100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

What was the first set you ever bought?

Figured this could get funny!

The first set I ever bought was these Mizuno Cimarron's, with a graphite shaft. I had no idea what I was buying, just knew that Mizuno was a great name. Well, back then I swung around 100 mph, and my shafts just kept snapping. Oops. I almost killed a guy at Emerald Links when my 3 iron snapped!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    You did alot better than me with your first set. Mine was a set of Fairway Cobalts. Driver through to SW. Cheap at Sports Experts in case I didn't like the game. Well we all know how that turned out....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    A set of Top Flite Tours with graphite shafts from the Golf Show in Toronto. Broke two shafts (3-iron and 5-iron) and lost the PW and 5-iron along the way, but not bad for a beginner set. Had some Wilsons after that before picking up the Adams GTs in my 3rd year of playing - which I've been trying to knock outta the bag ever since.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    COSMOS!

It was a full starter set from my Uncle when I was 12... 3-5-7-9, 3w D, putter. They held up for about 1.5 seasons, and then the heads started flying off ... but not @ the shaft, the head was actually snapping @ the neck and through the face, leaving 2 pieces of metal lol. Also, the driver got a big bend in the shaft and I skyed a ball and put a crater i nthe top, but the thing still went straight lol.

Soon after that I got some customs from my uncle's friend made up. XPC2000's, played those for years, they were pretty nice.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    My mother was dating a guy, who's brother was a cpga pro. When he found out I was going to try golf. He gave me his set of TNT Forged irons.

I thought they were no name clubs until yrs later when I realized they were a legitimate cdn co. So I got lucky starting with a decent set.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    My first set of irons were a second hand set of P.G.A. aluminum shafted weapons. boy did I suck back then, but I really loved the game as I do now!!!

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    my first set (after many years of using my dad's old 1200GE's) was bought last winter:

tommy armour 845U, 3-pw. pretty good set. what really struck me was how consistent my distance control became at the cost of about 5 yards.

'course, i went crazy this winter, buying ping I3 blades and cally x-14s on eBay...

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimble
    my first set (after many years of using my dad's old 1200GE's) was bought last winter:

tommy armour 845U, 3-pw. pretty good set. what really struck me was how consistent my distance control became at the cost of about 5 yards.

'course, i went crazy this winter, buying ping I3 blades and cally x-14s on eBay...
    How do you like those x-14 irons? That is what I play with today and I love them!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    A full set of Spalding Executives. Ugly, but I actually hit them pretty well.

These required an over the hosel shaft. I still have them BTW.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I can not recall the make of my first set, however I remember they had Aluminum Shafts. Driver, 3 wood, 3,5,7,9 PW, old Spalding blade putter. I started golfing with my brother and he told me I better get rid of those clubs before I broke the shafts
    I have come a long ways in 25 years

With 4 sets of irons here now, 3 that are forged a friend of mine from work thinks I need to visit our SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM at work
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    The first set I played with were my father's top flite professional blades. These were purchased new by him in 1969.

I then bought a used set of spalding executives, & quickly switched to a used set of yonnex.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Mine were Dunlop Bob Charles blades, bought used for me probably 20-25 years ago. I still have them, and I bet that many a lefty of a certain age has played these.

When I took up golf again two years ago, a buddy and I got ourselves a couple sets of Prince woods and irons that were quite decent, but which we overpaid for. We paid $200 a piece, which is still decent when you see how much Nevada Bob's sells them for, but compared to what you can get for $200 on this board, I wish I'd done more research. I suspect that's a common theme for people who buy begginer sets and then move on

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I had a junior Northwestern set to start of with...Thanks Dad. 1, 3 wd 5,7,9 putter. Things were so much less complicated.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I didn't have my first set long enough to memorize the model...
    My second set however was a set of Big Brothers, which lasted a week before being replaced by a set of 1997 Big Berthas, which lasted a month before being replaced by Top-flite Tours...
    And so it began.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I also got my first set from Sports Experts in case I did not like the game.
    Mizuno Tour Classic Graphite irons and Wilson 1200 woods series. And a Fairway bag to go along with it.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    My first golf set was a 7 piece set of Northwesterns when I was about 8, I kept those until about 14, then came the Wilson Advantage and a few months later I got a set Wilson Killer Whales with graphite shafts. I'm pretty sure I snapped most of these along the way except for the 3i and PW.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    The first set I ever had was a miss matched set of junk.. some northwestern some who knows.. But the first set I ever bought was when I was 15 I worked full time in the summer and bought Taylor Made Burner irons.. I loved those irons.. Had em until my whole bag was stolen 6 yrs ago..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    How do you like those x-14 irons? That is what I play with today and I love them!
    they're great! i can't wait to hit them outside!

the biggest difference over the 845Us is the "softer" feel these irons have. the 845Us really stung me on mis and i developed a crooked left elbow 'cause i got scared of hitting the ground.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Prestwick. driver, 3w, 5w, 3-PW, with possibly the whippiest shafts ever made. Unfortunately, the 3 and 5 woods are still stuck in my bag..maybe i'll have some money this summer. Thankfully, the driver and irons are long gone.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Firrst set was TaylorMade Burner Bubble Woods and Driver and a set of Cobra Baffler Bladed AMS-4000 with firm graphite and oldschool Winn Grips. Pure gold.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    My dad won a set of Campbells ...1wood - pw... I used those clubs from when I was 12 yearsold until i was 24... when I baught my new Iron set, driver, woods, wedges and putter... last month .. cant WAIT for the snow to melt
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Spalding Tru-Flite 3,5,7,9, D, 3W putter, in 1960.

First game ever - Capital Golf Gardens
    Second Glenlea GC. Scored 101
    Third - Rideau Glen

To this day one of my most memorable thrills was actually seeing a golf green for the first time at the Capital. I was amazed that grass could be grown that short.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    First game ever - Capital Golf Gardens
    Third - Rideau Glen
    good idea to post those

I still have the score card from my 1st game.. .

127 @ River bend when I was 12 ... I took lessons and could hit the ball pretty well, but I had NEVER putted once in my life LOL (somehow forgot about that part of the game )... I had over 50 putts on the round.

I will alos never forget taking my 1st shot @ in this round. To me, the 8 ppl watching was the equivalent of a pga tour event crowd, and I was so nervous.

If people remember River Bend from before the course change, the 1st hole was a short straight par 4, but the men's tees were behind the river ... I was sweating carrying 30 yards

Lucky for me I had course management back then, and pulled out my 5i and piped her up the middle. Hitting that shot in front of those people gave me such a sense of accomplishment, and I was completly in love w/ the game from that point on.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Dang, I can't remember my first round... I think it was at Champlain. I remember my first year I played Irish Hills the majority of the time.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The first set that I actually bought myself was a set of Pinnacle irons 3-PW with Apollo steel shafts. The shafts that Apollo made back then were every bit as good as True Temper's stuff, just not as well known on this side of the Atlantic. I can't remeber what happened to them. Probably traded up at some point...

When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    How many times over 100, BC? I'm betting not many...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    The first set I ever played with was Spalding Double Eagles. The first set I ever bought was Powerbilt Grand Slams....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sand Wedge GrassRootsTour is on a distinguished road GrassRootsTour's Avatar
    First full set in my bag were Ben Hogan Apex blades and I was 12. Needless to say the #4 Hogan shafts were way too stiff for me.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    11 piece Northwestern Tom Weiskopf bought in the early 90's. There were retired from my bag for 2006.

Dave

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    1965 Dunlop Maxfli forged blades, steel, wrapped leather grips. $160.

Thread Information