100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    bishop4

Potential Tournament Sites

Hello Everyone:

I have a buddy who is having a dude day in May (getting hitched soon thereafter), and he wants to golf as part of his day, as any sane man should. Trouble is, he is not all that accurate with his irons. Therefore, I am looking for a course that is forgiving for him, withour being boring for the rest (who shoot between 85-95), and will provide a relaxed atmosphere for our 3-4 foursomes to golf on a weekend. So far, I have the following choices, but I wanted to know what "the experts" thought, in the instance I may have missed a potential course. Last year, I planned one of these for a buddy at Pakenham, otherwise I would book there. Here are the choices so far:

Greensmere
    Heritage (never been)
    Les Vieux Moulins
    Mont Cascades
    Cloverdale (best value for money in a back 9 around Ottawa)
    Richmond (back 9 should be mature by now)

Thanks in advance for your time, and I look forward to your comments.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    My vote is for Cloverdale if accuracy is not a premium. Quite open course, although if the wind blows it can be challenging. There are some nicer courses (by reputation) in your list than Cloverdale, but I'm not too familiar with them so I can't too much on them.

If you want a course to have a laid back day and it be not too challenging/ not too easy, try Royal Papineau. Quite an open course, but the elevation changes makes for interesting holes and club selection.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I would second the suggestion for Cloverdale - big fairways and greens, great conditions, good value. Les Vieux Moulins has a nice layout and conditions should be OK in May (it can get pretty dry in July but that may change this year), so I would consider that one too. A few that are not on your list that I would also consider are The Meadows, Manderley and Metcalfe.

Heritage is pretty tough - Le Sorcier has similar terrain but it is a little easier and a lot closer if you want "mountain" golf. Mont Cascades is fun but the conditions in May are usually not that great. The back 9 at Richmond is very short and not much of a challenge for experienced golfers. Greensmere... well, I wouldn't recommend it.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar
    what about canadien

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I agree with Canadian, he'll use his 5 iron and up most of the day because it's not a long course. It has GPS, and cute gals.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'll also give a vote for the Canadian. Lots of variety. It can be challenging, but iif you don't take too many risks, you can shoot fairly low...most fairways are pretty wide. The GPS is always cool, and the gals are always cute.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    I'd vote for Mountain Creek over Cloverdale. Even though it has a low slope rating, off-fairway shots are punished WAY more at Cloverdale than at MC - wind or no wind...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmason31
    I'd vote for Mountain Creek over Cloverdale. Even though it has a low slope rating, off-fairway shots are punished WAY more at Cloverdale than at MC - wind or no wind...
    At least players on neighbouring fairways aren't punished for wayward shots like at MC.

"Richard"
    loc march was challenging but don't remember it being to narrow. I think the perfect course for you is greensmere, its not a hard course, its pretty wide open fairways and has some really fun holes. The 50 foot drop to the green on the par 3 on the back 9, a driveable green from the mens tees and one really fun hole before the par 3 with the drop... if you hit a good drive and catch the slope you can be very close to being on the green, the drop is about 40 feet to the green from the fairway.. which is pretty wide open so let it rip. Now that I think about it, I can't think of a single narrow fairway hole, its as wide open as any course I've played in ottawa
    Last edited by "Richard"; 03-24-2006 at 04:49 AM.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    Mountain Creek is forgiving but has Out of Bounds inside the course proprety which IMO is not right If you ignore the OB, mountain creek is the most forgiving course in the Valley.

bishop4
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. You all make valid points and I am glad you to have your opinions.

In the Olde bag (this year)

TM R540 9 degree
    Hippo 3-wood
    3-PW Olimar 302 SF
    Generic Sand and 60 degree Lob wedges
    TM Rollsa Daytona putter

Thread Information