100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    For some of us with bad knees, carrying is next to impossible. I used to ride for years then I bought a power cady and have been walking for the past 2 years. Love walking as opposed to riding (smoke to much when I am sitting in a cart waiting! LOL)

Plan on selling the power caddy and getting a push cart since I am no longer a member at a course (was great, stored the clubs and caddy there would just show up for my tee time and everything there ready and waiting for me at the first tee )))
    Last edited by Indio; 03-28-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    O.K. I'm a 50 year old wuss, but what is it about buying a new golf bag and wanting as many pockets and secret compartments and such. You get the bag home and start loading the bag up with crap you probably don't need but figure that someone else may need one and you just want to be a helpful neighbor type guy!Besides you know that nature abhors a vaccuum or any free space really. Do you really need that ball retriever that extends out to 50 feet?like you would be able to acually see your ball in the middle of the lake 15 feet below the surface. Are 8 sleeves of new pro v's completely nessasary when you find 3 for every one you lose, and at those prices you don't retire one until it starts collecting social security. Should you keep your whole collection of divot tools and ball markers from every country club you have ever played in the last 24 years on your person at all times while your playing, Like someone is going to ask to borrow your Oakmont divot tool and not your walmart open collectors tool and cigar holder. Ya, a lot of us have a lot of useless crap in our bags and have to use a pull cart but hell, I'm not taking my Royal typewriter out of my bag for nobody cause my printing sucks and you never know when you might have to type out a check for some more stuff to cram in that monstrosity called a golf bag.I don't want to say that my bag is overweight but I have to buy my pull cart tires and struts at goodyear.
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 03-28-2006 at 12:22 PM.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Now that's what I call a RANT!!! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    O.K. I'm a 50 year old wuss, but what is it about buying a new golf bag and wanting as many pockets and secret compartments and such. You get the bag home and start loading the bag up with crap you probably don't need but figure that someone else may need one and you just want to be a helpful neighbor type guy!Besides you know that nature abhors a vaccuum or any free space really. Do you really need that ball retriever that extends out to 50 feet?like you would be able to acually see your ball in the middle of the lake 15 feet below the surface. Are 8 sleeves of new pro v's completely nessasary when you find 3 for every one you lose, and at those prices you don't retire one until it starts collecting social security. Should you keep your whole collection of divot tools and ball markers from every country club you have ever played in the last 24 years on your person at all times while your playing, Like someone is going to ask to borrow your Oakmont divot tool and not your walmart open collectors tool and cigar holder. Ya, a lot of us have a lot of useless crap in our bags and have to use a pull cart but hell, I'm not taking my Royal typewriter out of my bag for nobody cause my printing sucks and you never know when you might have to write a check for some more stuff to cram in that monstrosity called a golf bag.I don't want to say that my bag is overweight but I have to by my pull cart tires and struts at goodyear.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Now that's what I call a RANT!!! Well done!
    AND pretty damned accurate if you ask me! WTG Ironmaster The real wuss' are the ones that use these itsy bitsy pieces of canvas they call golf bags! How to hell do you get a bottle of dark rum and 6 pack of coke in them????

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    [quote=thotho]Here are some calories associated with golfing for those who think walking vs pulling makes a difference, its not much.

Golf - driving range
    782 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - riding in cart
    671 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - pulling clubs
    1,580 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - carrying clubs
    1,653 calories in 4 hr 30 min

Not sure how they came up with these but sounds about right to me

IT TAKES YOU FOUR HOURS & THRITY MINUTES TO PLAY 18 HOLESS? What are you doing, stopping for a half hour or so after 9 holes? No wonder guys that carry get tired after 18, standing around that long with a bag of sticks on our backs.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    It never takes me more than 7 minutes to check the air pressure of my pull cart tires, add a little pressure to the air shock struts, ice down the quarter keg in my bag and I'm off.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    [quote=Golfbum]
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Here are some calories associated with golfing for those who think walking vs pulling makes a difference, its not much.

Golf - driving range
    782 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - riding in cart
    671 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - pulling clubs
    1,580 calories in 4 hr 30 min
    Golf - carrying clubs
    1,653 calories in 4 hr 30 min

Not sure how they came up with these but sounds about right to me

IT TAKES YOU FOUR HOURS & THRITY MINUTES TO PLAY 18 HOLESS? What are you doing, stopping for a half hour or so after 9 holes? No wonder guys that carry get tired after 18, standing around that long with a bag of sticks on our backs.

Realistically, people actually gain calories riding the cart... When I take the electric cart, I average 2 beers. And if it's a tournament, forget about it

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Golf is meant to be walked. I've always carried and find it so convenient to have your clubs always with you. I introduced this wonderful game to my wife and she uses a Bag boy 3 wheeler and loves it, but I despise it when playing with golf cart riders and they are actually slower as they have to run back to their cart to change a club, get a putter, or drive recklessly as they drink alcohol. Loud gas powered carts should be banned as they even disrupt fellow golfers in other playing groups. I believe there are so many people that are 'out of shape' and think of golf as their only form of exercise and they still use a golf cart. Also, there are so many golfers that shouldn't be riding carts as they can hardly afford to pay their green fee and blowing more money away as the smoke a pack and drink excessively. They complain about their game, and then spend $20-50 on carts, smokes and beer when they could be paying for a lesson. I usually refuse to golf a course that have mandatory carts. Anyways, I love to carry and you get used to it. Riding carts is a another sign that society is getting lazier! But then again, I'm the type that will bike 12 km to work just to get ready for the golfing season. One last thing....... Stretch, it will so help for a full swing!

Pitching Wedge EWhelan is on a distinguished road EWhelan's Avatar
    I also enjoy walking the course. I only time I use a power cart is if it is mandatory or a very hilly course say like Timber Ridge. I tried using a pull cart a few times and I did not enjoy it, having to walk around greens, etc.

I find that I can plan my next shot while walking up to the ball instead of having to grab 3 clubs out of the bag as your buddy races over to his ball in a power cart.

Golf is meant to play walking. If you want to lighten the load a bit try playing with only 11 or 12 clubs. Sometimes I would take out the Gap wedge, Lob wedge and one of the fairwaywoods and play with 11 clubs. For a mid to high handicapper you would probably shoot the same score or better.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    I am 60 and I carry half of the time. I use a cheap $35 bag, its light and has good shoulder straps.
    I will use power carts when it is mandatory. Otherwise my first choice is to carry.
    I find I have more time to concentrate on my next shot when I am walking to it. I get better course management results.
    I will use pull carts only if I am playing a flat course and my bag is loaded with foul-weather gear. But I am not too fond of flat courses.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    Walking is great but you can kepp more beers in a powercart
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Two words.... Quench wench!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    Walking is great but you can kepp more beers in a powercart
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Two words.... Quench wench!
    thats not very politicaly correct....i prefer cart tart
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    I generally like to carry whenever possible. In the spring and fall I will use a staff bag to carry extra clothes. When it gets warmer and I switch to my carry bag I find at about the 16th my legs and swing go south. This lasts about 2 or 3 rounds if I am playing regularly and then am good to go. The side effect is that I seem to get stronger after I get accustomed to carrying.
    I do have a couple of golf buddies - one with a bad ankle/knee and the other with a bad back. Because of this I am sometimes 'forced' to take a cart when we go out as a twosome.
    I find that when I walk I am alot more focused on my game and my scores are lower. This I enjoy for the 'purity' of the game. It's my personal preferance. Also, being able to walk with my hands free and make notes, manage my scorecard, and go anywhere is a big bonus.
    .....however - sometimes it's just going to be one of those party rounds. Then it has got to be the power (beer! cart) all the way!!!

5 Wood PatS is on a distinguished road PatS's Avatar

walking instead of riding

i dont know about you young guys, but,my wife and i carry our bags at all the courses that will let us.to me its all about taking in the scenery and talking with other fellow golfers. we see way too many people riding in carts.unless you have a physical problem use your two legs.its wonderfull after you play 36 holes ,and yes we old timers play 36 once in awhile and im talking good courses like outaouais in the morning and hautes plaines a couple of hours later just to name a few . get more out of your game ,adopt a carry bag or pull cart, cheers. by the way we are both 53 years young and play about 100 games in the summer.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    More than anything I just enjoy the game more when walking (and as I don't like pull carts, carrying it is). You can take your time, relax, and enjoy the scenery - lots of time between shots to be alone with your thoughts (or mocking your playing partner)

Gap Wedge Titleist Rules is on a distinguished road Titleist Rules's Avatar
    I've only been playing for 5 years, and have used a pulled cart for the first 4. Last years i bought a stand bag and i love it. I'll never go back. You always have your clubs with you. You can walk across the green and not around it to get to your ball. Your hands are free when walking to drink some water, eat or circle that birdie on the card.

Keep yer ball in the short grass.
    Driver!!!

4Iron
    I am with Titleist! Love to carry, and I carry lots being a packrat myself. I find pull carts tire me out. If I change, it will be a speed (push) cart. I hope that is not for some years yet!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Why does everybody keep saying you can't walk across the green w/ a cart?

Am I missing something?

[SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    thats not very politicaly correct....i prefer cart tart
    I can't believe the lovely forum ladies we have in here are letting 'us' get away with this..... guess they are just used to all the testosterone

Well, you've all talked (SHAMED) me into trying the carry thingy...... I will just have to get rid of the 150 lbs worth of crap that is in the old bag and slip whatever I can into the TM carry bag that has been collecting dust in the basement for 3 years now! Gonna miss the bottle of rum and 6 pack of diet coke though

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Well, you've all talked (SHAMED) me into trying the carry thingy...... I will just have to get rid of the 150 lbs worth of crap that is in the old bag and slip whatever I can into the TM carry bag that has been collecting dust in the basement for 3 years now! Gonna miss the bottle of rum and 6 pack of diet coke though
    keep the rum, drop the coke - same effect, lighter, and heck, less calories. Help you get in shape for walking.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    Why does everybody keep saying you can't walk across the green w/ a cart?

Am I missing something?

You are kidding right?
    Picture this
    wet greens, big bag loaded up with clubs, balls etc, thin pull cart wheels leaving marks on the greens.
    Next guy putting has to putt throught that mess?
    Nuff said. You just don't do that in North America.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I carry. I don't mind riding but I can't stand pulling. The new 3 wheelers look to be a step up from the old pull carts.

I try to pack lite and not drag my bag with me around every last twist and turn when I'm ball hunting.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever pulled in my life; I carry with a few less clubs or ride in a cart. I'd say that last year 80%+ of my rounds were in a cart. I'm lazy and hopefpully it will change this year. I just find it very taxing doing all that walking while trying to smoke. A cigarette is much more enjoyable in a gas cart. My $0.02; hopefully I won't be smoking this year on the course but d@mn does it ever pass time.

Thread Information