100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Haha...I didn't know this had turned into a thread about the stylishness of nhl window flags. I just thought that, having challenged someone to such a bet, you might be willing to, you know, back up the challenge.

Andru said:

Making a bold statement on some Golf Chat board in Ottawa is meaningless. Put your Money where your mouth is man.

My money is where my mouth is, where is yours?

"Richard"

wie vs. lebron

There isn't much difference in my mind between wie and lebron. Since there are 82 games in a season, the cavs are bound to win some of the games they play and also, it is a team sport. Any wins and you can’t fully credit lebron James, any losses and you can't fully blame him. The calves have a great team this year and have a good chance to go all the way but until they do, by your logic, the lebron will be categorized a choker. He already has that rep among fans and among players in the NBA. You guys forget that wie is 16 years old. There are a lot of things she will improve on and there are a lot of things that she has yet to learn about he game. I know the women’s ranking system still needs to be tweaked as they give to much weight to women on the Asian tours but she is as of now, the 3rd ranked woman player in the world. There isn't a single player on the LPGA that was as good as she is at 16, 15, 14 or 13. You guys aren't giving her enough if any credit. She is 16 years old! The only player I can even think of that was better than her at age 16 was tiger woods (currently on tour that is)! In all the men’s tourneys, she has never come dead last so she is beating men on the PGA tour already. Last year at the JD she beat almost half the men. She played really well against the men in the amateur she played last year. Is she is going to ever win on the PGA tour, no she isn’t. If she went to q school and tried to qualify for the PGA tour could she? Not now, but she is only 16, some of the men playing there are 30+. At the age of 20-25 if she tried she would have a good shot if she continues to improve. Lebron James hasn't proved anything. One can make the argument that he is no better than the other plays from the rich draft he came from. Carmelo Anthony, Chris bosh and wade, if winning was the only criteria. You guys are comparing a 16 year old girl to 30+ year old men who have been playing longer than she has been alive. She is playing better than the world number one this year already. What is the big deal if she gets invited to the JD? Its not like she is placing dead last, she is barely missing the cut. I wonder who else didn’t make the cut last year. I think more PGA tour event should give her exemptions, but not just her. How about gulbis as well? Bottom line is, it’s a sponsor’s exemption and they can invite anyone they want and personally I would invite her over anyone else in the world. There isn’t a single woman on the LPGA who has a shot at making the cut at a PGA event except her and that is one of the reasons she gets invited back again and again. She is the only female long enough to make the cut.
    Last edited by "Richard"; 04-05-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The above post has been edited
    I’ll take the first 5 bets that come my way.
    Use of this site to make bets is no longer permitted.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    She's 16 and doesn't embarass herself at the PGA tour events. Tiger won his first PGA tour event at 20. Michelle doesnt' have the mental toughness of Tiger and probably never will. But she has 4 years to improve and mature. We'll see.
    Tiger at 16 was better then MW right now. At 16 Tiger could hit the ball over 300Y with equipment from his time. At 16 he had won three junior AM’s and one US AM four straight years. That’s proven ability. MW has yet to come close to those achievements. She has not won anything significant as an amateur.

Pressel on the other hand was ranked #1 amateur. Won the ladies US AM, qualified for the LPGA US Open at the age of 13 years old. Got her card through Q School. Know that’s achievement.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    If, in 10 years, she's earned her way onto the PGA tour, that's GREAT for her and for golf. As of yet, she has not.

if you're willing to do the same with a 2006 Senators Stanley Cup Champions banner in yours.
    Maybe this is just an incorrect interpretation, but does anybody else see the irony here?

The Sens haven't earned the Stanley Cup yet, but they deserve the accolades already... but if it's Michelle Wie? ..hm....
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Making a bold statement on some Golf Chat board in Ottawa is meaningless.
    Then you would prefer that nobody make a post that you disagree with? Understand that whether you agree with them or not, this forum would be pretty boring without bold statements.
    You defending Michelle Wie is equally, if not more meaningless so there's really no reason to attempt to diminish another person's opinion simply because it's different than yours.

powerdriver
    This thread is stupid. Are you a bunch of grown men or just a bunch of little boys?

Michelle Wie will win a PGA event. She is 16. Give her time to grow and mature.

How many of you can state that your game was at its best when you were 16?

I would love to see her crush the competition one day and am looking forward to it.

I sense a bunch of jealous, grumpy old men on this board!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    She will never win a PGA event. C'mon now, put the gin away and grab a cup of coffee.

Debating what's right and wrong in sports has nothing to do with jealousy.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdriver
    This thread is stupid. Are you a bunch of grown men or just a bunch of little boys?

Michelle Wie will win a PGA event. She is 16. Give her time to grow and mature.

How many of you can state that your game was at its best when you were 16?

I would love to see her crush the competition one day and am looking forward to it.

I sense a bunch of jealous, grumpy old men on this board!
    If the thread is so stupid, why did you jump in on it?

Michelle Wie will probably win many LPGA events, I do not believe for one moment that she will win a PGA event. It is just my humble opinion and holds absolutely no weight but my opinion none the Less. In fact, I do not believe any women will win a PGA event, not because they can't play golf or are not good golfers, it is just not the same course setup as an LPGA event. (longer rough, 500 yard par 5's)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Haha...I didn't know this had turned into a thread about the stylishness of nhl window flags. I just thought that, having challenged someone to such a bet, you might be willing to, you know, back up the challenge.

Andru said:

Making a bold statement on some Golf Chat board in Ottawa is meaningless. Put your Money where your mouth is man.

My money is where my mouth is, where is yours?
    Sure it is. You have the long end of the stick it's easy to do that. Ask the mobsters who bet on the black sox in the 20's.

I've already explained why it's a stupid bet for me or anyone to bet on her career. If you don't know her intentions you shouldn't make a bet on her potential.

Do you want to put something on her making the cut at the John Deere? That's far more interesting for me you can give me vegas odds too.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    This thread is stupid.
    so why post?

powerdriver
    Debating what's right and wrong in sports has nothing to do with jealousy.
    Give me a break! Where does it say that women can't play in the PGA? What is wrong with a woman playing in the PGA? Or is it because a 16 year old GIRL is allowed to play?

Where is the right/wrong agruement?

You guys are just too old-school. Time to adapt to the new world way. It is 2006, not 1936 guys...

Go Michelle Go!

powerdriver
    Why post? Because I am entitlted to my opinion as you are. I was simply stating a fact that this thread is stupid, and now, you are taking it to an even new low!

GO MICHELLE GO!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Why post? Because I am entitlted to my opinion as you are. I was simply stating a fact that this thread is stupid, and now, you are taking it to an even new low!

GO MICHELLE GO!
    I want you to show me the "facts" that define this thread as stupid...

Is your name BJ Wie???

IF you read from the beginning, you'd see that the debate is whether or not she should get exemptions to play with the boys, even though she's never won against the girls. That lead to the debate about $$$ for the smaller tournaments. That lead to the debate who would be a bigger draw. No one anywhere wrote that women should never be allowed to play. Read all 140 posts first.

Give me a break! Where does it say that women can't play in the PGA? What is wrong with a woman playing in the PGA? Or is it because a 16 year old GIRL is allowed to play?

Where is the right/wrong agruement?

You guys are just too old-school. Time to adapt to the new world way. It is 2006, not 1936 guys...

Go Michelle Go!

Sure it is. You have the long end of the stick it's easy to do that. Ask the mobsters who bet on the black sox in the 20's.

I've already explained why it's a stupid bet for me or anyone to bet on her career. If you don't know her intentions you shouldn't make a bet on her potential.

Do you want to put something on her making the cut at the John Deere? That's far more interesting for me you can give me vegas odds too.
    Uh-oh, no bets...take it back, take it back !!!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Then you would prefer that nobody make a post that you disagree with? Understand that whether you agree with them or not, this forum would be pretty boring without bold statements.
    You defending Michelle Wie is equally, if not more meaningless so there's really no reason to attempt to diminish another person's opinion simply because it's different than yours.
    I don't mind disagreeing. I like it. I spend way too much time on this board.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    Uh-oh, no bets...take it back, take it back !!!
    Alright I take it back or just for chest thumping on the board no money I repeat NO MONEY. I'd hate to turn this into a whizzin match.

powerdriver
    IF you read from the beginning, you'd see that the debate is whether or not she should get exemptions to play with the boys, even though she's never won against the girls. That lead to the debate about $$$ for the smaller tournaments. That lead to the debate who would be a bigger draw. No one anywhere wrote that women should never be allowed to play. Read all 140 posts first.
    The underlying message is that most of you over-the-hill thinkers believe that a woman shouldn't be allowed to play in the PGA.

Thanks for the note though!

ps., GO MICHELLE GO!

How old do you think we all are?????

I loved watching Annika play the Colonial. Why? Because she deserved it!

powerdriver
    I want you to show me the "facts" that define this thread as stupid...

Is your name BJ Wie???
    Sensfan - your first mistake was picking the nickname "sensfan"

Why is it stupid? Because it is. I don't need to produce a list. It is my opinion.

Have a great day!

The underlying message is that most of you over-the-hill thinkers believe that a woman shouldn't be allowed to play in the PGA.

Thanks for the note though!

ps., GO MICHELLE GO!
    BJ:

The message is not "shouldn't be allowed to play"...it's "shouldn't be given spots year after year based on potential, especially considering she hasn't won anything of note."
    And I'm in my late 20s, so i can't possible be over-the-hill...

By the way, if Annika played a few events per year, I'd be all for it. She is the best, after all.

[quote=powerdriver] Why is it stupid? Because it is. [quote]

Brilliant!

Did you think of this all by yourself ?

powerdriver
    I loved watching Annika play the Colonial. Why? Because she deserved it!
    You know, sometimes life isn't fair. Not everyone gets what they deserve and sometimes people do get what they don't deserve.

Exemptions don't have to be provided in the vein of "fairness".

But what isn't fair about it? Michelle Wei is great for the game, will draw more people to watch, which will result in more exposure for the game.

I think that is pretty fair!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    That is true no one has said this at all. In fact I think people are just disagreeing on the merit of her exemptions. The one fact missing form this debate is some important facts about exemptions. Example. who has received them in the past.

This is really important, if it's been established PGA tour players like previous winners etc. Then the merit of her receiving an exemption is questionable. If it has gone to a local club pro or an amateur then she's not out of place. IMO.

If anyone can dig this up this could help move this debate in a constructive direction.

powerdriver
    [quote=Shivas Irons][quote=powerdriver] Why is it stupid? Because it is.

Brilliant!

Did you think of this all by yourself ?
    Yup!

Thanks for your kind note. Have a pleasant day!

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Alright - my last contribution to this thread:

I don't think anyone is saying that women shouldn't be allowed to play in a PGA tour event. However, the argument remains that MW did not qualify, but rather is playing under a sponsor's exemption. This is where things get foggy. Is the PGA trying to run a business or preserve the integrity of the game? In my opinion, their goal has forever been to do both. For years a fine balance has been kept in this respect. However, the emergence of MW's popularity, and an increased sponsor dependence has created a conflict between the two objectives.

Is adding Michelle Wie in a tournament good for business? Undoubtedly yes, or esle the sponsors would not spend money to ensure she's there. Does it uphold the integrity of the game? No, because it takes the sport out of it by not having a field of qualified participants. Unfortunately, by today's standards, money talks. Business wins this conflict - Wie plays.

It is not about her making the cut, or her ever winning a PGA event. In my mind, it is about the current state of affairs. If the PGA continues to be run more like a business than an ambassador of the game of golf, it is only a matter of time until all integrity is comprimised.

I am a young guy (22), so no grumpy old man here. Furthermore, I am a business student who's every second is spent learning how to make a quick buck. Finally, I'm rather liberal when it comes to most things - especially the male vs. female perspective. However, this is golf - one of only a few respectable sports left - and it should not be turned into a promotional circus. If a woman qualifies for a PGA tour event, let her play - it's only fair. But the continuing exploitation of Wie's popularity truly comprimises the game of golf, and she should earn her way to glory and fame - just like everyone else.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I see a locked thread in our not to distant future Donny, it was a great thread too bad some took it so personally and seriously
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

powerdriver
    am a business student who's every second is spent learning how to make a quick buck.
    There are no quick bucks in life. You have to work hard. If you want a quick buck, go buy a lottery ticket. Quick bucks = scams.

No, that is just about the money, pure and simple. Every way you look at it, it's about the $$$$$$, from every angle.

Thread Information