CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen Ames

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

Stephen Ames

Just noticed a great 2nd round for Stephen has put him in a tie for the lead for the moment. Good for him

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Keep it going Stephen!!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    That's great. I've always liked Stephen Ame's . I hope he does well
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    oops: this is world golf news, isn't it?

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    oops: this is world golf news, isn't it?
    Or Local news, now that he's a Canadian boy

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of Ames whatsoever, Canadian or not, I wish the guy would shut up and just let his scores do the talking.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I think it's refreshing to hear an athlete speak his mind. Great story in Sports Illustrated this week about Mark Hensby (I think that's his name) and about how he just says his mind.

How about Greg Owen too, nice rebound! I think Adam Scott wins this though.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    I think it's refreshing to hear an athlete speak his mind. Great story in Sports Illustrated this week about Mark Hensby (I think that's his name) and about how he just says his mind.

How about Greg Owen too, nice rebound! I think Adam Scott wins this though.
    I definitely agree with you on the 'speaking your mind comment'.
    For a while I used to dislike Vijay for some comments I didn't agree with. THen one day after hearing so many scripted athletes say absolutely nothing, I realized an opinionated tour player is better than quiet or one with pat answers from their handlers.
    Re: ames comments on tiger a mth ago, all he basically said was, I am looking forward to seeing tiger play, even when his drives are all over, its his scrambling that succeeds.
    A far cry from the way it came out, It was asif he said 'tiger really sucks'.

Go stephen go, trinidad & calgary/cda are rooting for you...that is unless Mikey is leading!
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    Re: ames comments on tiger a mth ago, all he basically said was, I am looking forward to seeing tiger play, even when his drives are all over, its his scrambling that succeeds.
    A far cry from the way it came out, It was asif he said 'tiger really sucks'.
    I didn't think those comments were that far out of line either, but it isn't the first time he has made comments about Tiger. A while back he complained that Tiger was a lousy to be paired with because he never compliments the other players. Subsequently Mike Weir was asked about Ames' comments & he said if you're paired with Tiger and hit a good shot, Tiger will let you know. It's comments like this I'm referring to. Plus I think he's an idiot, Canadian or not.
    I'll be pulling for Greg Owen this week.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    CONGRATS AMES!!!! Huge 6 shot win, one of the best rounds i have watched on tv, more than 8 shots better than average and a 6 shot win!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    IMPRESSIVE, flat out impressive is all one can say about Ames final round today. While others were hacking it around making doubles and triples he was -5, which included a double.
    As for his comments a month ago, well anyone who knows the media must know how they can twist things around. Besides, that is in the past, who really cares?
    Poor Mike, he had a rough day. Let's hope he bounces back for The Masters.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    I can't beleive he gets all those exemptions for that many years! Why so many for the TPC? Its not a major or anything.. I know its regarded as the 5th major but still seems like a lot for winning one tourney.

Camilo V. needed to finnish 3rd to get into the masters... do you think he will get a sponsers exemption? do they do that at the masters?

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    IMPRESSIVE, flat out impressive is all one can say about Ames final round today. While others were hacking it around making doubles and triples he was -5, which included a double.
    As for his comments a month ago, well anyone who knows the media must know how they can twist things around. Besides, that is in the past, who really cares?
    Poor Mike, he had a rough day. Let's hope he bounces back for The Masters.
    Don't you mean bounce back from the Masters? He has yet to play very well since. Lets go Ames, Great round today.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    They don't offer exemptions for the Masters, some of all of the WGC tourneys and other big tourneys.

And as for Ames, even though he is a transplanted Canuck, it is always good to see that Maple Leaf atop the leaderboard. Good job Steve.

And what is going on with Weirsy and final rounds this year? Not very encouraging.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I have to tip my cap to Ames today.. That was impressive.. Even though he walked away with it, the way he played still made it fun to watch.. Some fantastic golf!!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    They don't offer exemptions for the Masters, some of all of the WGC tourneys and other big tourneys.

And as for Ames, even though he is a transplanted Canuck, it is always good to see that Maple Leaf atop the leaderboard. Good job Steve.

And what is going on with Weirsy and final rounds this year? Not very encouraging.
    I'm willing to give Weir a mulligan for this one. There wasn't very many good rounds today, everyone but Ames seemed to struggle at one point or another.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Maybe its me, but do the tv announcers in the US seem oblivious to the fact that he's now a Canadian citizen? I mean, obviouslly they're going to mention he's from Trinidad, but shouldn't they also acknowledge the fact that he is now a Canadian? Either way, great work Mr. Ames.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    True, I didn't see all the scores until just a while ago on TGC. But turned on the tv and Weir was no longer on the leaderboard. Just got that same feeling from the tourney earlier this year. But if Ames could go low, a decent final round was out there. Hope his focus returns for the Masters, now that would be one hell of a comeback.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Mike is still playing much better then he has since 2003! He just needs to finish a tournament and learn to play when he has the lead. The Masters is going to Woods, there's no doubt in my mind. They're just destroying that course with the renovations each year. Soon it'll be an 8000 yard par 70.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar

Ames

Interesting article that I can definitely relate to as a true Canadian. Ames is a champion but Weir is our man...

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie.asp

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I can't beleive he gets all those exemptions for that many years! Why so many for the TPC? Its not a major or anything.. I know its regarded as the 5th major but still seems like a lot for winning one tourney.
    Because it's the strongest field in golf, bar none...

Thread Information