100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bigwin Island

Putter johnnyonetime is on a distinguished road johnnyonetime's Avatar

Bigwin Island

Just wanted to see if anyone on here has played Bigwin Island, if you have what did you think of the course and the club?

I have played there and it has some amazing views and tough holes.

J.O.T
    [COLOR=Navy][I]Johnny One Time[/I][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Skilled in the sport of "Whack-Frig!!"[/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Name dropper

I haven't played it, but when I was sitting having breakfast at Rockey Crest last fall, some people there were talking about playing it and they said it was spectacular...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    I have only heard great things about it. Wide open fairways.. I guess its really expensive there as well.

Sand Wedge GrassRootsTour is on a distinguished road GrassRootsTour's Avatar
    I've played it. Its easily the best golf course I've played. The views are nothng short of amazing. Wild life can be seen on every hole. (watch for the albino deer) The course plays incredibly fair but yet challenging for the better players. Its typical Doug carrick design with huge fairways and small targets for approach shots in order to score well.
    Everyone who plays there will feel as though they ould have scored much better as its sneaky tough. You likely wont lose a ball off the tee but breaking par will take some really good play.

Get out and play this private track before the membership fills up and your no longer able.

You might want to pack a lunch though. 4 sandwiches and 1 beer at the halfway house (you pass a few times) cost the loser at the turn $54.00

NOT being that person .............. priceless!
    Last edited by GrassRootsTour; 03-24-2006 at 08:40 PM.
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

I was lucky enough to work there for two years and was able to play the course many times, I can say that I never became bored with the views or the course. The only problem I have now is comparing every other course I play to Bigwin....tough to match the views.

I do have to agree with you about the expensive nature of the refreshments.

J.O.T

Pitching Wedge boyabouttown is on a distinguished road boyabouttown's Avatar
    This is an absolutely amazing course! You get to play all the shots and, yes, the views are spectacular. You could play the 18th hole all day and never get bored! The staff were also extremely friendly. Definitely worth the price of admission (even if its only once! lol). I would also strongly recommend playing Taboo and Rocky Crest.

Haven't gotten to play either of those two but I hear they are fantastic courses to try out.

It's beginning to look a lot like golf season around here! woo hoo!

9 Iron r2g2 is on a distinguished road

T-Time is booked

The t-time is already booked for June 10th. I've heard and read nothing but great things and we're all getting pretty itchy to get there. I'm even trying to talk my mother-inlaw into buying some property on the island. Wouldn't that be sweet?

The wife lets me have a boyz weekend every June so we travel from Ottawa and base ourselves in Bracebridge (mother-inlaw has property there). We hit one big course (expensive) and spread the rest of our extended weekend around at the many abundant courses in the area. We've played Taboo a couple of years ago, which was excellent, and The Rock last year, which I felt was way too many blind shots.

Anyhow, looking forward to the Bigwin experience.
    [COLOR=Blue]Rob [/COLOR]

7 Iron PinHigh is on a distinguished road PinHigh's Avatar

Bigwin is great.

Ya we are there june 1st!
    Same thing two foursomes of the boys (err well family 4 brothers and 3 cousins lol) and we hit up nice course(s) it used to be tremblant but last year we went to Muskoka n played grandview, deerhurst and bigwin. This year we are doing Muskoka one more time - mainly due to bigwin. (we are dropping deerhurst and adding taboo to the schedule) I would love to own land on that Island. But I already have land on an Island that I do not get to use enough. And it backs on to a better course Crowbush!!

N E ways, if anyone is thinking of the muskoka weekend I used Paramountvacations dot com, to book our "accomodations" . I highly reccomend the cottage called "paradise cove" and I will let you know how "the narrows" is after our stay.

Cheers,
    Pin-high
    "Well, I got a lot of stuff on order. You know... credit trouble"

The Rock

The Rock has some great deals on now (until June 18th?) and they include a meal at the restaurant (i.e. $64 weekend rate after 2:00 pm). I played the same weekend last year after 2:00 and it cost $100 without the added meal.

check out their site http://www.TheRockgolf.com
    [COLOR=Blue]Rob [/COLOR]

Amazing Course

I played Bigwin a few weeks ago and it was a great experience. Most of the fairways are huge and nearly impossible to miss. It was cold and windy when we were there but nothing stopped us from enjoying the day. They layout was great and the views were spectacular. Even the views when looking back up toward the t-boxes offered an incredible sense of beauty. A lot of attention to detail was put into this course.

The only delays we ran into were waiting for the deer to get out of the way. They're everywhere and very tame. We were taking pictures of them from 3 - 4 feet away.
    [COLOR=Blue]Rob [/COLOR]

Gap Wedge focal is on a distinguished road
    it's a pricy track and I'm trying to justify NOT playing by saying that we have free (clublink member free) access to Lake Joe, Grandview and Rocky Crest. what am I really missing and is it worth the 200 to play it.

Lob Wedge i002399 is on a distinguished road

play now

You should play Bigwin this year if you can.

It's a great track.

I saw them at the golf show. If i'm not confused, they are going private next year and are severing off all of it's waterfront into lots and building. Shameful, but that's biz.

Hopefully the vistas arent totally destroyed.

Anyone else with info?

Sand Wedge italfrank is on a distinguished road
    I played it July 1st this year.

Visit my blog for some pics.

http://mytakegolf.blogspot.com

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i002399 View Post
    You should play Bigwin this year if you can.

If i'm not confused, they are going private next year
    You are not confused...

This course looks awesome!

Thread Information