Greetings ...

At another golf discussion site, this question was asked --

"Does anyone know why Bill Haas has not been entered in many events recently? I thought his current status allowed him entry into at least most of the early season events? Just wondering from those who might now if there is an injury problem or something preventing him from playing."

I replied as follows --

Bill Haas finished Tied-26th at the 2005 Q-School. That finish put him way down on the selection list - 44th - for players in his specific exemption category, #25 "Top 20 Nationwide Tour Money Leaders, Top 30 and ties from last Q-School".

Haas stands at 139th position on the current (3-20-06) official money list, with just over $88,000. The first re-shuffle of selection order, now based on money earned so far this year, has already occured. Haas probably moved up a few spots, but must still rank relatively low in his category.

If Haas can earn some significant money before the next re-shuffle point (sorry - don't know when that is!), he'll move up in the selection order.

It should also be noted that Haas doesn't automaticly qualify for invitational events such as The Players, The Masters, Heritage, the Memorial, PGA Championship or the World Golf Championships. Either he has to earn his way into these events, or get via a sponsor invite (no such invites at The Players, The Masters, PGA or WGC's). By earning his PGA Tour card thru Q-School, Haas has unlimited sponsor invite priviledges for most open and invitational PGA Tour events.

In regular PGA Tour events where Open Qualifying is available, Haas would have to go thru TWO stages (previously just one) in order to earn a spot in the particular event. In the case of the US Open, it's definitely two stages of qualifying. I'm not altogether certain about the British Open.

Upcoming Open events - Bellsouth Atlanta, Shell-Houston, Zurich-New Orleans, Wachovia, Byron Nelson, Barclays-Westchester, Booz Allen

Upcoming Invitationals - Heritage, Colonial, Memorial