sister, the biggest feminist in Ottawa, thinks that. I don't think any LPGA golfers think that. I don't even think you really think that, you're just stirring the pot.
    Poor fundonny. You would think that hanging around all those intellectuals at the team 1200 would rub off on you!! I think you had better keep making your Superbowl predictions and lay off the golf predicitions.

Michelle Wie is a 16 year old girl who bombs the ball 300 yards and can compete with pretty much anyone not named Tiger, Vijay or Mickelson. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth that she will compete and eventually become a full fledged member of the PGA Tour.

Get past the WOMAN part and let's discuss the golf part - she's got serious game.

Can't beat women, and yet she can compete with all but the top 3 men in the world? That's a highly logical argument if I've ever heard one. The fact that she's never won an LPGA event, let alone made a cut on the PGA tour is surely the ultimate proof that she is as good as everyone on the PGA tour. How did I not see it before? I must be blind. Thank you for showing me the light MrMulligan. I was a fool to have ever questioned her completely unproven ability to win tournaments. What was I thinking. I will never doubt her again.

Andru
    Can't beat women, and yet she can compete with all but the top 3 men in the world? That's a highly logical argument if I've ever heard one. The fact that she's never won an LPGA event, let alone made a cut on the PGA tour is surely the ultimate proof that she is as good as everyone on the PGA tour. How did I not see it before? I must be blind. Thank you for showing me the light MrMulligan. I was a fool to have ever questioned her completely unproven ability to win tournaments. What was I thinking. I will never doubt her again.
    Well. I'm not speaking for MM but I watched the 60 min special tonight. She's a very smart girl. She's going to compete on thge PGA tour. She metnioned one thing in response to the question. "Why doesn't she win more?" Well She's still in Highschool. She hasnt' devoted 100% of her time to the game yet. Yikes. That's all I need to hear. She's part time compared to her colleagues and she's only 16. I can't wait to see her compete full time on the PGA tour.

And for the guys who suggested. Paula Creamer and Natilie Guilbis were the hot chicks on tour? Those girls are Whoof Whoof man I'm not sure what kind of beer your'e drinking but I'd like some..

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Well. I'm not speaking for MM but I watched the 60 min special tonight. She's a very smart girl. She's going to compete on thge PGA tour. She metnioned one thing in response to the question. "Why doesn't she win more?" Well She's still in Highschool. She hasnt' devoted 100% of her time to the game yet. Yikes. That's all I need to hear. She's part time compared to her colleagues and she's only 16. I can't wait to see her compete full time on the PGA tour.
    If and when it happens, good for her. It may well, and if it does, good for her. It also may not. I don't mean to say that she will never win, or that she definitely won't be able to compete on the PGA tour. I just don't like the fact that people are already assuming that she is of equal calibre as the men, simply because she can hit the ball as far as them. Distance is not the only part of the game. We're just going to have to wait and see.

Remember a kid named Daigle? The next big thing? Teenage stars do not always turn into successful athletes. Sure, at 16, it is too early for anyone to say that she WON"T make it on the tour. But, by the same logic, it is also too early for anyone to say that she WILL make it on the tour.

Andru
    If and when it happens, good for her. It may well, and if it does, good for her. It also may not. I don't mean to say that she will never win, or that she definitely won't be able to compete on the PGA tour. I just don't like the fact that people are already assuming that she is of equal calibre as the men, simply because she can hit the ball as far as them. Distance is not the only part of the game. We're just going to have to wait and see.

Remember a kid named Daigle? The next big thing? Teenage stars do not always turn into successful athletes. Sure, at 16, it is too early for anyone to say that she WON"T make it on the tour. But, by the same logic, it is also too early for anyone to say that she WILL make it on the tour.
    I'm kind of a glass is full kind of guy.

Thread Information