CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

free box of pro v 1's to whoever....

game over congrats spackler
    Last edited by "Richard"; 03-28-2006 at 11:01 AM.

"Richard"
    Last edited by "Richard"; 03-28-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    ok i think i have it

split into 4 groups of 3 bullets.

weight # 1 against #2

now weight #1 against #3

doing this they will all be the same, or 1 will be consistently lighter or heavier leaving you will it narrowed down to 3 bullets. (i.e. if they all even out the 4th set it wrong, if they don't, you have isolated the wrong one)

weight 2 of the reamining 3 bullets against each other, if they are the same weight the other is the wrong weight, if one is heavier then you know based o nthe pervious weighings whether it si the ligher or heavier oen that is incorrect.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

btw I didn't use google or anything, and haven't heard this problem b4 ... so I could be wrong

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I remember this problem, but I definitely used the internet to REMEMBER it.

Number the bullets from 1-12. For the first weigh in, pit 1-4 on the left against against 5-8 on the right scale.

If they balance, then the odd bullet is in the 9-12 group. For the second weighing, pit 1 and 2 in the left pan against 9 and 10 on the right. If they balance, the odd bullet is either 11 or 12. Weigh bullet 1 against 11, if they balance the odd bullet is 12, if they don't, it's 11.

If 1-2 vs 9-10 don't balance, the odd bullet is either 9 or 10. Weigh 1 against 9, if they balance the odd bullet is 10 otherwise it's 9.

If the first weighing didn't balance, then the odd bullet is amongst 1-8. Going forward you need to keep track of which side is heavier in the following weigh-ins.

Say 5-8 is heavier, weigh 1,5,6 against 2,7,8. If they balance, the odd bullet is either 3 or 4. Weigh 4 against 9, if they balance the odd bullet is 3, otherwise it is 4.

If 1,5,6 vs 2,7,8 does not balance and 2,7,8 is the heavy side, then either 7 or 8 is the odd HEAVY bullet or 1 is the odd LIGHT bullet.

For the third weigh-in, put 7 against 8, whichever side is heavy is the odd bullet. If they balance, then 1 is the odd bullet.

Should the weight of 1,5,6 vs 2,7,8 show 1,5,6 to be the heavy side, then either 5 or 6 is the heavy bullet or 2 is the light bullet. Weigh 5 against 6. The heavier is the heavy bullet. If they balance, then 2 is the light bullet.

"Richard"
    NWILLIAMS

that doesn't work...

group 1 vs group 2 = even
    group 1 vs group 3 = even

bullet must be in group 4...

so now you weight bullet 10 vs 11 with your last use of the messuring device.

If its the same, you know the 12th bullet is the different one. But is it heavier or lighter? no clue. What is 10 vs 11 tilts the scale? that was your last weigh, how do you know if it tilted because one of them is heavier than the rest or because one is lighter than the rest...

damn, you are right.. .

I should have done it in groups of 4 ... looks like spackler has it.

"Richard"
    spackler, I think you got it! I'm going to bed now but will check at night when I wake up, but so far its worked for every bullet I've tried. Good stuff.

If its right you want prov's or something else? a deal is a deal

Putter ping4me is on a distinguished road
    Here is the solution but they are using coins instead of bullets.

http://www.puzzle.dse.nl/teasers/coin_weighing_us.html

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    spackler, I think you got it! I'm going to bed now but will check at night when I wake up, but so far its worked for every bullet I've tried. Good stuff.

If its right you want prov's or something else? a deal is a deal
    I was happy to help and a box of provs seems like a steep price to pay for that, I'm not holding you to it. If you still feel like you want buy a box, feel free to donate it to the OG golf day prize pool. http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=12124

"Richard"
    Whatever you like my friend, but you have earned me more than 5 times the price a box of pro v1's

Can you tell me how exactly I donate to this OG golf prize pool?

Whatever you like my friend, but you have earned me more than 5 times the price a box of pro v1's

Can you tell me how exactly I donate to this OG golf prize pool?
    Did you have some kind of bet going? I don't know even know if they're doing prizes for the forum golf day, best to pm geoff.

"Richard"
    yeah, we said no one was allowed to get help from anyone or the net (google) but these guys already broke the rules so I did as well. I've fowarded the answer to them and told them how I got it and that I saw their bookmarks when I was in the basement on the vector machine they got their hands on... so they've all agreed to pay up since we all broke the rules and I was the last one but first one to get the answer. So, I'll taalk to geoff and ask him what he wants me to do with the balls, if he isn't doing anything this year then I'll give them to you or whatever you want.

I'm sure that Geoff wil be able to use them for the forum day, but if he says no then I'll be happy to dump them in the trees and bushes and ponds of local golf courses. That sounds like a crazy bet though.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    spackler, your call. You earned them. If you want them take them. If not we could use them for the forum golfing day. Wasn't really planning on doing the prize thing, but maybe a sleeve for closet to the pin on some par 3s would be something the guys would like. LMK and thanks to both of you for the generous offer.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    spackler, your call. You earned them. If you want them take them. If not we could use them for the forum golfing day. Wasn't really planning on doing the prize thing, but maybe a sleeve for closet to the pin on some par 3s would be something the guys would like. LMK and thanks to both of you for the generous offer.
    Take em, by all means. I think the closest to the pin idea is a good one, just to make it a little more fun. Better that than me depositing them ob in 12 successive swings.

"Richard"
    hahaha, ok... Geoff, I'll get a hold of you this week and drop the balls of before sunday if thats ok with you. Or you can come grab them if you come by my dads store in stitsville after sunday (i'll be gone)

hahaha, ok... Geoff, I'll get a hold of you this week and drop the balls of before sunday if thats ok with you. Or you can come grab them if you come by my dads store in stitsville after sunday (i'll be gone)
    That's awful generous of you thotho, I hope you try and win them back at the forum golf day.

"Richard"
    I will be there for sure Someone should start a thread and try to make an event of this thing. People can donate new items to give out at the event. I'd donate to that... this isn't my donation this YOUR donation I'd we willing to kick in a $50 golftown credit or something. Or a lesson with mark at GT of at kevin haime centre. Can someone tell me what this event is? I've never even heard of it

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Still up in the air. Awaiting on some responses before we proceed. Its going to be a day for the forum members to get out and meet each other. More of a laid back fun day than tournament style probably. We'll keep you informed. thotho, send me a pm. You could probably just drop the balls in the mailbox. I work all weekend and won't be home much, stupid 12hr shifts.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    I was happy to help and a box of provs seems like a steep price to pay for that, I'm not holding you to it. If you still feel like you want buy a box, feel free to donate it to the OG golf day prize pool. http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=12124
    I'm pretty sure the golf gods are now casting good karma upon you.

Thread Information