CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

Push/pull cart vs carrying

After reading that one of Thotho's goals for 2006 was to start carrying his clubs, I've been thinking that maybe its time I started pulling (or pushing) mine. For the following reasons:

#1 Laziness.
    #2 Storage: I won't have to worry so much about how heavy my bag might be getting, which I guess partially reverts to reason #1
    #3 Image: I don't really care anymore that I'll be stigmatized as an old man
    #4 Cheapness: I'll be less inclined to rent carts, possibly, which has really crept up I must've rented 20 last year

As a 34 year old (mentally maybe 25) who used to carry almost exclusively, Its going to be a change. Any thoughts?

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I carried as a kid, and when I picked golf back up (3 years ago @ age 21) I couldn't carry anymore. I found their was too much pressure on my shoulders which caused head aches and neck problems.

I can guaruntee that since I stopped carrying I've felt a lot better @ the end of a round, and carrying also affected my play nearing the end of a round.

I'd say go for it, pick up a Sun Mountain (I have the bag boy and wish I had spent the $$ o nthe sun mountain) and live it up w/ a sweet push cart

p.s. 2 wheelers can be a pain i nthe ***** depending on the weight & dimensions of your bag...I can't stress it envough to get the 3 wheeler. I tried the 2 wheeler and had to return it (with a smaller cart bag, not the staff I carry now), it would tip, didn't roll very well etc etc.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I wouldn't carry my bag on a bet, It's like damn Frank, did you ever think to take any of those extra balls you found out of that bag, it weighs a ton . I don't care how old I look, I'll be using a pull cart as long as I can still walk. I enjoy the exercise and walking gives me a little more time to think what I'm going to do on this next shot coming up. I'm hoping to get on that new reality show "pimp your pullcart".

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    NWilliams does the staff bag fit well on a 3 wheeler? Hoping to get a sunmoutain speed cart for mine
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    It fits perfectly. Don't have any trouble with it.

The 3 wheelers are soooo nice ... they glide. Just make sure to take a hose to the wheel periodically to ckeep them dirt free (otherwise the brakes don't work, and the cart starts feeling a little heavy)
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I just bought one from psniddy and I think it's going to help me as well.
    Ive carried mine for years now but my back is more tired as the years go by.
    I have friends who swear by the push carts. They arent like the old ones by a long shot, very easy to push, and with the sun mountain they fold up nicely and will fit in the trunk, with NO removable 3rd wheel.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    agree. if you want to work out with weights, go to the gym.
    The pull cart I got from Costco has been great. Big wheels, light frame.
    I've also got this 'snap-on' which attach the handle bar to the back of your belt.
    You are walking with both arm free...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Holy crap, you young guys are wimps.

Personally, I find carrying to be less tiring than a push cart because I am unrestricted in where I can walk and as a result walk a lot less than if I have a cart. This includes walking off the front of the tee box, across the green, etc.

If you've got a decent double strap carry bag, the weight shouldn't be an issue.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I fully agree with Jvincent.. I use to have a staff bag (passed down from my father) when I was a teenager and I use to bull the bag around the course and it was such a pain to have to walk around the greens, and walk off the tee box to the cart again. I love my stand bag.. makes the game a lot easier with ur bag so mobile
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Wow, I can't believe how many folks don't carry. I've never not carried my bag unless the course mandates power carts (which i hate, unless it's a crazy mountain course).
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I carry my bag for roughly 75% of my rounds, and I am talking about playing 150 rounds a year.
    I must admit I switched to a Titleist Sunday Bag last summer when it was hot. Single strap, light as a feather and you can not carry 40 balls, 5 bottles of water, etc in it. It just doesn't have room!
    6 balls, tees, one water bottle, (Reload at the 10th hole, or buy one off the beer cart)
    14 clubs, and it is easy to get those clubs in and out.
    Drawback? If it is cool in the morning when I tee off I am wearing a windbreaker. I have no room to put it in that small bag. Now since I play with the same guys most of the time and one of them has a big bag on a 3 wheeler he lets me shove it in his golfbag.
    I love carrying, I find it so much easier to get around the course. Walk onto the green, mark my ball, walk towards the next tee and set the bag down. Clean the ball off while walking.
    Never leave a club behind because you always have your bag.
    I just find I am more into my golf game if I am carrying.

But I am 50 years old now, and to be honest one of those 3 wheelers is looking good I just don't think it will fit in the back of my Focus ZX5 without taking the bag on and off everytime. Pain in the butt that would be.
    To each his own though, carry, walk with a cart or ride a cart. Makes no difference to me. Just play golf!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    6 balls, tees, one water bottle, (Reload at the 10th hole, or buy one off the beer cart)
    14 clubs, and it is easy to get those clubs in and out.To each his own though, carry, walk with a cart or ride a cart. Makes no difference to me. Just play golf!
    6 BALLS??? I'd be done after hole #2!!!! LOL!!!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Definitely Carry. That's why I went to a lightweight bag and try to minimize what is in all the pockets. I like the freedom of being able to go anywhere with it on my back and not having to worry about where I push my cart. I'll carry until I can't do it anymore. That and I have enough trouble fitting my bag into my hatch, let alone with a cart on it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Just turned 57 and managed to CARRY for 68 rounds last season. Only carted for the 9 Scramble/Charity events last year.

No plans to change, it's keeping me 28 (well 29 now).................

WALK YOU WUSSES

"Richard"
    since I've Ive pulled with a 2 wheeler, pushed with a 3 wheeler and carried... carry a light bag is sooo much easier. When you push or pull it really starts to take its toll on your arm, its almost like dragging when the conditions are poor. With the three wheeler, the tire preasure has to be high otherwise if it feels like dragging as well. pushing or pulling is not fun when going up hills and down hills unless you just let your three wheeler go.

Carrying a light bag, with nothing but balls, and clubs isn't very hard. Not for me anyway but I work out a lot. I would say, go with a carry bag, or a three wheeler, 2 wheelers suck

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    6 BALLS??? I'd be done after hole #2!!!! LOL!!!
    You know the funny thing is, on my home course the 2nd hole is an island green. Now it only plays 125 yds, but that green is harder to hold than the 17th at Sawgrass! It is nasty, upside down bowl shaped green. There is not much water around it, maybe 10 feet wide from edge to edge. But even if you land the ball over the water, off the green it will still roll down into the water. Nasty, just plain nasty You aim for the centre of the green, two putt and get outa there!
    I was playing one day and two guys were hauling the balls out of that water. I asked the owner the next day how many balls came out of #2, over 3000 and that was 4-5 months worth of balls!
    So if you play my course, you might not make it past the 2nd hole with 6 balls

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Just turned 57 and managed to CARRY for 68 rounds last season. Only carted for the 9 Scramble/Charity events last year.

No plans to change, it's keeping me 28 (well 29 now).................

WALK YOU WUSSES

You and I would get along just fine on the golf course! I golf with a guy who is 60 and he carried his bag late last year.
    It sure doesn't hurt to walk, you just need to learn how to lighten the load and you are all set.
    I like carting in a Scramble, it is a lot easier to play those events while riding. You just motor down to the other balls, pick em up and go to the best drive.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I carryed for probably 90% of my rounds last year. I have a staff bag with a nice pull cart, but I only used it occasionally on days when maybe I felt a bit tired or wanted to play 36 holes.
    I certainly get a bit tired late in the round when carrying, but I want that. I play golf primarily for exercise and if I blow the last few holes because I'm beat from the sun, well, so be it...
    Even if I'm on a cart for a tournament or because it is mandatory, I usually use my carry bag. I always pull it off and take all my clubs with me if I'm in an area where we can't take a cart. And oftentimes I'll pull the bag off the cart and walk with it up the fairway to my ball while my partner takes the cart over to his.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

"Richard"
    Here are some calories associated with golfing for those who think walking vs pulling makes a difference, its not much.

Golf - driving range
    782 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - riding in cart
    671 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - pulling clubs
    1,580 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - carrying clubs
    1,653 calories in 4 hr 30 min

Not sure how they came up with these but sounds about right to me

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I have always carried (for all 5 years or so I've been playing). I hate bothering with carts when the ground isn't in perfect shape, and at 20 years old, I figure if I can't handle carrying, I should be lying in a hospital bed somewhere. The guy I play with on a regular basis though (same age as me) absolutely refuses to carry. I don't get it. Says he can't handle the weight. Sounds like a scam to me.

"Richard"
    I just look at this way... bag is 4 lbs? irons are 8lbs? wedges are maybe 2 lbs? driver and woods/hybrids are maybe 2lbs? throw some extra stuff in there and you are still under 20lbs.. easily! YOu can walk around with 20lbs strapped to your shoulders?? ever 5 minutes you get to put the bag down as well.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    Not sure why people equate using a 3-wheel cart with laziness. I find it much easier on the shoulders and reduces fatigue towards the end of your round. Plus, you can carry water, food, extra balls, beer, etc

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by upanddown
    Not sure why people equate using a 3-wheel cart with laziness. I find it much easier on the shoulders and reduces fatigue towards the end of your round. Plus, you can carry water, food, extra balls, beer, etc
    All good points, particularly the beer...
    I myself don't equate using a 3-wheel cart to laziness at all. To each his own. You're still getting tons of exercise just walking. However I do like the extra exercise I get from carrying. As for fatigure towards the end of a round... guess I like the challenge, and quite frankly, I could care less. Of course that's just me . I know that no matter how well I play that day, it's pretty unlikely there will be a message on my ansering machine from Nike when I get home...
    Now in a tournament... if I really want to win and think fatigue might be a factor, hey, I'll push or ride in a cart anyday.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

8 Iron lovethatping is on a distinguished road
    laziness for using a cart? funny, for me it's the opposite. yes, it's weird but i carry because i'm too lazy to set up the cart and stuff it in my trunk, etc. I guess it's not considered part of my regular golf stuff and i'm used to being in a rush to make my tee off. i'll still use the cart but only about 10% of the time.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    I just bought one from psniddy and I think it's going to help me as well.
    Ive carried mine for years now but my back is more tired as the years go by.
    I have friends who swear by the push carts. They arent like the old ones by a long shot, very easy to push, and with the sun mountain they fold up nicely and will fit in the trunk, with NO removable 3rd wheel.
    Welcome to the club, old man.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I have both a cart bag and a stand bag and I use them both depending on course conditions. I tend to use the stand bag more in the spring, because it is easier to bring to the range and being able to walk ANYWHERE on the course is a big advantage on a wet golf course.

But my shoulders DO get sore after a while (and I'm not a young guy anymore), so when the weather gets better I prefer a cart bag where I can bring a lot more stuff (water, extra shoes, rain gear, suntan lotion, bug spray, glass cleaner, club brushes, towel, umbrella, extra spikes, extra drivers/woods/irons/wedges to test before 'hoing them). And on courses with mandatory power carts like Le Sorcier, Heritage and Malone a stand bag just doesn't work.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent

Personally, I find carrying to be less tiring than a push cart because I am unrestricted in where I can walk and as a result walk a lot less than if I have a cart. This includes walking off the front of the tee box, across the green, etc.

If you've got a decent double strap carry bag, the weight shouldn't be an issue.
    What he said.

I started carrying after playing for 22 years and using pull-carts. I caddied for my cousin in the 2004 Canadian Amateur and after carrying his 723 lb. bag, I went out and picked a nice light one at Golf Town for myself. While it did get heavy late in the season last year (must remember to do maintenance and dump stuff out from time to time) I carried every time I could. I used a power cart on courses that were extremely hilly or when the humidex reached the mid-to-high 40's. I didn't once and I almost got heat stroke on the 18th at Irish Hills one day. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Before reading this thread, I thought - once you carry you'll never want to pull/push again. Am I wrong?!?!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I carried, but then got away from it last year because I had a really bad shoulder. But it drove me nuts pulling the cart everywhere, having to walk around greens, etc, so I picked up another carry bag this year and look forward to it. I've been in 'training' by hauling my 9 month old around in a backpack, I figure he weighs more than my clubs at this point, and so far so good. I only power cart if I'm playing too many days in a row (too many, yah right), I just love the walk on the course.

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    I carried for a couple years (only just started playing) and then last year I got a pull cart. What a difference! I always got a sore back and neck and shoulders which contributed to stiffening up on the back nine and being tired after 18. Now that I pull, I have a ton of energy, stay loose for the whole round and often play 36 holes with no trouble at all.

cheers,

Kris

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent

Ditto, I'll carry until I am physically unable to do it anymore. I do much less walking because I can take a direct line to my ball. It also leaves both hands free while you walk so you can clean your ball, eat, drink, etc.

Thread Information